2024 Draft Debate and Discussion

Epyon

Add Elliss to the list at #75...not an every down type of DE in this scheme but brings juice off the edge...

#1 Caleb Williams

#9 Rome Odunze

#75 Jonah Elliss

#122 Brandon Coleman

If we stay were we are throughout the draft (highly doubt it) those would be some quality additions.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sugashane said:

Good to see you Soul!

I'm pretty much in the same boat. If the Bears pick is up and Poles has Fashanu, Verse, Bowers and Fuaga all in the same bucket (he thinks they are blue chip talents), then fine. Trade back no more than to 13 to ensure you get one. If you think one is clearly higher and is the elite talent then don't gamble. Just get the standout talent.

You too brother.  Now that most of the dust has settled it seemed like the right time to comment again.  I was sad to see JF go but once I set my emotions about it aside and looked at it strictly from a business standpoint it's the only thing that made sense.  It doesn't happen unless Poles has that #1 overall pick again and he can reset the clock on a QB deal with a guy he and his people believe is an upgrade.

It's pretty clear he'll have some options at #9 that range from one of the top WR, to a DE, to a highly ranked OL.  All I'd like to see is that he stays where can still draft a blue chip guy.  Now that he's built out a lot of the roster what we need most are more difference makers and those guys usually get drafted in the top ten.  The exception this year may be a DT should he go that route. There's no Jalen Carter.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ty21 said:

We need more you 

Hey Ty.  So much was up in the air before the JF trade and a commitment to CW that my mixed emotions made it tough to take a stand one way or the other.  Initially I felt Poles should do what he did last year.  Trade the pick for a haul of picks and possibly a player and use a later pick or a 2025 pick on a QB giving JF another shot with a new OC and better support.

But as time passed it became more apparent that while JF had improved and his arrow was pointing up it still wasn't enough to ignore the lure of having our choice of rookie QB and resetting the clock on a second contract back another four years.  It must have been a tough decision to make but it's obvious the entire offensive staff felt it was best to start over as well.

Now that the QB issue has been settled and FA is over it's easier to take stock of where we are and what more needs to be done.  I like the spot Poles is in because he has several ways he can go including trading down a bit.  I would still like to see him stay where he can draft another blue chip guy.  If that means staying at #9 and taking his BPA there so be it.

The only thing I'm wary of is overspending on a player based on position.  This isn't a top class of DE/Edge guys.  Turner may be the only one whose worth a top ten pick and quite a few feel ATL will take him.  If not then Poles probably should.  He could be a much younger Robt Quinn.  If Turner is gone then the safest bet would likely be the last of the top three WR.

Despite a higher need at edge a WR like Odunze may be BPA on Poles board and within two years at most we'll need another WR to replace Allen.  So we invest now when the talent is there.  I don't know how they view Verse vs Turner but it seems to me that he's not as highly ranked and doesn't seem to be that pure pass rushing RDE they seem to want most.  But maybe they trade down and still take him.

OL is another investment in the future.  Jenkins is up for an extension now and Jones will follow in 2025 so how to they feel about extending one or both?  I don't see Alt falling to #9 but there are at least two or three others who could be in the mix around that area or a few picks later.  So even though they mystery of #1 is over I'm still interested in how Poles will finesse that #9 pick.

There are so many different f'n ways #9 can go, it makes my head hurt:

If MHJ is available at #5 we could ostensibly trade up to get him

Malik Nabers or Rome Odunze could "fall" to #9 and we take them

Dallas Turner could be available

We could trade back a bit if we truly love Byron Murphy II or Jared Verse

We also could trade back if we have our eyes on Brian Thomas Jr, Adonai Mitchell, Xavier Worthy

I haven't even discussed OT/OG/OC options yet. Good grief.

What stands out most to me is within the last year Olu Fashanu was viewed as a lock to go in the top 3 as the best OT in the draft.

If he’s there at 9, it would be real hard to not grab him, unless there’s something I don’t know? Seems like most believe Alt will be the first OT to go now. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, chisoxguy7 said:

What stands out most to me is within the last year Olu Fashanu was viewed as a lock to go in the top 3 as the best OT in the draft.

If he’s there at 9, it would be real hard to not grab him, unless there’s something I don’t know? Seems like most believe Alt will be the first OT to go now. 

