Coach of the year

Steelersfan43

50 minutes ago, detfan782004 said:

He has amazing talent to work with. It's not like he's taking scrubs and winning. 

roster talent is a must to consider 

Like, negatively?  Coaches have a say in the players they get, and how they work into the scheme.  To mark some coaches down because the players they advocate for are are better than the other team's guys seems illogical.  It's like all the good teams with good coaches also have good players.

In my prior post I gave Ryans credit for bringing in a player or two at every level to help make the Texans better.  I guess I was supposed to mark him down for helping to bring in good players that fit the scheme?

Is years on the job is a negative too?  Can it also be discarded when the team sucked the prior year or have been average for a long time?

Edited by Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420

50 minutes ago, detfan782004 said:

He has amazing talent to work with. It's not like he's taking scrubs and winning. 

roster talent is a must to consider 

He's the best coach, though. If I was a defensive coordinator, I fear Shanahan the most. 

If you were a GM and got to choose any coach to coach one unit, IMO it would be Shanahan coaching offense (with Reid second). 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AngusMcFife said:

The Browns have the 27th ranked offense and 1st ranked defense (by DVOA). 

Seems like that's a case for Jim Schwartz as assistant coach of the year. Stefanski is the playcaller and leader of a terrible unit (terrible due to injuries, but terrible nonetheless). 

I do believe that Schwartz will win coordinator of the year. 

However, saying that Stefanski is just in the charge of the offense isn't how this works. It's never how that works. He's a head coach...he's in charge of the final results, point blank. 

• Like 6

Stefanski's 2023 is kinda similar to Shanny's 2022 in terms of how the QB room played out. 

2022 - Went from Lance to Jimmy to Purdy, even though Purdy was the last QB on the depth chart, he's ended up being the best QB. Who knows if he would have been this good if he started week 1 as there were some growing pains to start the offense week 1. Shanny definitely deserves credit for getting a 7th round pick playing well

2023 - Went from Watson to DTR to PJ Walker to Flacco. Even though Flacco wasn't even on the team 5 weeks ago he's still the best QB in the building. Stefanski definitely deserves credit for getting Flacco playing well because, lets be real, Flacco hasn't been this good in like 5+ years 

I do have questions about the 10-5 Browns - their point differential is only +34 (exactly the same as the 7-8 Saints for example, and 10-5 Cowboys are at +165) and they had some fortunate luck in wins against the 49ers (2 missed FG's by SF, 1 missed FG by the Browns), Colts (bad PI call at the end), & Bears (dropped hail mary TD). The Browns are 6-2 in one-score games and as you see with the Vikings & Giants in 2022, that evens out next year. But i think overcoming the injury luck is very impressive ; i can't think of a more banged up team who keeps finding ways to win. They can fight it out with the best & have beaten the Ravens & 49ers.

Shanny deserved COTY in 2022 and Stefanski deserves it in 2023. 

Edited by 49ersfan

23 minutes ago, AngusMcFife said:

The reason he needed 4 QBs is because he cut Dobbs and in preseason decided that DRT and PJ Walker were functional QBs, all while Flacco was sitting on the couch awaiting a call. 

Dobbs is overrated 

we didnt' even have PJ in the preseason yet

and yes Flacco was on the couch and we got him up to speed QUICK

Disclaimer: Biased opinion here. Going to share some facts though.

The Browns are down to their 4th and 5th Offensive Tackles starting each week. Lost their Pro Bowl/All-pro RB. Have a QB that was sitting on the couch, oh and by the way he's the 4th QB (Stefanski did NOT cut Dobbs, the GM Berry traded him). #1 CB has missed multiple games. Two Key DL out for the year. Both Safties have missed time and one is out for the year. DPOY candidate is playing with one arm

All teams suffer injuries. But I dare anyone to put together a worse list of injuries than this team has faced. 

Like I said, this is a biased opinion, but I don't think people understand the depth of injuries Stefanski has faced. Browns are 10-5 and currently the #5 seed. Seems like Coach of the Year material.

Edited by hanford29
spelling error