2024 Off Season Thread

Sean Payton had cataract surgery on his left eye last Thursday and will have cataract surgery on his right eye Wednesday, Mike Klis of 9News reports.

“First day ever wearing sunglasses coaching,’’ Payton, 60, told Klis. “Waiting for the Bill Parcells phone call [to call him a wimp].”

Not wearing sunglasses explains the cataracts.

Payton revealed at his season-ending news conference that he was going to get his eyes fixed in the offseason after calling the wrong play on his play sheet once during the 2023 season.

“That was embarrassing,” Payton said on Jan. 9.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/sean-payton-has-cataracts-removed-allowing-him-to-see-his-play-sheet

1 hour ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

I’m glad he got them fixed. Will never understand the machismo that says eye pro is for “wimps” but then again my entire adult life has been in the military where the team guys wear the most outrageous sun glasses

Never understood it either. Though I frequently catch grief from my buddies (and wife) for not wearing sunglasses while I golf. 

ESPN recently highlighted the best NFL, college and high school football players at every age between 14 and 40 years old. They tabbed Justin Jefferson, who will celebrate his 25th birthday on Sunday, as the league's best 24-year-old. 

ESPN's runner-up in the 24-year-old category was Broncos cornerback Pat Surtain II.

https://www.vikings.com/news/justin-jefferson-brandon-powell-mekhi-blackmon

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vike daddy said:

ESPN recently highlighted the best NFL, college and high school football players at every age between 14 and 40 years old. They tabbed Justin Jefferson, who will celebrate his 25th birthday on Sunday, as the league's best 24-year-old. 

ESPN's runner-up in the 24-year-old category was Broncos cornerback Pat Surtain II.

https://www.vikings.com/news/justin-jefferson-brandon-powell-mekhi-blackmon

If you can believe it, Surtain is younger than Bo Nix.

• Like 3

Just saw the Broncos have signed former USFL standout DE/Edge Dondrea Tillman, a 6-3, 270lb 26yo. He's won 3 rings in the USFL, hopefully he brings THAT type of attitude with him to this defense. 

Edited by Cutler06
  • Like 5

9 hours ago, Cutler06 said:

Just saw the Broncos have signed former USFL standout DE/Edge Dondrea Tillman, a 6-3, 270lb 26yo. He's won 3 rings in the USFL, hopefully he brings THAT type of attitude with him to this defense. 

Feels like a smart, low-risk signing. Guy performed in the USFL. He's probably hungry to prove himself. Let him fight for a spot at the back end of the pass rush rotation. Love the idea.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

Saw Broncos have hired David Shaw for a front office role.

@AnAngryAmerican should be happy.  He has been pounding the table for awhile for Shaw to be the head coach.  It almost seemed inevitable that Shaw would be with the Broncos in some capacity.  

Andrew Luck (2012, No. 1), Andrus Peat (2015, No. 13), Joshua Garnett (2016, No. 28), Solomon Thomas (2017, No. 3), Christian McCaffrey (2017, No. 😎 and David DeCastro (2021, No. 24) all played under Shaw before being selected in the first round.

3 hours ago, jsthomp2007 said:

@AnAngryAmerican should be happy.  He has been pounding the table for awhile for Shaw to be the head coach.  It almost seemed inevitable that Shaw would be with the Broncos in some capacity.  

Andrew Luck (2012, No. 1), Andrus Peat (2015, No. 13), Joshua Garnett (2016, No. 28), Solomon Thomas (2017, No. 3), Christian McCaffrey (2017, No. 😎 and David DeCastro (2021, No. 24) all played under Shaw before being selected in the first round.

I’ve heard home speak a few times about what he looks for in terms of culture building. His thoughts align with mine therefore I like him lol.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

I’ve heard home speak a few times about what he looks for in terms of culture building. His thoughts align with mine therefore I like him lol.

That's too funny! The intelligence of those that agree with me has always impressed me also. 😉

• Like 4

6 hours ago, AKRNA said:

What's not to like? 

He's a solid football guy. Can't have too many of those.

That's my thought too....and yet I have a sneaking suspicion there's a way to spin it negative haha

• Like 1