2024 OL Talk

nicfre2011

8 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

And some of the best people to call "friends". If you rate, you are basically part of the family. 

I live in the south, so there aren't a lot of Polynesian here.  Seems like the west coast has a lot more.  I think, in my entire life, I can think of one Polynesian dude I know.  Tonga is on my bucket list of countries to visit though, too bad plane tickets are crazy expensive.

12 hours ago, nicfre2011 said:

I am curious to get your take on how Evan Neal compares to JC Latham (as draft prospects)? Are there any warning signs with how Neal has seemingly failed to develop that could be applied to Neal from a size, movement, technique perspective? Are there any lessons learned with Neal that a team could apply to Latham on what should be a focus of his training or what he is/isn't asked to do based on what the Alabama system had him do? Obviously they are two different players at two different points in time, just curious as to why Neal has struggled to take the next step and if that can be used to help put Latham in the best position to succeeed?

I don't really know that there's much to compare there.  They're not very similar to me.  The biggest thing that stood out with Neal, is that nothing really stood out.  Latham...he's got more than a few warts to his game, but he has standout size/strength/power.  It's a dynamic trait.  And coming out of Alabama's system, i don't think necessarily means a lot specifically to his projection.  Though the number of underwhelming guys to come out of that Bama OLine factory recently is a bit concerning in the abstract sense. 

To me...he's on a Jawaan Taylor type track...though i don't think he's quite as raw coming out.  I think that's the example to look to as a roadmap for "success"...relatively speaking.  Just have to hope he can learn to use those sort of techniques to mitigate some of his lacking quickness...without false starting every third snap.  😆

9 hours ago, TVScout said:

That...definitely does not look like a 352lbs man.  That's a wild build for someone that heavy.  Dude must have extremely dense bones or something.  lol.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Daniel said:

Polynesians are built different.

I played some fun football in Hawaii with a buddy who knew a group of guys and OMFG!!! Big guys that were so fast and light on their feet when running...Like playing against a bunch of Larry Allen's in college

Amarius Mims man… I don’t think he will stay healthy unfortunately as his history has shown he doesn’t. But he has such an athletic/size combo that I am not sure I have seen much of a comparison in the league. His build for 340 is just so lean and muscular. I love the ability and projection and think he is worth a late first as even in the little he played he was top notch. He is just so risky and I don’t trust he ends up reaching his potential due to health. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Scoundrel said:

Amarius Mims man… I don’t think he will stay healthy unfortunately as his history has shown he doesn’t. But he has such an athletic/size combo that I am not sure I have seen much of a comparison in the league. His build for 340 is just so lean and muscular. I love the ability and projection and think he is worth a late first as even in the little he played he was top notch. He is just so risky and I don’t trust he ends up reaching his potential due to health. 

He reminds me a lot of Becton. So much potential but ultimately injuries ruined his career. I hope differently for Mims but his college career suggests to me a similar career arc. 

• Like 1

Is Tyler Guyton really a higher rated prospect than Patrick Paul? It seems Guyton is a default 1st round tackle prospect while Paul appears to be consistently considered a mid to late 2nd round prospect.

3 minutes ago, nicfre2011 said:

Is Tyler Guyton really a higher rated prospect than Patrick Paul? It seems Guyton is a default 1st round tackle prospect while Paul appears to be consistently considered a mid to late 2nd round prospect.

I have pretty much every tackle over Paul, but I agree with the larger point. I don’t get why Guyton is so highly regarded, as a project, in a class full of guys who are ready to start day 1 and have just as much upside.

Like, how is he ahead of Amarius Mims at all? Why is he any higher than Suimataia, if they’re both just upside projections?

1 minute ago, Daniel said:

I have pretty much every tackle over Paul, but I agree with the larger point. I don’t get why Guyton is so highly regarded, as a project, in a class full of guys who are ready to start day 1 and have just as much upside.

Like, how is he ahead of Amarius Mims at all? Why is he any higher than Suimataia, if they’re both just upside projections?

The thing that I don't get is it isn't even a case of Guyton being a physical specimen or exceptional athlete. Combine that with what seems to consistently be the "raw" tag and he seems like a risky pick for round 1.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Regarding your comment about Paul, is that as a 1st round tackle prospect (which I don't think he is) or are you really that low on Paul?

52 minutes ago, nicfre2011 said:

Regarding your comment about Paul, is that as a 1st round tackle prospect (which I don't think he is) or are you really that low on Paul?

I am really that low on Paul.

45 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I mean, all three are really "upside projects".  But with Mims...the reason he's still relatively raw with limited tape, is that he can't ever seem to stay on the field.  So that adds a whole extra layer of concern.  You're never going to make much progress on that project if you can't establish any real continuity - as well as the obvious, where availability is sometimes the best ability.  I'm also not even really sold on just how much of a pure "athlete" he is.  Versus just..."bigness" and strength.

Kingsley has a lot of the traits but his actual demeanor is an issue in addition to the technique being absolutely all over the place.

Guyton is highly touted because he's got that combination of "big upside" and the reason he's more "raw" is a little more plausible, given his late switch to a different position on the opposite side of the ball.  At a program that hasn't really been known for instilling an elite level of technical "polish" and "refinement" in the first place.

I certainly get the impression though, that Mims and Guyton are very much in the same general ballpark of projected "value" or "draft range".  I could see either one of them going first...just depends on the team and how they view Mims health/durability projection and what they think their OLine coach can get more out of.

41 minutes ago, nicfre2011 said:

The thing that I don't get is it isn't even a case of Guyton being a physical specimen or exceptional athlete. Combine that with what seems to consistently be the "raw" tag and he seems like a risky pick for round 1.

I mean...this is the thing i guess you're missing.  I don't really know about the "testing" per se as the results came out a little funky in some cases...but Guyton is absolutely a rare physical specimen.  He's got bigtime "dancing bear" potential.  He's huge.  His technique is a mess - he doesn't know what to do with his hands and his footwork is disorganized.  He's very clearly just "playing on instinct".  But he's got the sort of light, quick feet and easy, natural movement skills that you simply cannot teach.  He moves like a much smaller human.  For better or worse, teams will always think they can work with that.

Whereas Patrick Paul is...very clunky and not very physically strong, despite his massive size.  He has pretty sluggish feet that he far too often breaks technique and starts hopping and skipping to try to compensate for.  He's not as raw as Guyton, but when you see some better technique and then you see panic abandoning that technique, that's not a good sign.  That's not like Guyton who just doesn't look like he's really ever focused on what he should be doing.  It's knowing what he should be doing, and abandoning it because he knows he can't get to where he needs to quickly enough that way.  There's also that awkward lack of body control and balance that seems to lead to...not a lot of real overpowering functional strength like you'd expect from such a big guy.

He's got the potential to be a real mauler...but if the mentality isn't there, it won't happen.  And more importantly, if some of those body composition and athleticism things don't let him play with more balance and commanding leverage...it's also not going to happen.