2024 Edge Talk

Scoundrel

I've been holding off for more reflection, but i feel like my EDGE rankings are just wildly off the accepted norm.  

This group seems kinda very bad.

Dallas Turner is probably an alright player.  Good enough.  I don't see anything special there.

Jared Verse is a finesse speed and change of direction guy who isn't even elite at that.

After that...I like Darius Robinson a lot more than most.  He's wildly raw and he's not even a true "edge" guy in that he can kick inside too.  But he's got big upside with his raw violence and suddenness and power combo.  If he gets some coaching to play a little bit more under control, he'll be a stud.

Chop is a weird project and he weirdly crabwalks everywhere.  idk what you to with that.  Latu feels like a guy who is pushing way too close to his ceiling as a technician who wins that way, rather than on athletic traits paired with that.  I think he'll be a decent OLB for someone, but there's nothing special there.  

A few later round guys that are intriguing but very flawed.  It just feels like such a bad EDGE class overall.

• Like 1

On 3/27/2024 at 3:40 AM, Tugboat said:

I've been holding off for more reflection, but i feel like my EDGE rankings are just wildly off the accepted norm.  

This group seems kinda very bad.

It's not bad, it just lacks the stud at the top of the class.  The last several classes, we've had EDGEs that were pretty much locks for the top 5: Will Anderson last year, Travon Walker and Aidan Hutchinson in 2022, Chase Young in 2020, Nick Bosa in 2019, etc.  The only class that lacked that stud EDGE prospect was 2021 when the first EDGE off the board didn't go off the board until Zaven Collins went off the board at 16, and he played LBer in college.  Unless you evaluated Micah Parsons as an EDGE, which I thought he was a LB who was a pass rusher on obvious passing situations.

On 3/27/2024 at 4:40 AM, Tugboat said:

Dallas Turner is probably an alright player.  Good enough.  I don't see anything special there.

Jared Verse is a finesse speed and change of direction guy who isn't even elite at that.

I haven't watched this edge class very much because my team does not need an edge, but my impression of Verse is that he's a speed to power rusher ala Bradley Chubb and Kwity Paye.

I agree with you on Dallas Turner. I think he will be a Tyus Bowser-type player.

15 hours ago, Rich7sena said:

I haven't watched this edge class very much because my team does not need an edge, but my impression of Verse is that he's a speed to power rusher ala Bradley Chubb and Kwity Paye.

I agree with you on Dallas Turner. I think he will be a Tyus Bowser-type player.

I don't know if i would go quite as low as Tyus Bowser i think Turner is a good bit better than that coming out as a project.   But i do agree that he isn't my top edge guy in this draft.   I would gladly take Latu 1st then Verse 2nd over Turner at this point from what i have seen on tape from all 3of them.   Latu is my #1 at this point and if it wasn't for his medical history i think he would be a lock #1 edge rusher and not even a debate.

12 hours ago, FalconFan13 said:

I don't know if i would go quite as low as Tyus Bowser i think Turner is a good bit better than that coming out as a project.   But i do agree that he isn't my top edge guy in this draft.   I would gladly take Latu 1st then Verse 2nd over Turner at this point from what i have seen on tape from all 3of them.   Latu is my #1 at this point and if it wasn't for his medical history i think he would be a lock #1 edge rusher and not even a debate.

My comps for players are prospect->pro not prospect->prospect.

On 3/27/2024 at 4:40 AM, Tugboat said:

I don’t agree with that at all. Verse is primarily a power rusher. I love Verse, like Latu, and hate the rest of the edge class. I like Trice, but idk about his translation into a pass-heavy league. I want to love Chop Robinson, but I absolutely am willing to say he’s an upside pick, not a “hey this dude is good” pick. He teeters the fence of boom/bust for me.

Verse has jarring power despite having average size. He has every tool in his bag aside from true freak athleticism. Very developed edge rusher, which he developed over this past season. He was gonna be very raw coming in last year, but ironed those kinks out in college & is ready to be a day 1 impact rusher.

I do agree with your sentiment about the class as a whole. 

On 3/28/2024 at 9:24 AM, CWood21 said:

It's not bad, it just lacks the stud at the top of the class.

