2024 Free Agency

Humble_Beast

54 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Adding one of the few true difference makers to hit the open market and at a position of vast need/importance = An L?

I don't get it.

Before FA, DT was a major consideration for one of our top 3 picks. Now DT becomes sort of a luxury pick. 

Addressing a top need in FA like that is always a good look. We can all wish we'd nabbed a second or third name brand guy, but whatever. 

Same goes for RB. Once Jacobs was gone, and a few of us assumed he'd split on the Raiders quicker than his baby mommas, RB became a mid-level need, day 2 or early day 3. That was covered as well by Mattison's signing. Although it's Zamir's ball now, we gotta have someone behind him. 

So we definitely addressed two arguably top 4 round needs via FA off the top of my head. That leaves 2, amd means we get a shot at 2 more pretty solid prospects depending on position and moving around the board. 

Is it sexy? Meh. Not really. A backup RB isn't going to be. But we couldn't put Zamir back there with a random day 3 guy from this class, so we would've needed to grab one by end of day 2, probably reaching to do so. We weren't going to spend a 1st on a RB, but we were going to spend something. Now we cam spend that on one of the deeper positions (LB? CB?). 

FA isn't like Madden Ultimate Team. It's mostly filling in the down roster needs so you can tailor the focus of the draft. Less emphasis on one position means more on others and, hopefully, better scouting and results. 

I'm not mad about it. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Don't humor him. He just likes to be negative to get attention. He doesn't even defend his own bs. 

You notice that too, been MIA then came back instantly trolling. 

Edited by raidr4life
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

Little surprised we didn’t add another LB /  CB in free agency. Still could use another vet WR

We will probably sign some FAs after the draft or after the cut from 90 to 53.  Happens every year.

Free Agents of note 4/17- the comp formula ends the Monday after the draft 

RB- JK Dobbins 

WR- Tyler Boyd, DJ Chark, Odell Beckham, MVS, Michael Gallup, Jamal Agnew, Corey Davis, Chase Claypool 

TE- Logan Thomas 

T- David Bakhtiari, DJ Humpries, Andrus Peat, Charles Leno, Donovan Smith, Mekhi Becton, Chris Hubbard

G- Dalton Risner, Phil Haynes, Matt Feiler, Mark Glowinski

DE/ Edge- Calais Campbell, Carl Lawson, Rasheem Green, Dawuane Smoot, Jerry Hughes, Shaq Lawson, Emmanuel Ogbah, Markus Golden, Marquis Haynes, Yannick, Bud Dupree, Tyus Bowser 

DT- Shelby Harris, Marlon Davidson, 

LB- Zach Cunningham, Anthony Barr, David Mayo

CB- Adoree Jackson, Xavien Howard, Stephon Gillmore, Steven Nelson, Antonio Hamilton, Ahkello Witherspoon, Levi Wallace, JC Jackson, Tre Herndon 

S- Justin Simmons, Tashaun Gipson, Quandre Diggs, John Johnson, Jayron Kearse, Marcus Maye, Jamal Adams, Terrell Edmunds 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, raidr4life said:

My next moves..

Trade 4th or 5th next year for Greg Newsome CB.

Sign speed WR. DJ Chark or Michael Gallup

Wait for cuts. Sign high priced RT for cheaper.

Maybe resign Jakob Johnson if we are using a FB

The guys I'd like to bring in are Mekhi Becton and one of Adoree/JC Jackson (buy low IK). Maybe Xavien Howard but he'll want $$$.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, agarcia34 said:

Just go sign a CB.

I wouldn’t bring in a OT yet. Allow Muford to get all the OTA reps and mini camp reps. Take a look at how’s he doing and go get a OT for training camp if needed. 

Adoree Jackson or Xavier Howard would be great additions.

1 hour ago, Justwinning said:

Adoree Jackson or Xavier Howard would be great additions.

I forgot to mention this in I just posted in the official draft Day thread: if we get an Adoree Jackson or Xavien Howard then it doesn't matter that we didn't draft the corner in the first round.

• Like 1

I’d be all over Adoree as a vet CB option - I like our CB room overall but he’s talented enough to contribute and play a ton of meaningful snaps for us. 

Also smart to take another WR imo for depth like a Gallup/Chark. Also a vet OT like Becton or Smith. 

I feel like DL has the most remaining talent. I’d look to bring in 1-2 for depth and competition…Rasheem Green, Dupree, Lawson, Campbell, Guy, etc. 

My biggest concern is for all the defensive starters we have that will be FA next year.

Epps 
Moehrig

Hobbs

Deablo

Spillane

Koonce

Butler

That's a good chunk DL rotation, 3/5 of our secondary, and all of our starting LB. Definitely a big cause for concern IMHO if we aren't able to resign some of these guys. Bolded have to come back IMHO and at least 1/2 of the LB's. Do we think anyone emerges that could knock one of these guys off? 

24 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

My biggest concern is for all the defensive starters we have that will be FA next year.

Epps 
Moehrig

Hobbs

Deablo

Spillane

Koonce

Butler

That's a good chunk DL rotation, 3/5 of our secondary, and all of our starting LB. Definitely a big cause for concern IMHO if we aren't able to resign some of these guys. Bolded have to come back IMHO and at least 1/2 of the LB's. Do we think anyone emerges that could knock one of these guys off? 

Koonce and hobbs must be resigned(unless theres a regression of some sort). outside of that the others can go. I would like to have Spillaine back but Eichenberg makes him expendable in a year. 

That said we can probably get some of them for a bargain. for example, butler and Epps will be 30. that said butlers more of a luxery at this point. and Moerig is replaceble by Polo Mao and/or potentially the 7th rounder taylor. I also want to see what Christopher Smith does in year 2. So its not as bad as people think