Quantifying Our Quarterback Quandary...

vike daddy

I have put down almost all hope for Dobbs and Mullens being worthwhile backup QBs.  If the team can't find a better backup than them, I would rather see a young question mark given an opportunity.

I haven't put down all hope in Hall, but the team needs to have another QB behind the starter next year. I would rather that other QB be someone with potential to develop than another guy like Mullens or Dobbs.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

I have put down almost all hope for Dobbs and Mullens being worthwhile backup QBs.  If the team can't find a better backup than them, I would rather see a young question mark given an opportunity.

I haven't put down all hope in Hall, but the team needs to have another QB behind the starter next year. I would rather that other QB be someone with potential to develop than another guy like Mullens or Dobbs.

I agree with this, but I'm thinking the team goes with Mullens, seeing that he's more efficient in moving the ball.

I'm not defending him. I just think the team will go with him for Week 18.

17 hours ago, Sir Fobos said:

Frankly, the OL needs to block a hell of a lot better. Mullens doesn't look so bad when he has time to throw.

The OL was awful on Sunday. 

And I'd disagree with @marshpit23, Mullens doesn't have a noodle for an arm.  It's not Favre's arm, but it's decent, as long as the pass isn't over 20 yds, as it then begins to flutter.  If he can stick to the short and intermediate routes, he'd be fine as a backup option.  He's willing to take chances, which can be maddening, but also can be productive.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, swede700 said:

The OL was awful on Sunday. 

And I'd disagree with @marshpit23, Mullens doesn't have a noodle for an arm.  It's not Favre's arm, but it's decent, as long as the pass isn't over 20 yds, as it then begins to flutter.  If he can stick to the short and intermediate routes, he'd be fine as a backup option.  He's willing to take chances, which can be maddening, but also can be productive.   

My problem with Mull3ns is that he doesn't play within his limitations. He thinks his arm is better than it really is. He takes more chances than he should. Of every QB on the roster, Mullens needs the most conservative game plan to win.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Captain Relax said:

My problem with Mull3ns is that he doesn't play within his limitations. He thinks his arm is better than it really is. He takes more chances than he should. Of every QB on the roster, Mullens needs the most conservative game plan to win.

I don't think he needs the "most" conservative game-plan...but he needs to learn to rein it in.  If anyone needs a more conservative gameplan, it's Dobbs because he doesn't have the arm that either Mullens or Hall have.  Hall needs to shorten his release a little, but that may come with work. 

32 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I don't think he needs the "most" conservative game-plan...but he needs to learn to rein it in.  If anyone needs a more conservative gameplan, it's Dobbs because he doesn't have the arm that either Mullens or Hall have.  Hall needs to shorten his release a little, but that may come with work. 

Remember that movie "Rookie of the Year" about the 12 year old that had arm surgery and it allowed him to throw a baseball 100 mph? I'm willing to break Dobbs' arm, if he wants to give it a go. 

With a new GM in Washington and a pretty good chance that they go QB with the number 2 pick in the draft I wonder what the price tag on Sam Howell could be...

If we could pick Howell up for a mid round pick he'd be a really solid backup and potential developmental QB.

It wouldn't be my preferred move but I wouldn't be mad going into the next season with Cousins QB1, Howell QB2 and Hall QB3

3 minutes ago, viking said:

With a new GM in Washington and a pretty good chance that they go QB with the number 2 pick in the draft I wonder what the price tag on Sam Howell could be...

If we could pick Howell up for a mid round pick he'd be a really solid backup and potential developmental QB.

It wouldn't be my preferred move but I wouldn't be mad going into the next season with Cousins QB1, Howell QB2 and Hall QB3

As a passer, Howell makes the same head scratching decisions that Mullens does.  He is a better athlete and has a more powerful arm, but I want a guy who makes better decisions and plays within his limitations. I am not sure Howell would be worth the effort. 

1 hour ago, Captain Relax said:

As a passer, Howell makes the same head scratching decisions that Mullens does.  He is a better athlete and has a more powerful arm, but I want a guy who makes better decisions and plays within his limitations. I am not sure Howell would be worth the effort. 

He's young though and with experience, may learn to reign it in.

Kwesi and O’Connell scouted, and passed on Howell in the 2022 draft. I don’t think Howell has done anything to make them rethink their decision enough to send a draft pick for a guy who’s already halfway through his rookie deal. 

Edited by SemperFeist
  • Like 4