QB Options 2024

Humble_Beast

30 minutes ago, Totty said:

So, how happy or unhappy would this forum be if we opted to give our 2nd to the Bears for Justin Fields?  

Maybe go DT or CB with 11th overall?  

I would be incredibly unhappy, especially if that bum *** Champ Kelly is the GM that did it. Nothing like replicating the current disaster that is the Chicago Bears, right? 

Here's the thing, Fields has made some pop run plays. Cool, so did Dennis Dixon. So has Tyrod Taylor. So has Josh Dobbs. So has Tyler Huntley. So did Marcus Mariota once upon a time. Stick a speedy WR in the backfield that played QB in High School, you can get damn near the same as evidenced by Kendall Hinton in Denver a while back. 

Fields is not a good QUARTERBACK. He's on par with Mitch Trubisky as far as Chicago goes and nobody was going to pass off a 2nd for him. The only reason Fields isn't getting the Trubisky treatment is they're still looking at his college scouting report- something that couldn't be less relevant when compared to actual NFL game tape. 

I'd rather spend a 2nd reaching on Michael Pratt or Cam Ward than wasting it on someone else's bust that was always more of a "what if" than "when" as a  pro QB prospect. 

Edited by ronjon1990
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

I would be incredibly unhappy, especially if that bum *** Champ Kelly is the GM that did it. Nothing like replicating the current disaster that is the Chicago Bears, right? 

Here's the thing, Fields has made some pop run plays. Cool, so did Dennis Dixon. So has Tyrod Taylor. So has Josh Dobbs. So has Tyler Huntley. So did Marcus Mariota once upon a time. Stick a speedy WR in the backfield that played QB in High School, you can get damn near the same as evidenced by Kendall Hinton in Denver a while back. 

Fields is not a good QUARTERBACK. He's on par with Mitch Trubisky as far as Chicago goes and nobody was going to pass off a 2nd for him. The only reason Fields isn't getting the Trubisky treatment is they're still looking at his college scouting report- something that couldn't be less relevant when compared to actual NFL game tape. 

I'd rather spend a 2nd reaching on Michael Pratt or Cam Ward than wasting it on someone else's bust that was always more of a "what if" than "when" as a  pro QB prospect. 

I really do not think you have meaningfully observed Fields the past two seasons. He is one of the best QB runners in NFL history (i.e. his running is in the class of Lamar Jackson and Michael Vick). I do not know why you are undermining a QB's ability to gain yards and touchdowns on the ground. Rush yards and touchdowns count the same as pass yards and touchdowns. As a passer, Fields has come a long way, but he has not arrived as a reliable down-to-down passer. There's a chance that he never becomes a top passer, but his running ability mitigates that.

21 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

I don't think he's cooking. He's looked up and down.

Aside from the first play of the game where he threw the dangerous ball on the sideline, he's looked pretty good against Bama. Shown all the stuff I think he can develop further at the next level. Athleticism, ability to throw on the run, etc.

1 minute ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Aside from the first play of the game where he threw the dangerous ball on the sideline, he's looked pretty good against Bama. Shown all the stuff I think he can develop further at the next level. Athleticism, ability to throw on the run, etc.

He's been somewhat scattershot, and I have not seen any throws that have impressed me (i.e. accurate, downfield, with pace).

3 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

I really do not think you have meaningfully observed Fields the past two seasons. He is one of the best QB runners in NFL history (i.e. his running is in the class of Lamar Jackson and Michael Vick). I do not know why you are undermining a QB's ability to gain yards and touchdowns on the ground. Rush yards and touchdowns count the same as pass yards and touchdowns. As a passer, Fields has come a long way, but he has not arrived as a reliable down-to-down passer. There's a chance that he never becomes a top passer, but his running ability mitigates that.

And he's been how successful, exactly, as a runner but bad thrower? 

Lamar is carried by his defense and RBs more often than not, Vick was exciting but the Falcons weren't racking up wins, Kaepernick was a great runner on a great team and did jack. 

If I'm undermining a QBs ability to gain yards on the ground, you're severely overrating the success that brings with it, especially when they're a sub par passer. 

5 minutes ago, bucksavage1 said:

McCarthy gonna be a work in progress. He needs more passing reps but the offense he’s in limits it

He’s also pretty young. I think he needs another season as the starter. He’s a red shirt sophomore right?

1 minute ago, ronjon1990 said:

And he's been how successful, exactly, as a runner but bad thrower? 

Lamar is carried by his defense and RBs more often than not, Vick was exciting but the Falcons weren't racking up wins, Kaepernick was a great runner on a great team and did jack. 

If I'm undermining a QBs ability to gain yards on the ground, you're severely overrating the success that brings with it, especially when they're a sub par passer. 

Do you argue that Deshaun Watson's 2020 season was commensurate with the Texan's 4-12 record? How exactly did Kaepernick do jack when he played in a Super Bowl? Vick had one losing season as Atlanta's starter.

Let's make this simple: is Lamar Jackson a good QB? Josh Allen? Michael Vick at the height of his powers? If they are good, are they, in part, because of their running ability or despite it?

It seems to me that you do not think running is a legitimate QB trait.

Just now, Geezy said:

I feel like you gotta squint too much with JMC

Last year's TCU game is his best (and most revealing) game. He does have a strong arm and can run, but he's a stiff athlete with a weird release who doesn't see the field very well. That last thing is a reason why we see him throw so many shallow overs and digs. There's a reason Michigan doesn't let loose in the passing game like Harbaugh did with Luck. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

Do you argue that Deshaun Watson's 2020 season was commensurate with the Texan's 4-12 record? How exactly did Kaepernick do jack when he played in a Super Bowl? Vick had one losing season as Atlanta's starter.

Let's make this simple: is Lamar Jackson a good QB? Josh Allen? Michael Vick at the height of his powers? If they are good, are they, in part, because of their running ability or despite it?

It seems to me that you do not think running is a legitimate QB trait.

It's a secondary trait to actually being able to throw the ball and not be one-dimensional. 

Let's make this simple- Josh Allen and Lamar Jackson at least improved as passers once they got into the league and Vick was already a pretty good passer. 

Fields isn't a rookie and he's shown very little improvement as a passer in the league. He's going to be 25 by the start of the season and has an exceptionally long way to go to become a functional passer on a team needing just a functional passer- which we are not. 

Again, if we're giving up a 2nd for a major project, there's better options than Justin Fields in terms of age and as passers. 

• Like 1