Are the Chiefs the bad guys? v4.0

notthatbluestuff

1 hour ago, Soko said:

This isn’t even the most egregious example of offensive offsides. 

Just last year McLaurin checked his alignment with the line judge, got the OK, then got flagged anyway lol. Toney was offsides.

It makes no difference, but for what it's worth, there were a few tweets from CBS staff suggesting that Toney did check his alignment. Broadcast only showed about 6 seconds pre-snap, so we don't really know. But might be a very similar deal to the McLaurin one.

I don't blame Mahomes for being frustrated after last night but it's also funny to me the extent to which he's slowly losing his mind this year because he's experiencing for the first time what his peer NFL QB's have been dealing with for years. Oh, your WR's seem like they were hired at the local Foot Locker? 2019-2022 Lamar Jackson sends his regards. Oh, your defense made a bunch of back breaking mistakes on 3rd down/closeout situations? Josh Allen just let out a 13-second long laugh. Oh, your team lost in a manner involving a penalty and situation you didn't even know was possible and made your question the very existence of god? Welcome to Justin Herbert's life my man. 

Mahomes is basically just finding out what life is like for 31 other NFL franchises (and their fanbases). He and the Chiefs have been so good since he came into the league that they're just not used to having the stuff around the margins go against them, both in terms of referee decisions and individual mistakes on the team itself. And yeah, it sucks Pat! Welcome to the world as everyone else already knows it. 

• Like 1

I think the behaviour of Reid and Mahomes yesterday just gave the majority the OK for a pile on because they don't/didn't really do or say anything egregious up until yesterday.

The moaning has been weak, and should have been kept to the field and not spilled over into the press conferences, but it's just a QB temper tantrum that they all seem to have at one point or another in their careers. He'll likely regret it this morning and will be fined a lot also.

The refs got the call right so the moaning is moot, but this is the debate we have here in England currently about our EPL Refs, there really needs to be more accountability for when they do things incredibly wrong.

Edited by Magnifico

2 minutes ago, Chiefer said:

I could make a highlight reel of the Chiefs not getting the calls too, hell a ref was forcibly retired after how badly he officiated a Chiefs game. But I’m not obsessed like that guy Jesus Christ 

The guy who tweeted is a Broncos fan, that checks out. They’ve got nothing better to do over the last 10 years of being terrible but be obsessed over the Chiefs.

And I’m a guy who thinks Mahomes’ crying is pathetic. I’m not some homer Chiefs fan who’s here to defend Mahomes. “We didn’t get a warning” boo freakin hoo

I actually find the Chiefs a lot easier to root for now that they’re encountering some real adversity.

I couldn’t stand Tom Brady basically from the jump, but I assume this is how his more casual fans felt when — once every couple years, starting in about 2009 — everyone would start speculating about how Tom is done, the dynasty is over, etc. And it never was, and eventually even his haters had to feel some grudging admiration for the fact that you just couldn’t kill that man.

If the Chiefs had just immediately replaced Tyreek (and son of Zeus) with not even a hiccup, I think I would have found that a lot more hateable — I don’t care for overwhelmingly dominating empires, and they would have seemed Thanos-level inevitable if they had just absorbed the loss of a truly special player and kept pummeling everyone into perpetuity. At this point, their WR corps is so bad that it genuinely feels as though they’re actively working against the team, and that helps make the Mahomes/Kelce/Reid trio seem more human again.

I didn’t like Mahomes whining to Allen either. But there were some tantrums along the way for Tom, too, and for most of the ultimate competitors. It’ll be interesting to see if Mahomes can now take the anger and frustration and use them to transform into the killer, as Tom did. I’ll be rooting for him to do so.

• Like 1

Are we sure that the Broncos aren’t villains? I almost posted that in the other “villains” thread.

They’re owned by Walmart (mega-corporation bent on taking over the country one community at a time), their coach is Sean Payton (Bountygate, bit of a ******), and their QB is Russell Wilson (at best, corny and lame, at worst, likely one of the nation’s most prolific serial killers). They employ and continue to defend the most overtly dirty player in the league this year in Kareem Jackson.

And then you’ve got these tweet storms and screen caps of vaguely missed calls involving the Chiefs over the course of years. If you thought Mahomes was whiny and annoying for 10 minutes after a bad call in a game he was playing in, just wait till you get to know Mile High Mims and his one-man crusade against the Chiefs/refs. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

It makes no difference, but for what it's worth, there were a few tweets from CBS staff suggesting that Toney did check his alignment. Broadcast only showed about 6 seconds pre-snap, so we don't really know. But might be a very similar deal to the McLaurin one.

If it happened that way, then there’d be legit complaining to do. Like, the ref at the point the ball is being snapped, isn’t going to not call it offsides just because the WR checked with him first if he is indeed offsides…but still. Getting told by the officiating crew that you are good, then getting flagged for being misaligned? That’d be ridiculous. AFAIK there are no real consequences to officials besides not being brought in for the playoffs, but something like that should be cause for discipline, if it did happen that way. 

26 minutes ago, Chiefer said:

The guy who tweeted is a Broncos fan, that checks out. They’ve got nothing better to do over the last 10 years of being terrible but be obsessed over the Chiefs.

And I’m a guy who thinks Mahomes’ crying is pathetic. I’m not some homer Chiefs fan who’s here to defend Mahomes. “We didn’t get a warning” boo freakin hoo

Hey man we've won a SB and been to another one in the last ten years. Now if you had said the last 7 years......