BDL Discussion Thread 2024

18 hours ago, Ragnarok said:

Unless you are someone's alt account, you are welcome to vote.

Voting is based off 3 main criteria.  A player's historical performance, their short term performance, and write up/game plan.

Different owners weigh the criteria differently.

@vikes635 I would wager most of us heavily weight gameplanning writeups, especially on the defensive side of the ball, when considering outcomes. 

Random 2025 Mock

Last years non playoff teams were randomized in a group of 8. Last years playoff teams were randomized in the next group of 8…

1.1 Las Vegas- James Pearce Edge Tennessee 

1.2 Hungary (from Akureyri)- Kelvin Banks Jr OT Texas

1.3 Raleigh- Will Johnson CB UM

1.4 Berlin (from Hungary)- Mykel Williams Edge UGA 

1.5 Lancaster (from Cuba)- Deone Walker INT UK

1.6 Ivory Coast- Mason Graham INT UM

1.7 Cwmfelinfach- Travis Hunter CB Colorado 

1.8 Greenland- Abdul Carter Edge PSU 

1.9 Berlin (from Svalbard)- Luther Burden WR Mizzou 

1.10 New Orleans- Will Campbell OT LSU

1.11 Berlin- Malaki Starks S UGA 

1.12 Quebec- Ben Morrison CB ND 

1.13 Rome- Harold Perkins LB LSU 

1.14 Anchorage- Kenneth Grant INT UM

1.15 Las Vegas (from Cancun)- Tetairoa McMillan WR Arizona 

1.16 Anchorage (from Lancaster)- Carson Beck QB UGA 

• Like 4

Cuba Smugglers

Offseason needs : TE, OG, OC, EDGE, INT, LB, S

Cap space remaining: $97,430

Roster spots remaining: 31

What they did so far:

1.    Made interesting 3up decisions

Cuba had intriguing 3ups decisions to make. Rashan Gary was always going to be the first one, but nothing else was obvious. Cuba elected to 3up Ezra Cleveland, despite a fairly mediocre second half of the year as a Jaguar, and Bobby Okereke. Letting Bradley Chubb hit free agency probably wasn't an easy decision but concerns about his health probably justified this decision. 

2.    Free up some money

Cuba made a big investment on Trevor Lawrence last year. With little draft picks on hand after that trade, free agency is the easiest way to surround Lawrence with a championship roster. To maximize that window, Cuba freed up a lot of money this offseason: exit Wyatt Teller, Calvin Ridley, Shaquille Leonard, Leighton Vander Esch, Jason Kelce. Even Derwin James, maybe the most iconic Smuggler, got the boot. Cuba now has a lot of money to spend. 

What remains to be done:

1.    Improve the pass rush

Cuba has one major weapon in its pass rush arsenal in Rashan Gary. Besides him, they have a nice rotation piece in Zack Seiler and Lukas Van Ness, whose impact on a BDL team is still a question mark. Major improvements are needed and expected along the DL. I think Cuba should be the main player for the top FA targets at both INT and EDGE.

FA fit: Christian Wilkins & Chase Young

2.    Reinforce the middle of the defense

Cuba has one starter at LB in Okereke and one at S with CGJ but they need probably two players at each position - some of which will be Shark Tank acquisitions. It will be particularly difficult to find the Derwin replacement to make the pair with CGJ. If there's one signing to prioritize in the back 7, I thing this should be this one. Unfortunately, safety is a position where the FA class isn't really good, so they might have to get creative to sign the right guy.

FA fit: Justin Simmons?

3.    Fill the holes at TE and C

Though those might not be priority signings for a team with already a solid weapons department and a good OL, but right now there are no established starters at both positions. FA pool is also pretty weak at TE and C, so Cuba shouldn't expect to sign difference makers there, but again, that's not really what they need either.

FA fit: Dawson Knox & Andre James

4.    Find Etienne partner in the backfield

Last year Cuba relied almost exclusively on Travis Etienne for their backfield production. You can't count on a RB to stay healthy for 14 games so Cuba will have to find someone else to work with him. Thus far, the only two positions where I expect Cuba to spend a lot of money is INT and EDGE, so they might have the cash to actually go for an expensive RB. And I think that's what they should do here.

