Ohtani signs with dodgers (10 / 700 million)

Forge

3 hours ago, DirtyDez said:

Is Pete Rose in the HOF if he comes clean right away instead of lying about it until he needed to sell a book?

Doesn't stop people from making him out to be some victim of the evil, sanctimonious sports media.

On 3/21/2024 at 6:03 PM, BullsandBroncos said:

Was the whole Michael Jordan have a gambling problem thing as big as this?

In terms of news story, and the direct relation, no, not at all. The retirement was, but the connection to gambling wasn't.  They were able to contain and control the narrative a lot easier then.  I'm not quite old enough to remember Pete Rose, when it happened, but I can remember not long after, so I don't know how Ohtani compares to that, but with Jordan I remember pretty well.  The shock of the retirement overshadowed everything else.  That's what was in the headlines.  The gambling narrative was on the fringes, and the general sports fans didn't have a way to get it out there the same way.  News outlets weren't really targeting that portion of the story like they can't avoid now, so it was treated as more of a conspiracy.  

Edited by OkeyDoke21

9 hours ago, Danger said:

I don't really care, just need to see consistency between Ohtani and Pete Rose, however this is concluded.

What do you think consistency is? The problem with Rose is he bet on baseball, and even on his own team. If all he did was gamble on other sports (illegally) then it would have been a fine, maybe a minor suspension. There is nothing right now to suggest any bets were placed on baseball, let alone that Shohei did it.

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, naptownskinsfan said:

Over $16 million transferred out of Ohtani’s accounts.  Feds reviewed 7 years of text messages and found no evidence that they discussed betting or covering that money in those texts.  

I'd love to be a conspiracy theorist about this but the feds brought evidence:

https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/24542204-usa-v-mizuhara-complaint

Sad read.

Edited by ramssuperbowl99

1 hour ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Sad read.

It’s similar to the Jaguars employee with the virtual credit card, but it has a human factor in it that he defrauded a person who he pretended to be a friend to for over a decade.  

This should be a sign to people that they need to double-check their finances, personal and business.  You never know what could be going on. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, bigbadbuff said:

Absolute BS. How tf do you not notice 16mil missing

It wouldn't shock me if Ohtani never looked at a single bank statement. And in the rare times he does he probably isn't keeping close tabs on the what is coming in when between his baseball contract and many endorsement deals. so even if it is off by a million or 2 that easily can be within a range that seems right. Multiply that over several years and it isn't that hard.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mse326 said:

It wouldn't shock me if Ohtani never looked at a single bank statement. And in the rare times he does he probably isn't keeping close tabs on the what is coming in when between his baseball contract and many endorsement deals. so even if it is off by a million or 2 that easily can be within a range that seems right. Multiply that over several years and it isn't that hard.

Especially if you trust the guy.  And clearly, Ohtani did, to the point where he set everything up when he came over.  

Also, we look at this as millions, but comparatively speaking, that’s probably hundreds, maybe thousands, of dollars for us.  Most of us don’t follow our accounts that closely.  I can also tell you tons of work stories where stuff was missed and people tried to steal, or the office mis-categorized things on the P&L. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Sad read.

Dude was absolutely an addict who was basically handed an "unlimited cocaine fountain" and proceeded to do what that entails. Just sad. 

• Like 1