Playoff rankings

MWil23

7 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Florida State's inclusion or exclusion should be based heavily on how their offense and specifically QB plays. I didn't see the Florida game, but so far the verdict is bad.

If they win but play poorly on offense, no way they deserve it.

I hate the idea of the look test over winning games. If we are talking best teams, that’s subjective. If we are talking winning a game, that’s objective.

You can’t take a one loss team over a power five team that goes undefeated. 

This whole thing is going to be easier in a year, certainly. The only debate then will be some seeding issues. This all will go better if Florida State just loses this week. I don’t want to see a team that isn’t elite playing in the playoffs but at the same time don’t agree with leaving out an undefeated FSU. 

9 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Florida State's inclusion or exclusion should be based heavily on how their offense and specifically QB plays. I didn't see the Florida game, but so far the verdict is bad.

The first half was really bad against UF. Got better in the 2nd but still nothing great and they leaned on Benson a lo IIRC. Louisville has a good defense so it'll be a good test.

Still feel like it has to be (in no order):

UM
UGA (assuming they win)
PAC12 winner
Texas (assuming they win)

If Bama wins, they have to be included as well. This is where someone gets angry b/c you can't keep Bama and UGA out.

1 minute ago, NateDawg said:

Today's FSU wouldn't go undefeated.

We only get 3 games out of this and making one a bye because of willful exclusion of relevant information is silly. This is not a trial and we aren't a judiciary. Don't pick the team missing it's most important player because their resume looked pretty with him.

4 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

The first half was really bad against UF. Got better in the 2nd but still nothing great and they leaned on Benson a lo IIRC. Louisville has a good defense so it'll be a good test.

Still feel like it has to be (in no order):

UM
UGA (assuming they win)
PAC12 winner
Texas (assuming they win)

If Bama wins, they have to be included as well. This is where someone gets angry b/c you can't keep Bama and UGA out.

Yeah again didn't see it but they had 4 delay of game penalties. Doesn't even include if they called timeouts as bailouts.

Dude can barely get the snap out on time why are we pretending he'd lead FSU to a natty.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Yeah again didn't see it but they had 4 delay of game penalties. Doesn't even include if they called timeouts as bailouts.

Dude can barely get the snap out on time why are we pretending he'd lead FSU to a natty.

Yep, agreed. It really sucks for FSU but the realistic fans would have to agree here. Travis is a hell of a QB and this guy hasn't been good.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Today's FSU wouldn't go undefeated.

We only get 3 games out of this and making one a bye because of willful exclusion of relevant information is silly. This is not a trial and we aren't a judiciary. Don't pick the team missing it's most important player because their resume looked pretty with him.

I think you have to stick with a philosophy. Any one of us pick which of the four teams are the best based on an eye test. For instance, Georgia could beat Alabama by a couple points and we could decide Alabama is one of the four best teams in the country without any real thing to point to relating to winning games. I don’t care about the philosophy of taking the four best teams if it trumps on field results. If there’s any subjectivity, I would go with the team that hasn’t lost a game 10 times out of 10.

51 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

How do you weigh deserve? 

4 best? Definitely not 

Undefeated and one of the four best resumes? Definitely 

Alright guys, I'll take FSU's CFB playoff opponent in a sig bet for whatever length of time you want at even odds.

Also I find the word resume use here kind of ironic, given that the point of a resume is to be a short starting point to determine if someone is worthy of an in-person evaluation, and is never used as the end-all-be-all.

Edited by ramssuperbowl99

22 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Alright guys, I'll take FSU's CFB playoff opponent in a sig bet for whatever length of time you want at even odds.

Also I find the word resume use here kind of ironic, given that the point of a resume is to be a short starting point to determine if someone is worthy of an in-person evaluation, and is never used as the end-all-be-all.

Which is also perfectly fine considering  I heard Greg McElroy say “Alabama has beaten 3 ranked teams” as though somehow a 4 loss “ranked team” is legitimate.

I’m getting serious 2014 big10 championship vibes from this ACC game. Not that it will be 59-0 or anything but FSU is going to come into this game full of piss and vinegar.  I’m expecting 4 qters of pedal to the floor football from then leaving the committee with no choice but to keep them in.  They have the running back, wrs, Oline and defense to blow the overrated fighting Brohms off the field.  I think they win this one by +20 and if Oregon wins a close one FSU willl finish 3rd. If UW wins or Oregon blows them out then FSU holds at 4. 

FSU without Travis probably is not one of the 4 best teams in the country and I won't throw a huge fit if they beat Louisville and are left out...but what a gut punch to the rest of the roster to leave them out because 1 player got hurt, especially to the seniors who made it through some bad years, go undefeated, then be offered a bogus consolation prize.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, seminoles1 said:

FSU without Travis probably is not one of the 4 best teams in the country and I won't throw a huge fit if they beat Louisville and are left out...but what a gut punch to the rest of the roster to leave them out because 1 player got hurt, especially to the seniors who made it through some bad years, go undefeated, then be offered a bogus consolation prize.

Definitely don't disagree and sympathize with the rest of the players. Not their fault the most important, and arguably best player, got hurt. They need to blow out Louisville and make a statement to ensure they get in. 

8 hours ago, NateDawg said:

I hate the idea of the look test over winning games. If we are talking best teams, that’s subjective. If we are talking winning a game, that’s objective.

My issue with this line of thinking is it is contradictory. You are leaving the group of 5 specifically because of what we feel those teams are (subjective) not objective (their wins). That isn't an issue this year, but if you aren't giving the same 0 loss group a 5 and auto inclusion you are using subjective means. And then there is no reason you couldn't or shouldn't use it in general. 

6 hours ago, mse326 said:

My issue with this line of thinking is it is contradictory. You are leaving the group of 5 specifically because of what we feel those teams are (subjective) not objective (their wins). That isn't an issue this year, but if you aren't giving the same 0 loss group a 5 and auto inclusion you are using subjective means. And then there is no reason you couldn't or shouldn't use it in general. 

It’s a flawed system the way it is. So you have to pick your battles and what has the most weight. An argument could be made at times in the past that a three loss team is a better team than a team that is undefeated or has one loss. Id never take that team over someone that’s undefeated just because of an eye test or what the variance is on the scoreboard. Every coach game plans to win each week, it’s not even part of the mindset to aim for a certain point differential. I understand there are talent discrepancies that lead to these differentials, but I think you have to reward wins if the margin appears close. And I don’t think it’s right to take a team out of it for having a player injured in not for a result on the field. You could put any team in that situation, and that team would be penalized all the same.