Week 5 GDT: Broncos vs. NY Jets

broncosfan_101

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

Thank you both for the explanation. Soccer culture has always been fascinating to me. Intersting the way it's structured. I wasn't aware most clubs loose money. I assumed it was similar to American sports. That explains the oil money which I always see attached to the sport, but haven't bothered to read up on it. Similar to what's happened with the PGA/LIV drama. 

Is there a possible solution or is the grip on the sport to tight now? What's stopping that same money from say buying the XFL and paying NFL stars fully guaranteed contracts, etc. and pulling them from the NFL as an example?

There is money to be made in soccer - FIFA make massive money out of the world cup. The Glazers own the Bucs and Man Utd. They purchased Man U for about $1.5billion in 2005. The Glazers then transferred the debt on the loans used to buy the club from themselves to the club - meaning the club was paying out up to $100m a year on the debt. Since they bought the club, the club has paid out more than $1billion in interest and fees - as well as the Glazers siphoning off money as well. The club currently has a debt of something like $600m and the Glazers haven't paid a penny for the club. Recently they have tried to sell the club for somewhere in the region of $6.25billion - meaning they will walk away with that much profit when, as is likely, Sheikh Hamad bin Jassim bin Jaber bin Mohammed bin Thani Al Thani - a Qatari oligarch - buys the club.

But you are right - it is like the PGA/LIV stuff - and yes - if they thought it was attractive enough they could pump money into the XFL - although it appears they are more interested in the NBA at the moment. A sovereign wealth fund Qatar (i.e. the Qatari state) apparently have bought a stake in the company that owns the Wizards and NHL's Capitals.

Edited by jolly red giant
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jolly red giant said:

But you are right - it is like the PGA/LIV stuff - and yes - if they thought it was attractive enough they could pump money into the XFL - although it appears they are more interested in the NBA at the moment. A sovereign wealth fund Qatar (i.e. the Qatari state) apparently have bought a stake in the company that owns the Wizards and NHL's Capitals.

Ya it's been an interesting topic with the NBA. I've been following NBA forever and this first really came up when Kobe got older and Italy actually offered him a crapload to make the switch. It was in a lockout season too but he still ultimately denied them. 

The difference with the NBA stars vs the PGA stars in NBA dudes make most of their money from sponsors, let alone its been their dream to play in the NBA since they were young. The level of money they get is actually not THAT different than the sheiks can offer so, why would they leave? Its actually an interesting situation where many of the leagues stars actually make more per year than their teams generate.

I think this is why the sheiks are going a different way and targeting ownership opportunities as it is actually cheaper and more profitable than to try to outbid 100+ jordan/nike/underarmor/etc contracts to get players to join some random league

6 hours ago, big_palooka said:

What's stopping that same money from say buying the XFL and paying NFL stars fully guaranteed contracts, etc. and pulling them from the NFL as an example?

It's not really how PIF (Saudi money) want to operate.

Remember, they are sportswashing as a means of IMPROVING their reputation. 

Storming into America and shredding their favourite sport at the seems would literally be an international incident as far as foreign policy goes.

Remember, PIF wanted to unite with the PGA before LIV was created.

The Saudis spunking money on soccer players was all as a means of the ultimate prize - their 2034 World Cup bid, which will be successful.

50 minutes ago, lomaxgrUK said:

It's not really how PIF (Saudi money) want to operate.

Remember, they are sportswashing as a means of IMPROVING their reputation. 

Storming into America and shredding their favourite sport at the seems would literally be an international incident as far as foreign policy goes.

Remember, PIF wanted to unite with the PGA before LIV was created.

The Saudis spunking money on soccer players was all as a means of the ultimate prize - their 2034 World Cup bid, which will be successful.

Got you. That make complete sense. 

Last week after Wilson's performance against the Chiefs Dan Orlovsky said it shows he belongs and went on praising him.  Stephen A went crazy on him saying it was one game.  Hell I will say it was one fn drive and I have a feeling that those back shoulder throws weren't by intent, lmfao.  Maybe he convinces me this week but I just don't buy it at this point.  I still think we are a 4/5 win team at this point but if we don't take this one is says a lot of bad things imo.  We win 24-17     

2 hours ago, anewdawn said:

Last week after Wilson's performance against the Chiefs Dan Orlovsky said it shows he belongs and went on praising him.  Stephen A went crazy on him saying it was one game.  Hell I will say it was one fn drive and I have a feeling that those back shoulder throws weren't by intent, lmfao.  Maybe he convinces me this week but I just don't buy it at this point.  I still think we are a 4/5 win team at this point but if we don't take this one is says a lot of bad things imo.  We win 24-17     

I'm not too concerned with wins yet. Progress is different though. Last week for the first time we showed lots of character and heart. A pretty funny game between two bad teams but we didn't lay down and die. It's going to be a long painful process but weeks like last are an indication we're moving in the right direction. (knock on wood!)

• Like 2