2024 CB Prospects

Heavy_Flow

5 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

Terrion Arnold will be when the process is over 

I agree based on what I've seen from draft media and my own evaluation. He's the best mover of the group and he's a physical tackler. I was high on DeJean on first impression, but I have since waned. I think he's a first round safety and a second round corner. This is how I have it tight now:

1. Arnold

2. Wiggins

3. McKinstry

4. DeJean

I have not watched any of the other players mentioned here.

Edited by Rich7sena

All the talk of who are the top corners and it is so clearly Cooper DeJean it is not even close. 

And yes he could potentially be a safety in the NFL but he would be the #1 safety in this draft class as well so who cares if it is at CB or S.  He is the #1 DB on the board without question, oh and he could play slot also and is a fine open field tackler with good arm and length strength, not to mention real standout ball skills and reaction time for a DB.

Right now I got it:

1 DeJean (Not quite Witherspoon, but I think he similar tier to Gonzalez/Deonte Banks/Porter Jr. He's very good)
2 Wiggins/Terrion
4 Tampa/Mitchell (very curious to see which one looks better during Senior Bowl week and at the combine)
6 Kool-Aid
7 Lassiter (Want to see him run in the 4.4s. Kool-Aid too)
8 King
9 Rakestraw
10 Melton

Quincy Riley is my mid round sleeper, but he'll be rising up draft boards and media mentions once Senior Bowl practices start. True track athlete, so he'll test very well.

Edited by Jeezla

On 1/19/2024 at 2:01 PM, Jeezla said:

TJ Tampa or Quinyon Mitchell. Who gets drafted first?

This is a tough one, I'd say Tampa if I had to bet but Mitchell is damn good. I think its a matter of what your preference is, Tampa definitely has CB1 traits and is physical, Mitchell does as well but has really good instincts and ball hawking. I think both should be great values

Edited by MSURacerDT55
  • Like 1

On 1/19/2024 at 2:01 PM, Jeezla said:

TJ Tampa or Quinyon Mitchell. Who gets drafted first?

Mitchell.  A bit raw but so was Porter Jr. Mitchell has the stuff.  He will be very good in the league.

Now the tougher question. Storm Duck.  Great Name.  Will he be drafted?  I think he could be a decent slot CB.  Very good for a team that plays a lot of zone.

On 1/18/2024 at 8:03 AM, goldfishwars said:

Terrion Arnold will be when the process is over 

Man, he’s so physical. You can see why teams are high on him, gives everything in run support. Getting a corner with plus value in that arena is so valuable now.

On 1/19/2024 at 12:14 PM, Ozzy said:

All the talk of who are the top corners and it is so clearly Cooper DeJean it is not even close. 

And yes he could potentially be a safety in the NFL but he would be the #1 safety in this draft class as well so who cares if it is at CB or S.  He is the #1 DB on the board without question, oh and he could play slot also and is a fine open field tackler with good arm and length strength, not to mention real standout ball skills and reaction time for a DB.

I think a lot of people probably care.  There's a significant value premium on athletes who can play ball and hold up as CBs outside.  Safeties are...pretty devalued these days.  You can find serviceable ones kicking around the bargain bin every offseason, and later in the draft.

If you're spending a pretty high 1st round pick on a guy, he'd darn well better be an impact player.  The reality is, if he ends up being predominantly a Safety...he almost has to become a ~Top-10ish Safety in the league to really make it worth the investment.

I mean, i like the guy as a player.  He's fun to watch.  But if you're drafting him and you're not supremely confident he's got the skillset to plug 'n play as a premium outside Corner...that's a recipe for disappointment.  It basically just says, he doesn't have the overwhelming skillset to be an outside CB that you wouldn't dare take off that island because he's so much better there than the next best option.  Any time you go into a 1st round pick hedging outcomes like, "at worst, he could also be this..." it's basically just conceding that he's not absolutely blowing you away in that "ideal role" (in this case, a #1 lockdown CB).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tugboat said:

I think a lot of people probably care.  There's a significant value premium on athletes who can play ball and hold up as CBs outside.  Safeties are...pretty devalued these days.  You can find serviceable ones kicking around the bargain bin every offseason, and later in the draft.

If you're spending a pretty high 1st round pick on a guy, he'd darn well better be an impact player.  The reality is, if he ends up being predominantly a Safety...he almost has to become a ~Top-10ish Safety in the league to really make it worth the investment.

I mean, i like the guy as a player.  He's fun to watch.  But if you're drafting him and you're not supremely confident he's got the skillset to plug 'n play as a premium outside Corner...that's a recipe for disappointment.  It basically just says, he doesn't have the overwhelming skillset to be an outside CB that you wouldn't dare take off that island because he's so much better there than the next best option.  Any time you go into a 1st round pick hedging outcomes like, "at worst, he could also be this..." it's basically just conceding that he's not absolutely blowing you away in that "ideal role" (in this case, a #1 lockdown CB).

I disagree, and arguably Cooper DeJean has been ball skills and is a better tackler than any CB in the up coming draft, so it is not like he cannot hang but since when is versatility bad?  Fitzpatrick, Kyle Hamilton, Winfield Jr, Jalen Pitre all can play the slot, can play deep coverage, can play in the box, can tackle in the open field, blitz, can cover the TE if asked etc..   Versatility is never bad and the fact DeJean could be a safety is not bad either.

And now a days with crossing routes the way they are, a true lock down CB people do not even throw to does not really exist anymore.  Even the top guys get picked on and beat.  There is no CB in the draft where it is like ok never throw to that guy ever.  

And slot CB play is extremely important in the NFL today, and that can be done either with a nickel CB, a great safety or a speedy linebacker.  One has to be able to cover in a variety of ways and DeJean can do that.  The kid is a freaking dude and will be the #1 DB taken easily.  Versatility is outstanding and does not mean he is not great in any one area and is average as a player, it means he is great in a variety of ways and can be used in more than just one way.  

On 1/19/2024 at 11:14 AM, Ozzy said:

good arm and length

Assuming this is arm length. His arms always looked short on tape. Maybe because he’s more muscular than some corners but I wouldn’t be surprised if they measured in kind of short. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Scoundrel said:

Assuming this is arm length. His arms always looked short on tape. Maybe because he’s more muscular than some corners but I wouldn’t be surprised if they measured in kind of short. 

That was a typo on my part, I was saying  good arm and leg strength instead of "with good arm and length strength"

The dude is cut, very strong and thick legs as well, physically he is very impressive I would say compared to most very thin corners.  And no I would not say he has super long arms at all, but so what with ball skills that he does have.  

Edited by Ozzy
  • Like 1