2024 OL Talk

nicfre2011

4 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

Not sure how he is graded that high without doing the vertical or the bench press.  Also all testing was done via pro day correct so that is just straight up deceptive because pro day numbers are usually not accurate.  

Spencer Brown back on that COVID pro day at 6-8 1/2" 311 pounds did the bench and the vertical and had a 3 cone of 6.96 and short shuttle of 4.34 both better than Barton but again it was a pro day, but Brown had to do that because they had no combine because of COVID.

Odd thing is Brown's teammate Elerson Smith had a 41.5" vertical, and a 4.69 40 time and 26 reps at 225 which is all great.  But that guy has done nothing in the NFL really so clearly some of those numbers were not accurate at all.  At least Brown starts but even he is a disappointment and clearly was not as athletic as those numbers say based on his play.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Not sure how he is graded that high without doing the vertical or the bench press.  Also all testing was done via pro day correct so that is just straight up deceptive because pro day numbers are usually not accurate.  

Spencer Brown back on that COVID pro day at 6-8 1/2" 311 pounds did the bench and the vertical and had a 3 cone of 6.96 and short shuttle of 4.34 both better than Barton but again it was a pro day, but Brown had to do that because they had no combine because of COVID.

Odd thing is Brown's teammate Elerson Smith had a 41.5" vertical, and a 4.69 40 time and 26 reps at 225 which is all great.  But that guy has done nothing in the NFL really so clearly some of those numbers were not accurate at all.  At least Brown starts but even he is a disappointment and clearly was not as athletic as those numbers say based on his play.  

I mean...inflated a little bit or not, i don't see any reason on tape to doubt that Barton would post those sort of numbers that are "elite" relative to other Guards.

Which also really makes the weird Spencer Brown small school Covid year testing results as a Tackle even more irrelevant here.

The biggest takeaway here should be, not the RAS number per se.  But seeing that the Agility scores come out extremely strong.  Which just ticks that box and confirms what i see on tape.  Done and dusted.  Beyond that, i don't care who wins the underwear olympics.

10 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

I mean...inflated a little bit or not, i don't see any reason on tape to doubt that Barton would post those sort of numbers that are "elite" relative to other Guards.

Which also really makes the weird Spencer Brown small school Covid year testing results as a Tackle even more irrelevant here.

The biggest takeaway here should be, not the RAS number per se.  But seeing that the Agility scores come out extremely strong.  Which just ticks that box and confirms what i see on tape.  Done and dusted.  Beyond that, i don't care who wins the underwear olympics.

Of course Barton is going to test well, he was what a LT most of his career at Duke, was a center when a dude got hurt for a bit....  So no kidding he will out perform OGs who in a lot of cases were OGs their entire career.  

8 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Of course Barton is going to test well, he was what a LT most of his career at Duke, was a center when a dude got hurt for a bit....  So no kidding he will out perform OGs who in a lot of cases were OGs their entire career.  

And...?

You're drafting Barton as either a Guard or Center.  I'd be absolutely flabbergasted if anyone were looking at him as anything more than an emergency Tackle.

So it's comparing his athletic results and testing vs his intended position group.  And he comes out sparkling.  Which is...not surprising, but it's a good thing.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Ozzy said:

40 times may not be accurate, but agility stuff is.

20 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Me neither. Or Fautanu. I mean he’s played 98% of snaps at LT and, upon closer inspection, his arm length is fine even though he’s “only” 6’4”. 

but yeah Fuaga is about as tackle as it gets, for me

I was on the Fautanu as a guard train for a while.  On tape, especially in a few games, he has trouble with lengthy pass rushers.  I thought, pre combine, it was for him being short and short armed, but then he had his combine, which went against everything I assumed at first.  Rewatching, I think his struggle with lengthy pass rushers was more about technique, specifically I think, since he had those long arms, he overreached, and tried to just lock up with his arms in those instances, and wasn't generating power with his lower body.  That made guys who used their length able to overpower him, and get through him to the QB.

Without the context, and on first watch, I just went to, oh, short tackle struggles with lengthy guys.  Gotta be a guard.

With it, those issues are definitely issues, but very fixable at the next level.

However, I kept him ranked with guards because he's got the perfect build and profile for a guard, and if I'm a team who needs a guard, Fautanu could legitimately come in as a blue chip guard prospect, because even that struggle is minimized at guard.  I think there's a good chance he could play guard way better than he could ever play tackle, and if you look at him as a guard, perhaps the last guard that I think was as good a prospect as him was maybe Quenton Nelson.

