Former 49ers, Bears K Robbie Gould announces retirement

TheKillerNacho

Never missed a kick in the playoffs. 

Also, he had the attitude of like a defensive lineman. He didn't take for players trying to mess with his pregame routine or anything. He didn't back down from players like Jalen Ramsey and it was always funny. 

• Like 8

2 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Surprised SF doesnt want him now

Moody has been fine for the most part. 85% on his kicks is better than gould has been 3 of the last 4 years and he has a much stronger leg. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Forge said:

Moody has been fine for the most part. 85% on his kicks is better than gould has been 3 of the last 4 years and he has a much stronger leg. 

Agreed. Moody has been lights out, particularly after he missed that game winning kick against CLE. I do not think he has missed a kick since then (he missed 2 that day).  

But mainly this was about money. Moody cost draft capital but his salary is a lot cheaper. Gould never moved to the Bay Area, he literally lived in a hotel 100 yards from the stadium. Gould didn't want to move his family. 

I hope Lynch told him to stay in shape. He is the first kicker I am calling if there is an injury to Moody (who started off the year with a quad injury fwiw)

Feels like there was a very long time where he was just a rock solid no fuss kicker.  I don't ever recall thinking him as particularly spectacular, or standout as a kicker.  But tbh, i think pretty much every team, coach, fan, would just take rock solid "money in the bank" reliability over more volatile ups and downs.  There's a real skill and value to that kind of consistency, especially with that longevity.  Where you can just have that squared away and not worry about it.

1 hour ago, Tugboat said:

Feels like there was a very long time where he was just a rock solid no fuss kicker.  I don't ever recall thinking him as particularly spectacular, or standout as a kicker.  But tbh, i think pretty much every team, coach, fan, would just take rock solid "money in the bank" reliability over more volatile ups and downs.  There's a real skill and value to that kind of consistency, especially with that longevity.  Where you can just have that squared away and not worry about it.

A consistent kicker who you trust is way more valuable than a guy who can hit from 60 but you cannot ever rely on it.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

A consistent kicker who you trust is way more valuable than a guy who can hit from 60 but you cannot ever rely on it.

Yeah.  It's an absolute weapon when it's like Tucker who does both.  But especially as teams get more aggressive on 4th downs, you really just want a kicker that you never have to think about...from "normal" ranges.  Just send 'em out and take your 3pts.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tugboat said:

Exactly.  When the bears would come out for a field goal it was essentially an extension of the commercial break.  You’d use that time to get a drink, use the bathroom, etc.  because you knew he was going to make it, you didn’t need to watch it.

• Like 2

Guy is top 10 all time in FG%, definitely was a stud. After a few of the guys ahead of him have an off year he may pop up to 5th or so. It's hard to be really good at something like that, but to be THAT good for THAT long is a rarity.