Are the Chiefs the bad guys? v4.0

notthatbluestuff

37 minutes ago, BetterCallSaul said:

I don't blame Mahomes for pleading to the refs. Tha'ts petty. I simply hate the Chiefs because they are good. And I used to hate them for having Frank Clark & Tyreek Hill--two dudes that should be felons.

Every team has dudes that whine and cry to the referees for flags. Multiple dudes. It's part of the game, to be honest.

Crying for flags and doing what Mahomes (and Reid) did last night are two completely different things. What the Chiefs asked for last night was preferential treatment, not fair officiating. It was officiated fairly. Blame Toney for being lined up wrong. The flag was thrown in the beginning of the play. Mahomes and Reid should honestly be ashamed of themselves for the nonsense they're pulling

• Like 6

37 minutes ago, notthatbluestuff said:

Tbh there's crying for flags and then there's what happened last night, it's another level. How many times have you seen the losing QB complaining to the winning QB about a call during a postgame hug?

Well hold on. Because there are a few situations that folks seem to be lumping together in an attempt to pile on. 

Complaining to the refs in-game: completely normal and done by almost everyone in the league.

Throwing a temper tantrum on the sideline: relatively normal and done by plenty of star QBs in the league, at some point in their careers.

Complaining about officiating in the post-game press conference: still pretty standard behavior tbh. Myles Garrett literally called the officiating a travesty yesterday. I still think this is absolutely standard.

-----------

Complaining to Allen during handshake: This is the one I'm not going to defend and I said before that Mahomes is weak af for doing. Allen aint the ref and complaining about any call discredits what the Bills did to win the game all because you are salty about errors that your own damn team made.

I would liken it to a losing coach pissed off and talking trash to the winning coach during the post game handshake for getting their butt kicked. And I've never thought a coach looked good doing that.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Soggust said:

Well hold on. Because there are a few situations that folks seem to be lumping together in an attempt to pile on. 

Complaining to the refs in-game: completely normal and done by almost everyone in the league.

Throwing a temper tantrum on the sideline: relatively normal and done by plenty of star QBs in the league, at some point in their careers.

Complaining about officiating in the post-game press conference: still pretty standard behavior tbh. Myles Garrett literally called the officiating a travesty yesterday. I still think this is absolutely standard.

-----------

Complaining to Allen during handshake: This is the one I'm not going to defend and I said before that Mahomes is weak af for doing. Allen aint the ref and complaining about any call discredits what the Bills did to win the game all because you are salty about errors that your own damn team made.

I would liken it to a losing coach pissed off and talking trash to the winning coach during the post game handshake for getting their butt kicked. And I've never thought a coach looked good doing that.

But I only mentioned the Allen interaction precisely because the other stuff isn't unusual.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, BetterCallSaul said:

I don't blame Mahomes for pleading to the refs. Tha'ts petty. I simply hate the Chiefs because they are good. And I used to hate them for having Frank Clark & Tyreek Hill--two dudes that should be felons.

Every team has dudes that whine and cry to the referees for flags. Multiple dudes. It's part of the game, to be honest.

Crying for a flag? He was verbally harassing the side judge & had to be held back by multiple teammates 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Soggust said:

Fair enough. Sorry, I'm grouping you in with everyone else I think lol.

Although I did name Reid for his "heel turn" too - I think the distinction there is that there's a difference between complaining about calls during the post-game interview (lots of coaches do this) and saying it's "embarrassing" that a, well, objectively and clearly correct call was made.

9 minutes ago, Soggust said:

This is what did it for me. Like, c'mon dude, be a professional. Josh doesn't want to hear you whine - just shake his hand, say "Good game" and go whine in the locker room with Toney in earshot.

• Like 2

Nope BUT I will say for a team that seemingly get the calls they cant start whining when they dont get the call. I get Mahomes was upset but take the L and move on. The one thing I can say about the Pats in the Belichick/Brady era you never saw them whine after a L. It was always "on to Cincinnati" type of mindset. If Mahomes want to be mad, be mad at Reid and the front office for not getting him some legit receivers. 

Chiefs fans can say "we won a Superbowl last season without Hill" but clearly the Chiefs miss him badly. The biggest fumble in recent NFL history. If the Chiefs had Hill they wouldnt be in this situation. 

4 minutes ago, notthatbluestuff said:

Although I did name Reid for his "heel turn" too - I think the distinction there is that there's a difference between complaining about calls during the post-game interview (lots of coaches do this) and saying it's "embarrassing" that a, well, objectively and clearly correct call was made.

It was also that he is asking for a warning. It is 1 minute to go in the 4th quarter and the ref literally cannot see the ball because Toney is blocking it. This isn't pee wee football.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, notthatbluestuff said:

I think his position (and the nuance that no one is acknowledging) is that for like 50+ years, they have offered a warning in that scenario. 

Now, I didn't want to even bring this up because I don't want to get stuck on a hill defending something I don't agree with. But while I don't agree, I do kind of understand.

Let me say - The ONLY person I blame is Toney. If you're a professional receiver, checking your alignment should be so automatic that I am at a loss for words. I don't care about 'egregious' or anything. You're not owed a warning. Period.

But I think the Reid/Mahomes perspective is that it truly is a matter of inches and they thought a rule that has always almost always been a warning shouldn't have determined the outcome. Again, I don't think this is right, but I also don't think it's the evil people are suggesting (Allen aside).

Imagine a guy running late to a job interview and he gets pulled over for going 5 MPH over the speed limit. He might be upset at the cop for deciding to pull him over and write him a ticket, but the fact is he was still speeding according to the letter of the law. 

If he was like "man I can't believe these cops gave me a ticket for 5 over", your response wouldn't be like "man, he's just mad because he's so arrogant he doesn't think the rules should apply fairly to him", you would say "yeah that guy is just salty because he got caught on a minor infraction at a bad time". edit- let me just clarify, I'm again not saying you said this, but rather referencing general reactions. i write in second person sometimes just arguing with myself in my head.

Do better next time homie, for sure, but I don't think it's that out of pocket.

Edited by Soggust
  • Like 1