Draft Discussion 2.0

FGK

59 minutes ago, brownie man said:

Can u tell me more about Penny? 

I saw the highlights of him and couldn’t really think of a comparison. I know nothing about Penny 

Player Comparison: Terrell Davis

Rashaad Penny is a lot bigger than Terrelle Davis in terms of bulk, but their run styles and college film similarities are uncanny.

Penny has elite of elite change of direction at top end speeds, finishes runs with nastiness, jump cut instincts to set up a series of broken tackles are top notch, subtle one leg cuts and foot patter pacing sets him up to weave in and out and around defenders in tight spaces, patience and vision to set up blocks and burst through the whole are all worthy of a top 20 selection.

16 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

Player Comparison: Terrell Davis

Rashaad Penny is a lot bigger than Terrelle Davis in terms of bulk, but their run styles and college film similarities are uncanny.

Penny has elite of elite change of direction at top end speeds, finishes runs with nastiness, jump cut instincts to set up a series of broken tackles are top notch, subtle one leg cuts and foot patter pacing sets him up to weave in and out and around defenders in tight spaces, patience and vision to set up blocks and burst through the whole are all worthy of a top 20 selection.

Basically he is your ideal ZBS RB

@Mind Character

Terrell Davis comparison for Penny? I don't see that AT ALL! Davis was a tough running interior bowling ball with great shiftiness. Penny is a linear athlete that has great size, but doesn't put it to good use. He's a finesse "big back." I think he's more comparable to Tevin Coleman--a guy that looks like a power back, but has the long speed and athleticism of a homerun back.

I don't like Penny. I want to see him run more violently and scratch for yards. He's going to be utterly useless unless he has a GOOD OL. Not just solid OL, he needs a good OL to give him some running starts. He's not a yard churner. I have him outside of the top 5 RB's in this draft and wouldn't draft him before round 4.

38 minutes ago, dawgdish said:

I hope Dorsey locks DePodesta out of the draft room so that the appalling prospect or trading back that far is never even entertained for one second.

I'd be fine with trading down this far if Barkley is gone. I don't know who we'd take at #4 that would be so much better than who's there in the teens. I am not that high on Fitzpatrick or Chubb and I don't know that we need either. Fitzpatrick is not a FS despite popular belief for some reason and we already have Ogbah and Garrett. I'm not spending a top 5 pick on a backup. I don't think Chubb is much better than Ogbah--if he's even better at all.

Trading down with Buffalo could get us something like this:

#1--Darnold QB

#21-Ridley WR

#22-Jackson CB

2nd-Brown OT

2nd-Alexander CB

2nd-Blanding FS

3rd-Walton RB

3rd-Berrios WR

3rd-(Traded for QB Alex Smith?)

If Barkley is there at #4 though, I'm taking him.

On 1/10/2018 at 10:45 AM, TheeRealDeal said:

I like him but I see purely a zone corner. I love his long arms and he uses them well when the ball is in the air. He is at his best when he can see the ball and react. In man coverage when he is asked to turn his back to the QB he really struggles. He also struggles badly with his feet in man coverage causing him to get beat right at the take off. Despite his long arms he does not get his hands on receivers very well for a jam in man coverage either.

If a team makes decides to make him a FS from the get go and not try to fix his flaws as a CB I believe he could actually flourish in that role. If teams want to try to keep him at CB because it is the premium position but he never gets better with his short comings then he could easily bust and by that time it could be too late for a flip to the FS role.

McFadden could be a FS convert. He's lanky and fast, but I don't like his lack of physicality. Gregg Williams seems to want a sure tackler back there at FS instead of a playmaker. McFadden would be the opposite of that. I think Quin Blanding is a guy we'll be looking at, as he is a sure tackler and actually played FS in college. He could be had in the 2nd round and fits the mold of a Gregg Williams type player. I love the idea of getting a FS, keeping Kindred at SS, and moving Peppers to the nickel.

If we draft Fitzpatrick, it won't be to play FS. He'll be playing the nickel for us and Peppers will remain at FS. I'd bet my house on that.

53 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

@Mind Character

Terrell Davis comparison for Penny? I don't see that AT ALL! Davis was a tough running interior bowling ball with great shiftiness. Penny is a linear athlete that has great size, but doesn't put it to good use. He's a finesse "big back." I think he's more comparable to Tevin Coleman--a guy that looks like a power back, but has the long speed and athleticism of a homerun back.

I don't like Penny. I want to see him run more violently and scratch for yards. He's going to be utterly useless unless he has a GOOD OL. Not just solid OL, he needs a good OL to give him some running starts. He's not a yard churner. I have him outside of the top 5 RB's in this draft and wouldn't draft him before round 4.

I don't know what to tell you, BTC...we just disagree and I see it how I called it.

Terrelle Davis was a linear athlete who strung together a series of hard cuts. In the Shannahan zone blocking scheme, it was more 1 cut linear runs where vision and power/burst won the day. TD elevated that offense through his pacing, patience, and subtle cuts stringing together with others hard cuts to gain huge chunks of yards. TD was a 4.7...40 yard dash guy and he was known for his power and vision more so than running with nastiness and breaking a ton of tackles a la Adrian Peterson or Marshawn Lynch. TD wasn't a juke master shiftiness RB...the TD I remember was a linear north and south runner...more quick than fast...w/ elite vision and patience...decisive one cut or string of cuts and get vertical RB who was tough, had a good stiff arm, and finished runs.

That's how I saw TD coming out of college.

I'm not comparing Penny to Hall of fame TD, but the prospect and their skills and raw intangibles.

I see Penny similarly albeit with less power but a more bulky athlete.

2 hours ago, Mind Character said:

I see Penny similarly albeit with less power but a more bulky athlete.

Thats all see is the less power. Personllay watching him I would've never thought of Terrell Davis as a comp. To me Penny reminds me of Lativius Murray 

2 hours ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Who’s the best coverage LB in the draft? We need to draft a bunch of those. I’m tired of large TEs killing us every year.

Schobert is a stiff in coverage, Kirk is average, Collins has been very disappointing. 

LB'ers typically don't have to cover the way ours were forced to. The way Williams played Peppers, and us not really having a FS on the team really strained the LB group and forced them to cover a lot more range than they should have to. 

1 hour ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Who’s the best coverage LB in the draft? We need to draft a bunch of those. I’m tired of large TEs killing us every year.

Schobert is a stiff in coverage, Kirk is average, Collins has been very disappointing. 

Skai Moore, And Collins showed me a lot during the Detroit game, Not giving up on him.

1 hour ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Playing Peppers somewhere closer than 25 yards back from the line of scrimmage would help with the getting gouged by TEs problem as well

Just now, H2ThaIzzo said:

LB'ers typically don't have to cover the way ours were forced to. The way Williams played Peppers, and us not really having a FS on the team really strained the LB group and forced them to cover a lot more range than they should have to. 

This.

PFF actually graded Schobert as a FREE SAFETY (!!!!!!) on some plays because of the depth he was playing.

I think the safety in the next zip code thing can be a nice wrinkle on occasion, but it’s not a base defense.

Archived