2024 Off Season Thread

On 1/25/2024 at 12:05 PM, Dbrog24 said:

Why is Mike Evans on the radio now infatuated with Mac Jones? Seems like such a strange fit here other than him very much being a pocket QB. I hate the move tbh if it's for a mid-round pick as he's suggesting. I'm ok running this year with the Winston's and/or Darnold's of the world even though they will just be more stopgaps. I really don't see us picking a QB at 12. It just isn't a Payton or Paton move TBH. Definitely feels like another CB incoming or MAYBE a Tackle if we get rid of Bolles. 

Evans is a shock-jock wanna-be, he's paid to say the obscure (which Mac Jones in DEN is). I could see a trade-back before picking a QB at 12. Feels like CB Moss will get a shot across from PSII, they traded up to get him and didn't see much PT last year, need to see what we have in him. I'm guessing an EDGE or Tackle if we stay at 12 unless Jayden Daniels falls (unlikely)

I actually know Mike pretty well and I don't think Mike is a shock-jock. I don't agree with everything he says - he was one of the McDaniels apologists, at least early on during the 2009 season. The problem with The Fan is they're hyping the non-stop Broncos QB talk, and a lot of things regarding that topic get thrown at the wall. Cecil Lammey has been scaring me recently with his drum beat for taking a QB at 12, any QB, or even trading up should one of them fall. That's the last thing we should do. 

1 hour ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

I actually know Mike pretty well and I don't think Mike is a shock-jock. I don't agree with everything he says - he was one of the McDaniels apologists, at least early on during the 2009 season. The problem with The Fan is they're hyping the non-stop Broncos QB talk, and a lot of things regarding that topic get thrown at the wall. Cecil Lammey has been scaring me recently with his drum beat for taking a QB at 12, any QB, or even trading up should one of them fall. That's the last thing we should do. 

Certainly not trying to garner your cross-hairs AAA, but anyone, as you pointed out, that randomly throws out unvalidated "theories" to create a controversial topic sure sounds like a shock-jock to me. Joe Williams certainly made a nice career out of it, one of Mike's mentors IMO. 

1 hour ago, Mazrimiv said:

Any insight as to how happy/upset I should be if Christian Parker lands the Packers DC job?  I can't say I had him on my radar.

He has done a great job with our secondary and coached under some great DCs. I think the majority of us would probably prefer to promote him and lose Vance Joseph than the other way around. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, grizmo78 said:

He has done a great job with our secondary and coached under some great DCs. I think the majority of us would probably prefer to promote him and lose Vance Joseph than the other way around. 

Parker's the shining star in our D group for sure.   Fingers crossed he stays.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MontanaBronco said:

I know he still has a year left but in an ideal world it would be nice to extend Meinerz sooner rather than later to hopefully save some money. Would be a shame if we can’t make it work with current cap limitations. 

Almost every extension has little to no year 1 cap hit.  There’s no barrier to extending Meinerz.   The earliest we can do it is this offseason it would be shocking to see anything but an extension.   He’s our Quinton Nelson.  

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

Watching this lions team, this is what happens when you prioritize the trenches. 3 1s and 2 3s on the OL.  A 1, 2, and 3 on the DL. Only 1 FA (2 if you count graham Glasgow but they drafted him initially)

here’s hoping we begin this rebuild by investing in the lines.

Well, we have some $$$ in the Oline but that Dline definitely needs an influx of higher-grade talent. 

Lammey with a bunch of tweets yesterday suggesting there's a lot of smoke around Denver making a big trade up for a QB.

He suggested Drake Maye would be the target. Would be fascinating to see if that comes to fruition.

41 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

Lammey with a bunch of tweets yesterday suggesting there's a lot of smoke around Denver making a big trade up for a QB.

He suggested Drake Maye would be the target. Would be fascinating to see if that comes to fruition.

One the one hand it seems like Cecil has taken over the mantel of “any QB at any cost” from D-Mac. In the other hand Drake Maye is the QB I would trade up for. Still. It against trading back (multiple times if needed) to acquire multiple 2nds and spending one on the Penix/Nix/Rattlers of the world as a developmental guy.

8 minutes ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

One the one hand it seems like Cecil has taken over the mantel of “any QB at any cost” from D-Mac. In the other hand Drake Maye is the QB I would trade up for. Still. It against trading back (multiple times if needed) to acquire multiple 2nds and spending one on the Penix/Nix/Rattlers of the world as a developmental guy.

Maye is the best fit in this draft for what Payton wants to do offensively. I just find it difficult to see us trading up with the lack of draft capital we have compared to some other teams. Maye likely goes 2 or 3. By that calculation, we'd trade up to 1 for Maye? I don't see that happening.

• Like 1

I was just going to come in and post about the stuff Cecil has been saying but you guys beat me to it. 

There are two schools of thought - one, get your QB secured for 5 years on a cap-friendly rookie contract and build from there, or, two, build out your team, OL and DL especially as Josh said, then add the QB and open your contention window. 

The downside to option 1 is if your team is so decrepit and lacks in so many areas it can “ruin” the rookie QB, from both his developmental curve and from a PR perspective. 

I’d much prefer option 2 but the Walmarts are going to want buzz and Sean isn’t a 32 year old hot-shot coordinator in his first job a la Zac Taylor, he wants to win now. They didn’t hire Sean to oversee a rebuilding project and Sean didn’t take the job to undertake a long rebuild.

That brings us to how the hell do we trade up? And it takes two tango. Is Washington, with Josh Harris and the NFC East market and a young HC going to trade out of second? How do you sell that to that fanbase after they suffered under Dan Synder for 20 years.  Are the Bears trading out of 1? Doubt it. The Pats? And how do we get from 12 to 1/2/3? And I don’t want anything to do with the LSU QB. The only high value piece we have to move is PS2. It’ll take 12+ PS2 + how many future 1sts to get there? 

Drake Maye would be my choice but the only way to get him is to get to 1 and I don’t think we can talk the Bears into that when their fan base (and I have a ton of family in Chicagoland) is desperate for Caleb Williams. 

I say do a fire sale - move every vet (sans PS2) you can, trade Russ, Bolles, Simmons, Sutton, Jeudy, etc., for picks, even mid round picks, trade back from 12, and fill out with some young cheap players and hope you strike gold with a few. 

I’d rather have 10 picks this year and 7+ next year than mortgage the future. 

Edited by AnAngryAmerican
  • Like 2