Mmmm not rly. Who in rounds 2-7 intrigues you? Genuinely asking, bc I think this is a middle of the 1st round DE group and then it falls off a cliff into a bottomless pit. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BetterCallSaul said:

I don’t agree with that at all. Verse is primarily a power rusher. I love Verse, like Latu, and hate the rest of the edge class. I like Trice, but idk about his translation into a pass-heavy league. I want to love Chop Robinson, but I absolutely am willing to say he’s an upside pick, not a “hey this dude is good” pick. He teeters the fence of boom/bust for me.

Verse has jarring power despite having average size. He has every tool in his bag aside from true freak athleticism. Very developed edge rusher, which he developed over this past season. He was gonna be very raw coming in last year, but ironed those kinks out in college & is ready to be a day 1 impact rusher.

I do agree with your sentiment about the class as a whole. 

Yeah that is a wild take on Verse… I agree with your opinion of him here

5 hours ago, BetterCallSaul said:

Mmmm not rly. Who in rounds 2-7 intrigues you? Genuinely asking, bc I think this is a middle of the 1st round DE group and then it falls off a cliff into a bottomless pit. 

Yeah, it’s not a great class. There’s a below average number of first rounders, and average number of seconds, and then a big gap before you pepper in some Day 3 guys with upside.

Add a blue chip Edge and a few more guys at the Chris Braswell late Day 2 level and I think you have an average class.

• Like 1

Im sorta intrigued why Turner is such a sure fire lock at 8 on most pro analysts mocks and boards.  But Chop is late 1st to early 2nd when they are almost the same player coming out at their level of athleticism and raw technique.   I get that Turner has longer arms and a bit more production so he should be a bit higher but with both of them you are 100% taking a chance on upside.  Because neither of them are even close to Latu or Verse coming out on technique and ability as they sit right now. 

If i were the Falcons i would honestly take Latu 1st Verse 2nd depending on who went before us if either do.   Then trade backup into the late 1st for Chop instead of taking Turner at 8.   I think that gives you way more upside on talent on both types of players and imo reaching on Turner at 8.   I literally think both Turner and Chop are Vic Beasley clones coming out and at 8 im a easy pass on that one.

14 minutes ago, FalconFan13 said:

Im sorta intrigued why Turner is such a sure fire lock at 8 on most pro analysts mocks and boards.  But Chop is late 1st to early 2nd when they are almost the same player coming out at their level of athleticism and raw technique.   I get that Turner has longer arms and a bit more production so he should be a bit higher but with both of them you are 100% taking a chance on upside.  Because neither of them are even close to Latu or Verse coming out on technique and ability as they sit right now. 

If i were the Falcons i would honestly take Latu 1st Verse 2nd depending on who went before us if either do.   Then trade backup into the late 1st for Chop instead of taking Turner at 8.   I think that gives you way more upside on talent on both types of players and imo reaching on Turner at 8.   I literally think both Turner and Chop are Vic Beasley clones coming out and at 8 im a easy pass on that one.

Probably because Verse is a run-first edge defender and Latu has a horrific injury history. Turner has genuine top tier pass-rush upside, and rare athletic traits. I still don’t think where he is currently amounts to a top ten pick in this draft, but I get why he’s mocked over the other two. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, goldfishwars said:

Probably because Verse is a run-first edge defender and Latu has a horrific injury history. Turner has genuine top tier pass-rush upside, and rare athletic traits. I still don’t think where he is currently amounts to a top ten pick in this draft, but I get why he’s mocked over the other two. 

I'll put it this way for Latu if a teams medical doctors fully clear him then he should 100% be at the top of their edge rushing board.  He is literally the total package coming out outside of the medical issues.  Verse where as i don't agree he is a run 1st guy i think he is more of a pure hybrid guy that can do both things to a above avg pace.  I do think Latu and Turner has more upside pass rushing than Verse but i think with Verse's run defense added in that he edges out Turner because of how raw he is.  Where as i think Latu edges verse out because he offers more pass rushing ability than verse + can still drop in coverage and run defense as well just not as good run defense as verse but still good enough. 

I do agree with you that i wouldn't take turner top 10 with the talent level in this draft but can't say i agree why he is mocked over the other 2 with as raw as he is.  Now with that said Vic Beasley and Travon Walker went higher because of those upside traits so it's probably going to happen again.  But i personally think it's dumb to do that over more skilled players coming out.  To me guys like Bosa, Watt, Garrett, Hutchinson    technique and skill guys almost always translate and prove to be better players in the long run than the upside guys. 

• Like 1