Joe Barry HAS Been Fired, Who Do You Want Next?

Brit Pack

I'll throw Don Martindale's name out there. Word is that he and Daboll don't really get along well, so perhaps he becomes available this off-season.  Old timer, but run that aggressive style of scheme that most of us want.  Gave Love fits for the majority of the game last week and LaFleur speaks highly of him. 

36 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

Malpractice is a good description if Barry is retained much longer.  Malpractice by MLF, and perhaps the trio of stooges depending upon their stance in all of this.  Regardless, the organization looks foolish and will look worse if action isn’t taken.

Who are the stooges?

this is a short term blunder bringing Barry back for sure. No doubt about it. But if 2023 brings us a good young franchise QB in Love and a huge infusion of young talent, with more picks and cap space to come for 2024, it’s a big win for MlF, Gute, and even Murphy. It more than makes up for the Barry blunder, especially if they get it right in 2024.

• Like 1

kYnq3rO.png

If Barry goes tomorrow, who's taking over as DC and making all the calls?  Williams?  Our pass defense is much better than our run defense (Sorry, Jerry).  Who would the defense rally around?  Give one of them a shot.

5 minutes ago, thrILL! said:

kYnq3rO.png

If Barry goes tomorrow, who's taking over as DC and making all the calls?  Williams?  Our pass defense is much better than our run defense (Sorry, Jerry).  Who would the defense rally around?  Give one of them a shot.

Not much to choose from, but I'd say Jerry Montgomery as interim DC with a lot of help. The lack of coordination experience may give LaFleur pause in canning Barry in season.  I'd make the move now, because there has to be accountability. Maybe the team rallies around the change and pride takes over.  

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, thrILL! said:

My guess would be Montgomery.

1 hour ago, thrILL! said:

kYnq3rO.png

I think it part of the reason why we won’t fire him in season unfortunately. Jerry Montgomery is the longest tenured but he’s probably gotta go too.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Not much to choose from, but I'd say Jerry Montgomery as interim DC with a lot of help. The lack of coordination experience may give LaFleur pause in canning Barry in season.  I'd make the move now, because there has to be accountability. Maybe the team rallies around the change and pride takes over.  

based on a quick wiki look, Jerry Montgomery hasn't been a D coordinator since 2005, at a low level college and he's been a d line coach here in some capacity since 2015.  I get that this would be "interim", but I'd think, based on the D-line play, that he's actually part of the problem.

Greg Williams doesn't appear to have any coordinator experience at all.

These are the two guys that would seem to be 2nd in line to Barry.  I would suggest this lack of bench depth on the staff helps explain why the defense has had the same sorts of recurring problems for I don't know how many years.

I'm not saying that a guy couldn't be successful without significant coordinator experience but it seems like an indictment of the program that there is such a lack of experience on the D staff, and maybe it helps explain the long term issues.  It is hard for me to imagine that getting this experience should happen at the NFL level.

8 hours ago, {Family Ghost} said:

This in itself is some of the issue .. the assistant staff on defense really doesn't have experience at all.  If there isn't 1 person from that staff that could even maybe take over, that's an indictment on Barry and MLF.  Good grief, when one thinks about that .. sad.

28 minutes ago, coachbuns said:

This in itself is some of the issue .. the assistant staff on defense really doesn't have experience at all.  If there isn't 1 person from that staff that could even maybe take over, that's an indictment on Barry and MLF.  Good grief, when one thinks about that .. sad.

I've been thinking about that too. MLF had no contingency plan if Barry **** the bed again, which everyone knew was going to happen.

Thinking of it this way....

We are doing this all wrong.  We are always behind in defensive trends.  Analytics keeps growing.

We need to move on from Barry, no doubt.

But we do not need to hire anyone.

All we need?  AI.

Maybe it is Watson.  Maybe ChatGPT.  

But I'm convinced that this is the way to go.

Hire a former defensive player to be an assistant.  Their job?  Motivation.  Then use AI to call the games.

• Like 4