FA fit: David Montgommery

Final assessment:

Cuba is at a crossroads. Trevor Lawrence rookie deal ends in 2 years max, maybe only one if he signs a new contract this year. To maximize that, MD4L got rid (willingly or unwillingly in the Kelce case) of aging vets with high salaries. Now with 100k to spend and fairly few needs to fill, expect MD4L to be a big-time player in Free Agency. Signing premium defensive linemen is a must, but the other big holes on this roster being positions where the FA class is pretty weak means that Cuba might end with enough cash to go after luxury players, like a RB2 or a CB2, to give TLaw an elite roster to work with. Cuba has a one-year window open, so they have the most at stake in this free agency period.

@MD4L

Next up: They-Who-Can-Not-Be-Named, also known as the Squanchy Squanch

• Like 8

4 hours ago, MWil23 said:

@vikes635 I would wager most of us heavily weight gameplanning writeups, especially on the defensive side of the ball, when considering outcomes. 

I figured, considering how in depth the game planning goes.

14 hours ago, TedLavie said:

If you want there are a couple of people, I think @MD4L and me at least, who are looking to onboard co-owners. The co-owning role is basically whatever you make it out to be - you can help on team building or gameplanning or both.

The only rule is one team can only have one vote on its own game, so an owner and co-owner can't vote together on their own game.

That's also a great way to put a foot in the league see how it works out and then become an owner once an opening is done. Out of the current owners, I know at least bcb, IR, Lukic and myself started as co-owners

Cheers

That would be very cool. My strengths would be the draft in the off season, I do in depth research from game film, pod casts, cut ups, re-watching combine, senior bowl practices, South and North Dakota scouting. I'm an individual thinker, I do have my 2024 rankings posted in the draft forum if you care to see what I thought of whom. I do go through stretches of not getting of FF but I would try hard to be on for this commitment. I also play all aspects of fantasy football, franchise leagues, re-draft leagues, keeper leagues and best ball league, only league I don't have is a franchise best ball league. 

• Like 1

Cwmfelinfach Ptrash Pterodactyls

Offseason needs : TE, LT, OC, EDGE, INT, LB, S, QB

Cap space remaining: $43,482

Roster spots remaining: 25

What they did so far:

1.    Blow up the QB room

Cwach was stuck between the money they were paying to Dak and the money they needed to allocate to Tyreek and Chris Jones and made the correct decision of downing Dak to give themselves the chance to keep Reek/Jones/Higgins. To replace him they double dipped in the 1st round of the draft and went with the back-to-back selections of Jayden Daniels and Drake Maye. They still need someone short-term, but they at least got away from a situation that had them stuck in the middle

2.    Made decisions to surround those rookie QBs

While the RB room stayed centered around Bijan, TL made big decisions to surround his new rookie QBs. First order of business was taking care of Tyreek Hill 3up. But TL also used a second 3up on Tee Higgins. While Christian Kirk got the boot, Cwach drafted Xavier Legette and Ladd McConkey and traded for Jamo to give Maye/Daniels a talented and deep WR corps. TL also decide to break away from the franchise tradition and traded for a tight end in George Kittle. As a result, Cwach has now one of the most talented weaponry in the league to help their youngsters.

3.    Trade away Sauce

There were other notable moves made by TL (drafting Alt, trading for Hubbard) but I think the most important one was trading Sauce away. One, because it allowed them to get the picks they used on Daniels and Maye. Two, because it's always going to be notable when you trade away a star in his rookie contract. TL made the deliberate decision to sacrifice Sauce for the benefit of the franchise. If one of those rookie QBs works out, that'll be the correct call. Short-term they picked up Darius Slay to replace Sauce - a move I didn't love honestly - and they will be hoping Slay can provide the coverage necessary to complement Tyson Campbell this year

What remains to be done:

1.    Find a left tackle

While TL drafted Joe Alt, he will play RT in LA and I think that's where Cwach should play him as well. Getting someone to play on the left, at least short-term, would give TL insurance in case Paris Johnson or Joe Alt don't pan out. Finding a veteran on a two year contract would give Cwach insurance short term while keeping flexibility long term. Fortunately there are plenty of such options in free agency and Cwach could be able to grab the 3rd or 4th best option and still come up with a BDL starter.

