Playoff rankings

MWil23

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I don't think the committee is going to "penalize" the rest of the Florida State team because of the injury, but I do think if they win but not impressively their the #4 team.

No one is being penalized by not being included.

Again, I recognize it's not fair. Sucks that Travis got hurt. I feel for him and his teammates, but no team is algorithmically entitled to a spot.

Edited by ramssuperbowl99
  • Like 1

Just now, ramssuperbowl99 said:

No one is being penalized by not being included.

Again, I recognize it's not fair. Sucks that Travis got hurt. I feel for him and his teammates, but no team is algorithmically entitled to a spot.

They've been a top 4 team this entire season.  Jordan Travis gets hurts, and they continue to win.  That seems like penalizing to me.

22 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

FSU is really the only team I'd put my foot down on and say no way. Bama isn't far behind.

The elephant in the room is injuries to the PAC-12 winner, Michigan, or Georgia. This did not work out well for the committee, they're in a no-win situation.

Having Texas below the Top 6 is a bad sign for them I feel like for some reason. Have we ever seen that big of a jump in the final week?

43 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I don't think a win over a 9-3 Oklahoma State team holds that much weight if we're being honest.  If the committee truly believed that Texas was better than Ohio State, they'd be ahead of them this week.  It'd be a LOT different if they were able to face Oklahoma again, and a chance to avenge their loss.

I keep forgetting Oklahoma isnt in the conference title game, that makes alot more sense. 

51 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I’d listen to an argument for about any team except for Alabama over Texas tbh. I don’t think it matters because I think Georgia probably rolls, but who knows.

The PAC winner, Georgia, and Michigan seem to be layups.

Then if Texas wins along with FSU, the committee probably takes FSU but that’ll be a disaster come R1.

I think playoff expansion is good for about everyone.

I think the only layup the Pac12 winner really. If Georgia and Michigan lose this weekend things get very interesting imo

What if FSU and Texas both lose. 

Oregon and Washington put on another classic for the ages and Oregon wins on a last second play? Is it between Washington and OSU at that point ?  I think OSU would get the nod due to brand but Washington would have the better win and a split with the team they lost too. Washington would also be getting punished for playing a championship game. 

3 hours ago, BigC421/ said:

What if FSU and Texas both lose

Oregon and Washington put on another classic for the ages and Oregon wins on a last second play? Is it between Washington and OSU at that point ?  I think OSU would get the nod due to brand but Washington would have the better win and a split with the team they lost too. Washington would also be getting punished for playing a championship game. 

What happens in the Bama/GA and Michigan/Iowa game? If Bama wins things get very interesting in that scenario. Bamas loss is worse but their win is definitely better too

Another great thing that starts next season is the Big Ten isn’t locked into this ridiculous divisional championship game and we can see the best two teams duke it out. For years we have been robbed of seeing the two best teams play for the conference championship game really for no good reason. The best three teams in the conference come out of the Big Ten East basically every season. 

Edited by NateDawg
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, BigC421/ said:

What if FSU and Texas both lose. 

1.) Georgia
2.) Michigan
3.) Oregon
4.) Ohio State

Pretty easy.  The only way both Oregon and Washington both make it is if there is some poor officiating mistake that costs Washington the game.

21 hours ago, CWood21 said:

I don't think a win over a 9-3 Oklahoma State team holds that much weight if we're being honest.  If the committee truly believed that Texas was better than Ohio State, they'd be ahead of them this week.  It'd be a LOT different if they were able to face Oklahoma again, and a chance to avenge their loss.

Eh what's the point of scheduling Alabama, and beating them, winning your conference with the same amount of losses as Ohio State if you're only going to lose out on a bid to them? Texas should get the bid over the Buckeyes by virtue of being a 1 loss conference champion and having that Bama win. 

I don't think beating Penn State and Notre Dame is enough to carry them over Texas even if Texas doesn't have a signature 2nd win. Notre Dame is a 3 loss team so that's more of a "name" win anyways. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, beekay414 said:

Eh what's the point of scheduling Alabama, and beating them, winning your conference with the same amount of losses as Ohio State if you're only going to lose out on a bid to them?

Prestige for the team/school, money, and recruiting opportunities.