I don't believe the caliber of the OL has declined as much as I think the availability of QB and WR has increased to where the point scorers out rank their blockers as far as team needs go.  There's also 6 OT who all carry roughly the same ranking score.  Some will be RT only or move to OG but for teams who also need OL it's a banner year.

• Like 1

With regards to Olu.....  I think the drop is that he didn't really seem to get stronger year to year, and his major weakness is his play strength, where Alt doesn't have that issue in his game.

Other random thoughts here:

1. We are either drafting a TE or getting one in FA immediately after the draft..... New OC was constantly running 2x and even 3x TE sets.... We have 2 guys right now and nothing else. It probably won't be Bowers, but I expect another move there, or maybe even 2 more moves there.  We've done work on Ben Sinnott  (a likely 2nd rounder that maybe hits the third), and I'd really be interested in Jared Wiley later.

2. Alt-LT and Newton-3t are both "local" guys who we can see without a 30 visit, since they either go to college near here or went to highschool near here... We might never hear about any meetings with either.  I don't for a second believe we haven't once talked to Newton, who has been an elite pass rusher as a 3t over 2 seasons, one of which he played on a broken foot.

3. Center is definitely a top area of focus.... We've met with JPJ multiple times now, Zach Frazier, Sedrick Van Pran, and Beaux Limmer. IMO Keep your eye on Limmer in the 4th to us.... I think he's the guy we're targeting if we go other places in earlier picks. Very interesting to know if "Wisconsin" counts as a "local school" for us, since Bortellini is a center prospect with good size and ELITE RAS scores and I haven't heard about him in relation to us even once.

4. The Wildcard to #3 is Graham Barton-OL.... he can play all 5 OL spots and I think we've met with him more than once.... Arm length might force him inside, and he is listed on many sites as a Center prospect (he played Center his Freshman year, and was their LT by this year). He was SUPER high RAS, and really only lacking in arm length/wingspan

5. I don't think the team wants to pay Braxton Jones.... There has been a very noticeable effort to scout potential offensive tackles, even guys who might be considered "Right tackle only" guys...... The BIG exception to that rule is actually my top choice for LT: Amarius Mims.  The guy literally set the record for wingspan at the combine, is a beast in the running game, and is frighteningly lean for a guy that size. Kiran Amegadjie is a guy who's name I keep seeing pop up, and I think he's our priority target in the 3rd.

6. I get the impression the team is lower on Odunze than most think (entirely possible this is just my personal bias seeping in)..... but everything I've heard about Odunze's character makes me think he's the kind of guy the team would be falling over themselves to draft..... and yet we're hearing rumors about "trading up for MHJ" and/or takiing multiple looks at Xavier Worthy.  Frankly our receiver visits/tracking doesn't make a ton of sense currently, given the other targets we've looked at

If there's any truth to the rumor that AZ is asking for 3 1st round picks for their #4 pick I believe we can pretty much ignore the "trade up for MHJr" stuff.  As for Odunze there's plenty of tape on him and his character is off the charts so maybe they believe there's nothing more to learn.

Since there's always a lot of feints and bluffs every year at this time we've kinda learned over the years to not put all that much stock in visits.  Many are meaningless for anything other than to throw another team off and others are to learn about players of interest if they eventually become FA.

7 hours ago, soulman said:

If there's any truth to the rumor that AZ is asking for 3 1st round picks for their #4 pick I believe we can pretty much ignore the "trade up for MHJr" stuff. 

i mean, that's pretty much the expected vikings trade, so that makes sense

22 minutes ago, HuskieBear said:

i mean, that's pretty much the expected vikings trade, so that makes sense

They're prepared to trade with someone.  That much seems certain.  The question is how badly does AZ want MHJr?  If AZ isn't interested of they're asking too much the Vikes still have SD and the NYG to call.  The Giants say they'd love to trade down.

If AZ does trade it's pretty certain SD will take either MHJr or Nabers.  Then comes the NYG.  For those who covet MHJr what would NYG want for an exchange of #9 for #6?  The delta is 250 points without any premium added.  Would they take a 2025 2nd for it because we don't have the 2024 ammo to do it?

It's gonna be an interesting enough start to the 1st round to watch what happens.

Edited by soulman

Went though and took a few small trade downs  that focused on getting draft capital this draft, and got a hell of a class together. Doubt several guys are available at this point but whatever.