FA fit: Jake Matthews

2.    Find a safety

Another big need Cwach can fill in Free Agency is safety. I'm sure TL has high hopes on Tyler Nubin but personally I never want to rely on rookies year 1 - especially when they haven't been drafted in the 1st - so finding a third safety to upgrade the Antonio Johnson role is a must. Safety isn't the most talented FA pool there's this year, but there are still plenty of good players who should be available for fairly cheap and could fill that role.

FA fit: Mike Edwards

3.    Get a veteran QB in Shark Tank

Given the talent on roster, I don't think it can be wasted because Daniels and Maye aren't ready. You don't want to sign a QB to a 20K contract in FA for sure, but there should be multiple QBs available in Shark Tank with the ability to win a BDL title - Cwach definitely need to get its hands on one

FA fit: Matthew Stafford (in Shark Tank)

4.    Find CJ complement

Cwach has two active INT players, including Cameron Young who's not really playing in Seattle. Building depth is an obvious need but they also need to find a starting nose tackle to go along CJ. Again, I think maybe Shark Tank might be a better option for that as pure run-stopping nose tackles don't command, in BDL, multiyear deals (or at least they shouldn't unless they're absolute elite). But the need is undeniable

FA fit: Harrison Phillips (in Shark Tank)

Final assessment:

TL has been very active in his debut as an owner. Inheriting a franchise which had a lot of talent but also was at a point where they couldn't sustain the franchise contract structure, TL decided to cut ties with Dak to sign Tyreek/Jones/Higgins. They also traded for veterans in Kittle and Slay, a decision I'm more dubious about, especially Slay, because it hinders what Cwach can do in Free Agency. And money will be needed to be part of the bidding wars for Goff/Stafford/Rodgers. But overall, the offense feels pretty set minus a QB and a OL and TL will get good opportunities to sign good players at those positions. The defense definitely is weaker and realistically they could improve at every position. With limited cap space to devote to defensive players, the big challenge of TL will be to identify and sign cheap players who will end up performing above they pay grade. That's Cwach big challenge this Free Agency/Shark Tank period

@TL-TwoWinsAway

Next up: The hippos from famous wildlife treasure trove Hungary

(I'm skipping Greenland for now because they still have their 3downs to do, will come back to them next week - don't worry @Pickle Rick)

• Like 8

If I were TL, I wouldn't be putting much effort into getting a left tackle in FA. Johnson is playing blindside this year in Arizona and was nondescript enough on the right side to not worry about. Definitely get an option in FA or preferably Shark Tank as a swing guy simply because there are only three tackles on the roster and one is a major project in Manu.

• Like 2

Hungary Hippos

Offseason needs : RB, WR, LT, RT, OG (x2), LB, CB, QB, INT

Cap space remaining: $46,751

Roster spots remaining: 5 (8)

What they did so far:

1.    Clear the way for Will Levis

While Hungary alternated last year between Jared Goff and Geno Smith, they made the decisive moves of not 3upping Jared Goff and 3downing Geno Smith. While there will always be an opportunity to add a veteran QB in the Shark Tank, it's also a sign of confidence shown by PR in Will Levis after an inconsistent but promising rookie season

2.    Reinforce their back seven

Hungary back 7, especially its secondary, was much maligned last year. So PR took the bull by the horns and made a string of moves to shore up that unit: 3upping Logan Wilson and, in a relatively surprising move, Shaq Thompson at LB. Trade for Carlton Davis III. Trade for Kevin Byard. Draft Quinyon Mitchell and Cooper DeJean. While I find Davis and Byard overpaid compared to what they bring on the field currently, there's no doubt they give Hungary insurance at their respective positions and I do think Mitchell ends up being a BDL starting CB fairly soon into his NFL career.