Not saying Texas should or shouldn't make the top 4 in the doomsday scenario where people start losing, but there's definitely plenty of reasons to schedule the mega non conference game besides a CFB playoff audition and that shouldn't be the only tiebreaker.

1 hour ago, beekay414 said:

Eh what's the point of scheduling Alabama, and beating them, winning your conference with the same amount of losses as Ohio State if you're only going to lose out on a bid to them? Texas should get the bid over the Buckeyes by virtue of being a 1 loss conference champion and having that Bama win. 

I don't think beating Penn State and Notre Dame is enough to carry them over Texas even if Texas doesn't have a signature 2nd win. Notre Dame is a 3 loss team so that's more of a "name" win anyways. 

One really good win doesn't outweigh an entirety of a schedule.  It's pretty clear based on the rankings that the committee values the Big 10 and SEC substantially more than the Big 12 or ACC.  Right now, Texas' schedule consists of a big win over Alabama, a "good" loss against Oklahoma, and a whole lot of meh.  Right now, Ohio State has a good win over Penn State, a "great" loss against Michigan, and a solid schedule.  They're actually pretty similar.  Ohio State has the "better" loss, while Texas has the "better" win.  The tiebreaker is the other games.  Ohio State is 2-1 against teams with at least 9 wins.  Texas is 1-1 with that same criteria.

Right now, the whole argument is the gap in "best wins" and "best loss".  If you value the better of the two wins, Texas clearly deserves it.  If you value who has the more excusable loss, Ohio State is the program deserves it.  Even as an OU fan, the Big 12 isn't great this year.  9 of the 14 teams are bowl-eligible, and 2 more ended up at 5 wins.  The Big 10 had 8 of 14 be bowl-eliglble and 3 additional teams ended up at 5 wins.  Whoever you felt like was the 2nd best team in the Big 12 (whether it be Oklahoma State, Oklahoma, etc.) seemed to pale in comparison to Texas.  Ohio State and Michigan always seemed like 1A and 1B in the Big 10.

13 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

One really good win doesn't outweigh an entirety of a schedule.  It's pretty clear based on the rankings that the committee values the Big 10 and SEC substantially more than the Big 12 or ACC.  Right now, Texas' schedule consists of a big win over Alabama, a "good" loss against Oklahoma, and a whole lot of meh.  Right now, Ohio State has a good win over Penn State, a "great" loss against Michigan, and a solid schedule.  They're actually pretty similar.  Ohio State has the "better" loss, while Texas has the "better" win.  The tiebreaker is the other games.  Ohio State is 2-1 against teams with at least 9 wins.  Texas is 1-1 with that same criteria.

Right now, the whole argument is the gap in "best wins" and "best loss".  If you value the better of the two wins, Texas clearly deserves it.  If you value who has the more excusable loss, Ohio State is the program deserves it.  Even as an OU fan, the Big 12 isn't great this year.  9 of the 14 teams are bowl-eligible, and 2 more ended up at 5 wins.  The Big 10 had 8 of 14 be bowl-eliglble and 3 additional teams ended up at 5 wins.  Whoever you felt like was the 2nd best team in the Big 12 (whether it be Oklahoma State, Oklahoma, etc.) seemed to pale in comparison to Texas.  Ohio State and Michigan always seemed like 1A and 1B in the Big 10.

The quality loss argument is something I don't abide by. You lost. Doesn't matter who has the "better" one. They both lost to their arch rivals. 

The B1G isn't great outside of 4 teams this year either and that's with including Iowa who, well, isn't really great, just beat up on that meh. So I don't see how Texas has a whole lot of meh but Ohio State has a solid schedule. Ohio State has 2 great games (also depends on how you feel about a James Franklin coached Penn State), 1 decent game and 9 meh games. Texas has 1 great game, 1 decent game and 10 meh games. You get down to that, you go with the best win, not the best loss. 

Texas, with a win, is also 2-1 vs teams with 9 wins so that criteria goes out the window. 

Texas has the better win and a conference title. Texas should get the bid over Ohio State. 

Edited by beekay414
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Are you comparing their resumes now, or factoring in a Texas win while Ohio State is off?  As they are now, I can see the debate, but some of that becomes a wash or advantage Texas, with a win.   Texas is 1-0 against teams with at least 11 wins, Ohio State is 0-1.  

Edited by OkeyDoke21