Bears getting Sweaty (Trading for Montez Sweat from Commanders)

The Gnat

Just now, minutemancl said:

I could see an argument for Josh Sweat being a better pure pass rusher (although it is close), but overall I'm taking Montez Sweat every time.

Ya I meant more as in where they will be in 2-3 years than a snapshot right now.

Montez clearly has been better to this point. This is Josh's third year being a full time player though and he is just starting to hit his peak. Comparing their pressure numbers is pretty revealing. Montez just kind of is what he is. Reminds me of a bigger more athletic BG a bit. Very good all around player but not a star pass rusher.

1 minute ago, scar988 said:

He probably did want to go to Atlanta. (Hold on, not being a homer here. He's from Stone Mountain in the ATL Area and lives here in the offseason.)

ATL at least has a promising future with a lot of offensive playmakers and a good defense if they can figure out how to fire Arthur Smith into the ranch dimension so their playmakers can finally touch the ball.

Chicago has nothing.

Just now, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

ATL at least has a promising future with a lot of offensive playmakers and a good defense if they can figure out how to fire Arthur Smith into the ranch dimension so their playmakers can finally touch the ball.

Chicago has nothing.

He'd be a great piece to add to the defense for sure.

7 minutes ago, redsoxsuck05 said:

Why did Washington spend high picks on D-Lineman every year if they were going to let them go because they didn't want to put all their cap into the D-Line? Allen, Sweat, Payne, and Young were all drafted within 2-3 years of each other!

It’s not like they really wanted to do that. They’d drafted the first 3 before they landed in the spot to take the “generational” Chase Young. For a brand new regime, which we now know is very much a “color inside the lines, take no chances” type of group, it was a pretty obvious choice to just take the guy that everyone loved with their first major move.

They never had a real plan of how to navigate the situation, which has become clear over the years. Young being gone for basically two whole seasons certainly complicated things, as he’s probably the most valuable out of all 4 of them when he’s healthy — but they still can’t have a great deal of certainty in what they’ve got long-term with him. Some body issues and some head issues still seem to linger. 

That said, fortunately this trade deadline seems to have provided them with a legitimate “out.” Keeping Sweat for 4 cheap seasons and then trading him for a high 2nd rounder once he gets expensive is a pretty reasonable outcome.

• Like 2

This is why you should fire people rather than keep them on as lame ducks.

If it isn't working, don't leave them in a position where they have continued power, because they'll make short sighted dumb mistakes like this one in order to consolidate that power and try and keep their jobs.

Trading what's overwhelmingly likely to be the #33 pick, again, for a player who is literally a free agent after this year and can leave is franchise malpractice, for a GM who's GOING TO BE FIRED AFTER THIS YEAR REGARDLESS. 

Sports franchises are just so damn badly run it's astounding.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

This is why you should fire people rather than keep them on as lame ducks.

If it isn't working, don't leave them in a position where they have continued power, because they'll make short sighted dumb mistakes like this one in order to consolidate that power and try and keep their jobs.

Trading what's overwhelmingly likely to be the #33 pick, again, for a player who is literally a free agent after this year and can leave is franchise malpractice, for a GM who's GOING TO BE FIRED AFTER THIS YEAR REGARDLESS. 

Sports franchises are just so damn badly run it's astounding.

You’re 100% right about this, of course, but it is kinda funny that it was our lame ducks negotiating this deal with CHI’s lame ducks. I wasn’t sure which group you meant at first 😂

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, The Juice said:

Couldn't they get him as a free agent next summer AND keep a premium pick?

No b/c someone like Atlanta would have traded for and extended him. Still, questionable move IMO

Edited by adamq
  • Like 1

I don't get why the Bears are getting so much hate for this. 

"Just sign him in FA!" - Seriously? Someone was gonna trade for him & whoever did was unlikely to let him walk. If the Bears wanted Sweat, this was the way. 

"OMG you're supposed to be tanking!" - They are. That doesn't mean you don't add good players when opportunity presents itself. This is a team that could very well be a playoff contender with a new rookie QB next year. They are supplying THAT team. 

"So expensive compared to rookie deal!" - Sure. And the Bears have the most cap space in the league. They have the luxury of doing this with all the picks they've acquired. 

• Like 1

Just now, SaveOurSonics said:

"Just sign him in FA!" - Seriously? Someone was gonna trade for him & whoever did was unlikely to let him walk. If the Bears wanted Sweat, this was the way. 

"OMG you're supposed to be tanking!" - They are. That doesn't mean you don't add good players when opportunity presents itself. This is a team that could very well be a playoff contender with a new rookie QB next year. They are supplying THAT team. 

"So expensive compared to rookie deal!" - Sure. And the Bears have the most cap space in the league. They have the luxury of doing this with all the picks they've acquired. 

I like that take, but I don't agree with that take.  

• Like 1

Just now, TankWilliams said:

I like that take, but I don't agree with that take.  

Looks at the Texans. Legitimately competitive with good rookie play. I don't think this Bears roster is THAT far off. 

You add Caleb Williams with Khalil Herbert, Roschon Johnson, DJ Moore, Cole Kmet, and perhaps Marvin Harrison Jr to a defense with Montez Sweat & some other guys (lol) and that's a team that can compete in what should be a fairly weak NFCN.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, SaveOurSonics said:

Is he really a "premier pass rusher" as the PR release says? Who could they have gotten for less compensation? Why are they letting a guy who is probably getting fired make these decisions? Those are my questions SIR