3.    Blow up the WR corps

The Seattle duo of Tyler Lockett and DK Metcalf had been a stable component of Hungary the last couple of years, but Hungary couldn't find a 3rd guy to emerge. Lockett age starting to show, and the opportunity to get a haul for DK Metcalf motivated PR to blow up its WR room. To replace Lockett and Metcalf, PR bought low on Dionte Johnson and Calvin Ridley but also paired up Will Levis with his #1 weapon IRL in DeAndre Hopkins. Depth behind those three remains very much an issue but that's what Shark Tank is for.

What remains to be done:

1.    Find a left tackle

With 46K of cap left and less than 10 roster spots open, Hungary can feel free to target the top of the FA pool at their biggest position of need. And finding a LT will be a priority for them as no one on roster can do that currently. Tyler Moton and Trent Brown have both done it in the past, mostly Brown, but they're RT IRL and, anyways, probably shouldn't start at LT for a BDL team. Luckily, the talent available at LT is large and Hungary will be able to pick whoever they like best

FA fit: Ronnie Stanley

2.    Find at least one guard

Another spot in the OL that needs to be bolster is the G position. Alex Cappa is horrific, Christensen is still fairly unproven and Bradford is unproven and horrific. Given the salary allocated to Cappa, I'm sure he's projected to start but Hungary would be better served signing someone at one G spot and letting Cappa, Christiensen and Bradford compete for the other one. Guard is another stronghold of this FA class so Hungary will be able to find someone without paying top dollar and keep some money for the Shark Tank.

FA fit: Damien Lewis

3.    Get a veteran QB in Shark Tank

Will Levis may be promising, but there's no way Hungary should go into this year with him as the sole solution at QB. Finding a veteran to compete for the starting job is a necessity, and like for the team who can not be named, they need to keep a bunch of money available to sign their guy - whoever that it.

FA fit: Jared Goff (in Shark Tank)

4.    Find a RB

Rashaad White is a good pass catching back, but his work as a runner has been underwhelming to say the least. Blake Corum could emerge as his perfect complement, but again, I don't like betting on rookies drafted in the mid rounds to start day 1, so it's likely Hungary needs to find someone to compete with Corum to split the targets with White. Whether that's in Shark Tank or in Free Agency will depend on how much PR loves or not one specific player, but I would assume Shark Tank is the better fit here

FA fit: Gus Edwards (in Shark Tank)

Final assessment:

Hungary defense has been criticized, rightfully so, last year, so PR has been extremely active to field a competitive unit even before free agency started. Job has certainly been done, even though I feel like they have some overpaid guys who they could have found comparable players for less money. Still, besides competition for the NT spot, and maybe for the nickelback role, I don't think there are many spots where Hungary has to sign anyone - whether that's a starter or depth. The challenge for PR in this Free Agency will be to find a way to surround Levis/Shark Tank QB with a great OL and running game and hoping some players emerge to become plus starters for an Hungary teams that lacks star power aside from the DL.

@PR

Next up: the Black Rhinos from Ivory Coast, a location that actually makes sense

• Like 6

35 minutes ago, Blue said:

Where are you getting the idea that Cappa is "horrific"? He's not a Pro Bowler or anything but he's been fine the last few years.

He was not good last year. Now maybe "horrific" was harsh and influenced by the Houston game I watched where he was absolutely dreadful. But he was bottom tier in sacks and pressures allowed for a G. He's not worth a BDL starting spot imho

On 5/19/2024 at 7:40 PM, TedLavie said:

Cuba Smugglers

Offseason needs : TE, OG, OC, EDGE, INT, LB, S

Cap space remaining: $97,430

Roster spots remaining: 31

What they did so far:

1.    Made interesting 3up decisions

Cuba had intriguing 3ups decisions to make. Rashan Gary was always going to be the first one, but nothing else was obvious. Cuba elected to 3up Ezra Cleveland, despite a fairly mediocre second half of the year as a Jaguar, and Bobby Okereke. Letting Bradley Chubb hit free agency probably wasn't an easy decision but concerns about his health probably justified this decision. 