But I don't think there are any teams in that position that would take him this year before a team that wants him as a tackle takes him, so it's probably moot.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Daniel said:

I was on the Fautanu as a guard train for a while.  On tape, especially in a few games, he has trouble with lengthy pass rushers.  I thought, pre combine, it was for him being short and short armed, but then he had his combine, which went against everything I assumed at first.  Rewatching, I think his struggle with lengthy pass rushers was more about technique, specifically I think, since he had those long arms, he overreached, and tried to just lock up with his arms in those instances, and wasn't generating power with his lower body.  That made guys who used their length able to overpower him, and get through him to the QB.

Without the context, and on first watch, I just went to, oh, short tackle struggles with lengthy guys.  Gotta be a guard.

With it, those issues are definitely issues, but very fixable at the next level.

However, I kept him ranked with guards because he's got the perfect build and profile for a guard, and if I'm a team who needs a guard, Fautanu could legitimately come in as a blue chip guard prospect, because even that struggle is minimized at guard.  I think there's a good chance he could play guard way better than he could ever play tackle, and if you look at him as a guard, perhaps the last guard that I think was as good a prospect as him was maybe Quenton Nelson.

But I don't think there are any teams in that position that would take him this year before a team that wants him as a tackle takes him, so it's probably moot.

I agree with that. That’s why I’m mocking him to Seattle. T and LG seems to be a need, plus the Washington connection with Grubb  

3 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

I agree with that. That’s why I’m mocking him to Seattle. T and LG seems to be a need, plus the Washington connection with Grubb  

Oh yeah, Fautanu to Seattle is one of those too good to be true fits.  

• Like 1

On 4/3/2024 at 9:06 AM, Daniel said:

I agree Fautanu could be an amazing guard in the NFL and really he is the best guard in this class assuming he is properly put there.  He could transition to be a solid RT, LT if need but but yes at times he struggled a bit at LT.  If the Jets do not go OL that would be a surprise, sure they address OG and both OT spots but all of those guys outside of Simpson get hurt pretty consistently so if the Jets do not take Fautanu or Fuaga I would be surprised because they should.

Troy Fautanu, Taliese Fuaga, Olumuyiwa Fashanu and  JC Latham are all very quality and top of the line OL, many teams could be passing on them to get a QB but these three guys could all be studs in the NFL.  Fuaga I think could play OG if asked as well but is more of a RT mauler.  Fashanu could play LT or RT and stick at either one.  Latham is another one like Fautanu who might be better at OG and Latham did struggle on the edge but interior I think he could totally destroy guys, but could also be a good RT and the dude is a tree trunk out there.  

NFL.com has JC Latham as the top rated offensive lineman by a large margin over Joe Alt. Olumuyiwa Fashanu is the 7th ranked offensive lineman. Very intetesting to say the least. Not a huge fan of Latham.

JC Latham
(2024)
OT • Alabama
Grade

Joe Alt
(2024)
OT • Notre Dame
Grade

Taliese Fuaga
(2024)
OT • Oregon State
Grade

Troy Fautanu
(2024)
OT • Washington
Grade

Graham Barton
(2024)
C • Duke
Grade

Amarius Mims
(2024)
OT • Georgia
Grade

Olumuyiwa Fashanu
(2024)
OT • Penn State

3 OT J.C. Latham Alabama
4 OT Taliese Fuaga Oregon State
5 OT Tyler Guyton Oklahoma
6 OT Amarius Mims Georgia
7 G-T Troy Fautanu Washington
8 OT Jordan Morgan Arizona
9 OT Kingsley Suamataia BYU
10 OT Patrick Paul Houston
11 G-T Graham Barton Duke

Yeah, I saw Latham being that high during the combine, which was bizarre. Still is.

But there are rumors that the Titans like Latham a lot too. Could be NFL knows more than we do. Or could be bad teams trying to be big brains and taking a tackle that’s too slow a mover.

On 4/5/2024 at 10:46 PM, Daniel said:

Yeah, I saw Latham being that high during the combine, which was bizarre. Still is.

But there are rumors that the Titans like Latham a lot too. Could be NFL knows more than we do. Or could be bad teams trying to be big brains and taking a tackle that’s too slow a mover.

Latham will be a very good RT.  I would love if he fell to the Steelers.  Better build than Fautanu for OT.

On 4/5/2024 at 6:05 PM, nicfre2011 said:

NFL.com has JC Latham as the top rated offensive lineman by a large margin over Joe Alt. Olumuyiwa Fashanu is the 7th ranked offensive lineman. Very intetesting to say the least. Not a huge fan of Latham.

JC Latham
(2024)
OT • Alabama
Grade

Joe Alt
(2024)
OT • Notre Dame
Grade

Taliese Fuaga
(2024)
OT • Oregon State
Grade

Troy Fautanu
(2024)
OT • Washington
Grade

Graham Barton
(2024)
C • Duke
Grade

Amarius Mims
(2024)
OT • Georgia
Grade

Olumuyiwa Fashanu
(2024)
OT • Penn State

Tbf, these are Lance Zierline's rankings, not NFL media's collective rankings.