Playoff rankings

MWil23

But "what they have done" IS treat the top 4 spots differently than all the rest. Because those are the ones that determine the championship - none of the others do.

Fun little conspiracy I've read is that they're ranking Oregon so high is so that they have an easier path to send the Pac-12 out with one last 'true' Rose Bowl of Big Ten vs. Pac-12 - in this case Michigan-Washington/Oregon in the 3 spot. Which does sound like what the committee might do, cynically enough - after all people have been talking about Florida State getting jumped, even if they remain perfect.

That said, honestly wouldn't surprise me that in the case that the championship games go Michigan/Florida State/Texas/Alabama/Oregon, that Oregon stays put at 5 despite beating 3 Washington while Texas jumps to 3 and Alabama goes to 4 to keep the SEC in while still respecting the H2H result. Because after all, the win over Washington would now not be as good as a win over Alabama, and the rest of the resume still leans Texas' way. The real question is what happens if Michigan/Florida State/Texas/Alabama/Washington win - do you knock out an undefeated P5 conference winner, a H2H winner, or the SEC champion? I have a sinking feeling I know the answer, but still... better to have the H2H argument than to not.

2 hours ago, NateDawg said:

I think the committees worst scenario is both Texas and Alabama winning on Saturday. They would have some really tough decisions. Would likely mean Georgia is left out and I don’t really think you can take Alabama without also taking Texas. JMO.

Florida St, as well.  That gets messy.  

15 hours ago, Longhorns90 said:

Re: the new rankings - I'm disappointed, but not shocked that Texas is still sitting at 7 - it reeks of 'we didn't want to punish Ohio State too much for a close loss against Michigan, and Texas still has one game to make it up.' Which is still terrible logic for rankings that should be evaluated in full every week, but I guess we'll see what everything looks like in the end. If we don't make it, have no one to blame more than us running the freaking prevent defense for the last minute in Dallas.

I dont have a problem with Texas being behind Ohio St, because they will get a chance to jump them but the Bama/Texas ranking will be the one to follow for sure. 

4 hours ago, NateDawg said:

I think the committees worst scenario is both Texas and Alabama winning on Saturday. They would have some really tough decisions. Would likely mean Georgia is left out and I don’t really think you can take Alabama without also taking Texas. JMO.

Obviously I’m biased but if Georgia loses a close game, do you throw out their chance at a three-peat, especially if one of the other top 4 teams lose as well?  That’s going to garner a little bit more attention with a loss than FSU without Travis, even with a win from FSU here.  I could definitely see ratings justifying that one. 

Just now, naptownskinsfan said:

Obviously I’m biased but if Georgia loses a close game, do you throw out their chance at a three-peat, especially if one of the other top 4 teams lose as well?  That’s going to garner a little bit more attention with a loss than FSU without Travis, even with a win from FSU here.  I could definitely see ratings justifying that one. 

I see what you are saying, but how do you put them in? The results on the field matter. I’m saying the same about Ohio State. I am also biased and would say Ohio State is better than Texas or Florida State but if those teams take care of business, they should be in the playoff absolutely over them. 

Alabama and Georgia both know what is at stake. It’s an extension of the playoffs, kind of like Michigan/Ohio State last week.

Alabama/Texas/FSU wins:

Bama, undefeated conference champ FSU, 1 loss or 0 loss conference champ UW or Oregon, 0 loss Michigan. which one of them would you put Georgia ahead of? I’m not even throwing Texas into the mix. 

Now if Florida State loses, I think UGA is your #4. And frankly, I do think FSU is likely to lose, given their quarterback situation.

All that said, Alabama almost lost to a bad Auburn team last week, and it was a miraculous set of events that led that to not happen. I fully expect Georgia to beat them and this isn’t really going to matter. Just my opinion.

13 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I think if OSU/UM is a de facto elimination game then so is this one, and regardless of the outcome if Texas wins they should be in…in this case.

So you take the winner of the SEC and Texas, along with the winner of the PAC and UM, assuming FSU loses.

If for some reason FSU wins, you might find an SEC or PAC completely shut out.

2 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

If the goal is to get the 4 best teams in, if Bama beats UGA, they deserve to be in regardless of what FSU does since Travis is hurt. Then you have UM and Texas b/c I highly doubt they will lose.

Nobody will convince me that the winner of the PAC isn’t as good as anyone else on a neutral field with what we have seen so far.

• Like 1

It seems like there are years where the number 4 seed seems to be a layup round 1. This year I think could go one of two directions. I think Texas or Florida State would both get smashed by Georgia. Florida State mostly because of their quarterback situation.

I think a field of Georgia, Michigan, Oregon/UW winner is really solid top 3. I see a drop off past that and unless Oregon is the number 4, I think UGA or UM as the 1-seed likely puts it to their opponent pretty hard R1. Oregon is tough right now. I would not be surprised to see them really put it on Washington in the rematch this week. If they and Florida State, both win, I still think Florida State would be the #4. 

Edited by NateDawg
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

If they and Florida State, both win, I still think Florida State would be the #4. 

Florida State's inclusion or exclusion should be based heavily on how their offense and specifically QB plays. I didn't see the Florida game, but so far the verdict is bad.

If they win but play poorly on offense, no way they deserve it.