2.    Free up some money

Cuba made a big investment on Trevor Lawrence last year. With little draft picks on hand after that trade, free agency is the easiest way to surround Lawrence with a championship roster. To maximize that window, Cuba freed up a lot of money this offseason: exit Wyatt Teller, Calvin Ridley, Shaquille Leonard, Leighton Vander Esch, Jason Kelce. Even Derwin James, maybe the most iconic Smuggler, got the boot. Cuba now has a lot of money to spend. 

What remains to be done:

1.    Improve the pass rush

Cuba has one major weapon in its pass rush arsenal in Rashan Gary. Besides him, they have a nice rotation piece in Zack Seiler and Lukas Van Ness, whose impact on a BDL team is still a question mark. Major improvements are needed and expected along the DL. I think Cuba should be the main player for the top FA targets at both INT and EDGE.

FA fit: Christian Wilkins & Chase Young

2.    Reinforce the middle of the defense

Cuba has one starter at LB in Okereke and one at S with CGJ but they need probably two players at each position - some of which will be Shark Tank acquisitions. It will be particularly difficult to find the Derwin replacement to make the pair with CGJ. If there's one signing to prioritize in the back 7, I thing this should be this one. Unfortunately, safety is a position where the FA class isn't really good, so they might have to get creative to sign the right guy.

FA fit: Justin Simmons?

3.    Fill the holes at TE and C

Though those might not be priority signings for a team with already a solid weapons department and a good OL, but right now there are no established starters at both positions. FA pool is also pretty weak at TE and C, so Cuba shouldn't expect to sign difference makers there, but again, that's not really what they need either.

FA fit: Dawson Knox & Andre James

4.    Find Etienne partner in the backfield

Last year Cuba relied almost exclusively on Travis Etienne for their backfield production. You can't count on a RB to stay healthy for 14 games so Cuba will have to find someone else to work with him. Thus far, the only two positions where I expect Cuba to spend a lot of money is INT and EDGE, so they might have the cash to actually go for an expensive RB. And I think that's what they should do here.

FA fit: David Montgommery

Final assessment:

Cuba is at a crossroads. Trevor Lawrence rookie deal ends in 2 years max, maybe only one if he signs a new contract this year. To maximize that, MD4L got rid (willingly or unwillingly in the Kelce case) of aging vets with high salaries. Now with 100k to spend and fairly few needs to fill, expect MD4L to be a big-time player in Free Agency. Signing premium defensive linemen is a must, but the other big holes on this roster being positions where the FA class is pretty weak means that Cuba might end with enough cash to go after luxury players, like a RB2 or a CB2, to give TLaw an elite roster to work with. Cuba has a one-year window open, so they have the most at stake in this free agency period.

@MD4L

Next up: They-Who-Can-Not-Be-Named, also known as the Squanchy Squanch

I appreciate this writeups Ted. You were mostly spot on with our current standpoint.

Part of wanting to let go of Wyatt Teller was feeling very confident in Ezra Cleveland. Younger player, cheaper contract, and we’ve seen his progression over 5 years now.

Regarding 3 UPing Bobby Okereke, he had an excellent season last year. I’m happy to have him lead our LB core.

As for the edge position, Van Ness had 7 sacks last season. Not saying I’m not open to improving the edge rush, but I could bypass until the tank.

Same applies with DT. I think you’re underestimating Karl Brooks. I’d like to see the Packers give him more run but he’ll be part of the rotation regardless. Sieler is a starter.

No doubt about safety. We’ll see what happens. Replacing Kelce is a similar spot.

We would have preferred Charbonnet to land at a better spot. He’ll also have a role.

I don’t think this offseason is a true make or break. It is important to identify the necessary components to build a roster around Trevor. At the same time, we think getting a backup QB is important for similar reasons. Mac Jones is a fine acquisition but another backup is definitely a priority for us.

Again, thanks for this overview. Been a quiet offseason for us so it was amazing to see a full overview from another pair of eyes. Been greatly waiting to see something like this!

• Like 2