QB Options 2024

Humble_Beast

If we got Fields for a 4th I'd do it and still draft a QB. If it takes a 3rd I'd still want to draft a QB but that wouldn't leave much ammo to make the team better. If Fields does good then tag him so you either get more picks from a team paying him well but don't back up the truck unless you get two seasons of great play. Hurts had his best season which was good enough to get an extension at 51 million per year and QB's just aren't worth that unless ELITE top 5 every year. Hence the drafting of a rookie. If Ewers and McCarthy both go back to school and Daniels isn't there at our pick I'd rather trade down and try to get 1sts in 2025. Nix and Penix are older than Fields so a 3rd and a change of scenery would be better but the trade needs to happen before the draft because if we have a chance to get a QB we don't want to look needy and get jumped. 

On 12/22/2023 at 12:48 PM, Humble_Beast said:

The obvious options at QB are the upcoming QB class

• C Wiliams 
  • D Maye
  • J Daniels 
  • JJ McCarthy 
  • M Penix 
  • B Nix

theres going be a few interesting vets in free agency 

• Kirk Cousins 
  • Jameis Winston 
  • Sam Darnold 
  • Marcus Mariota 
  • Gardner Minshew 
  • Jacoby Brissett 
  • Drew Lock
  • Tyler Huntley 

a few other trade targets 

• Justin Fields
  • Trey Lance 
  • Kyler Murray 
  • Malik Willis 

Who's your favorite and why? If we are picking outside the top 10 and the top 4 picks are gone I would prolly sign a vet for cheap and then trade for a Trey Lance. Let them compete for the starting spot.  Sign Jameis Winston and trade a mid rounder for Trey Lance 

Realistically we should sign Minshew for around 10M, spread the rest of the money around to improve the roster and add quality depth, then draft McCarthy. I am not a fan of trading for any of those QB's.  Murray and Feilds are not quality NFL passers, Willis or Lance hard pass... They suck. 

I would also trade Adams for picks as his talent is being wasted here and we need to get younger. Worst case I would demand a 2nd and 3rd but would try to go after an end of the round 1st.  

Let's say we get and end of the 1st pick for Adams.  I would love if could have a draft that looks something like this.

1st J. McCarthy QB

1st D. Burke CB

2nd L. Taylor 3T (I would also consider T. Franklin WR or J. Sawyer (Edge) with this pick if Taylor is gone)

3rd C. Beebe IOL

4th B. Allen RB

Edited by Frankie2Gunz

15 hours ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

Realistically we should sign Minshew for around 10M, spread the rest of the money around to improve the roster and add quality depth, then draft McCarthy. I am not a fan of trading for any of those QB's.  Murray and Feilds are not quality NFL passers, Willis or Lance hard pass... They suck. 

I would also trade Adams for picks as his talent is being wasted here and we need to get younger. Worst case I would demand a 2nd and 3rd but would try to go after an end of the round 1st.  

Let's say we get and end of the 1st pick for Adams.  I would love if could have a draft that looks something like this.

1st J. McCarthy QB

1st D. Burke CB

2nd L. Taylor 3T (I would also consider T. Franklin WR or J. Sawyer (Edge) with this pick if Taylor is gone)

3rd C. Beebe IOL

4th B. Allen RB

I actually like this plan. Though I disagree Murray, not being an NFL passer. That said, he's gonna cost a lot of money & draft picks if we pursued him which is why I probably wouldn't. 

52 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

I actually like this plan. Though I disagree Murray, not being an NFL passer. That said, he's gonna cost a lot of money & draft picks if we pursued him which is why I probably wouldn't. 

Agree, Murray isn't a bad passer like fields, he's just not an elite passer. But Murray can throw for 3500-4000 yards easily. He's actually good at throwing, just can't do elite things in the pocket. I'd be ok with Murray, just worry about his mentality. I don't think he has the mentality to last in this league long term beyond mediocre. 

I doubt fields will ever throw for over 3000 yards in his career. 

1 hour ago, Jeremy408 said:

I should have articulated my assessment of Murray with more detail.  When I say he is not a good passer I mean he has averaged slightly over 20 passing TD's over his career. he is small, allegedly doesn't study film which shows on game-day as he can't read a D, has a massive contract and will command draft capital to acquire him.  For all of those reasons I say pass

He is a decent fantasy QB but when it comes to playing the QB position at a high level he falls short (no pun intended). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

I should have articulated my assessment of Murray with more detail.  When I say he is not a good passer I mean he has averaged slightly over 20 passing TD's over his career. he is small, allegedly doesn't study film which shows on game-day as he can't read a D, has a massive contract and will command draft capital to acquire him.  For all of those reasons I say pass

He is a decent fantasy QB but when it comes to playing the QB position at a high level he falls short (no pun intended). 

Oh yeah, I see what you mean, but I think part of that was that he was running some stupid college offense for most of his career with a play caller that doesn't even live in America anymore. 

18 hours ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

1st J. McCarthy QB

1st D. Burke CB

3rd C. Beebe IOL

4th B. Allen RB

I would honestly sign Russ Wilson, Jameis, Darnold over Minshew 

4 hours ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

I agree. However I think he could easily get to 30 tds a year with the right players or system, etc. I don't think he's bad, I wouldn't mind him as our stopgap. We could make the playoffs with him. 

16 minutes ago, NickButera said:

I agree. However I think he could easily get to 30 tds a year with the right players or system, etc. I don't think he's bad, I wouldn't mind him as our stopgap. We could make the playoffs with him. 

****, if we had average QB play this year we could be in the playoffs, so yes we could make the playoffs with him but will never contend for a SB.  His contract is off putting and he would not be a good mentor to a young QB with alleged maturity issues, not a studious QB and has a limited understanding on how to read D's and play the QB position.  We need to improve depth, sign a cheap stopgap QB who runs a traditional O scheme and draft a rookie QBOTF.  I would prefer a stopgap who has a live arm, gunslinger mentality but limits turnovers and comes on the cheap.  

Edited by Frankie2Gunz
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Darbsk said:

Heck no! 

Adams is worth a second round pick still, Fields is not good and worth at most a 4th, they’ll probably ask a third but I wouldn't give more than a 5th on a long shot. 

Maybe we can sign Caleb Williams as an UDFA since him being undraftable is a valid take.