49ers [24] Packers [21] - PostGame Thread

CWood21

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

I will give props for how we defended McCaffrey, the box was stacked proportional to the personnel and we weren't sitting there in light boxes. However, Purdy's numbers are mostly on Purdy's awfulness. I didn't see anything in the pass game that deserves good marks. The Kittle TD was a direct result of a catastrophicly bad blitz design. Joe Barry needed a lights out game to save his job, Id give that one a 6.5/10.

Counterpoint:

The Kittle TD was a result of Anthony Johnson abandoning the middle of the field because he jumped Aiyuk's out route for some reason. 

It's pretty clear by the players' reactions at the time that was on AJ.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, beekay414 said:

Purdy made some awful throws tonight

He really did. Not too many risky ones, although a few of those, but man some over and under throws. He’s very lucky that team and system are stacked like they are. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Isherwood said:

I spent the entire day telling myself that GB could be up by 32 like last week and I would not think we would be winning the game. The reality of what happened is so much better than what I thought it would be. As Vic Ketchman once said: minimize the importance of football in your life. Sounds like you’ve got healthy mentals. 

Root like hell during but be quick to let it go

• Like 1

Just now, incognito_man said:

Counterpoint:

The Kittle TD was a result of Anthony Johnson abandoning the middle of the field because he jumped Aiyuk's out route for some reason. 

I don't think Barry was awful tonight but when we had to have it he didn't get it done. That's where we can make the upgrade and we should look to do it. 

• Like 3

Just now, incognito_man said:

Counterpoint:

That wasn't a middle of the field pass, and the blitz allowed the time for the TE to get from one hash to the other and 35 yards down field. Johnson isn't going to be in the end zone to make a play on that ball where he's supposed to be. 

7 minutes ago, MuFF said:

MLF could have challenged the spot on Love's sneak, right? The broadcast stated it would be reviewed upstairs, which I don't think is the case. 

The problem with that was it was really close.  We think they gave a bad spot, and they probably did.  But it is really hard to spot that accurately enough to change it, even with replay.  I am pretty sure that the line to go is only on the broadcast copy, so they don't have exactly what we see.  Best bet in that situation is to get the first down more clearly.

43 minutes ago, Jaire_Island said:

Preston Smith played real good today going against their LT than Gary going against their RT who has weak link on that Oline.

Preston Smith is very underrated player. 

Preston was teammates with Trent Williams in Washington. No doubt he knows how to rush him.

9 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Legitimately asking, what part of the defense played well tonight?  Christian McCaffrey averaged 5.8 YPA tonight, and his season average was 5.4 YPA.  Brock Purdy completed 58.9% of his passes with 0 INTs, and his season average was 69.4% and averaged 0.6 INT per game this season.  The 49ers were converting 62.5% of their 3rd downs, and their regular season average was 47.5%.  The defense didn't play well.

1st - I'm legitimately asking - have you ever watched McCaffrey play?  He's the best offensive weapon in the game right now.     

Are you somehow suggesting limiting Brock Purdy to 58.9% was ....bad?      10% below his season average!?  O INT's?  -  Savage and Nixon were both in position to come away with 2 picks.  That's on Barry how exactly?   We put consistent pressure on Purdy tonight and put him on the ground repeatedly.     The D-line played well.

I said it earlier - totally cool with Barry moving on.  This just seems a stupid game to try to pile on him for

• Like 1

Just now, Striker said:

I'm not as convinced of this based on MLF's words these past few weeks.

Defense gave our offense a LOT of chances tonight. Offense kinda dropped the ball. Started out 0-3 in RZ. Two turnovers. Stopped on 4th. Missed FG. 

Better yet, our defensive players sure seemed to be in the right spots a lot but lost a lot of individual talent plays (missed tackles, dropped INTs).

If you're looking at this game objectively, Barry appeared to have definitely called a game good enough to expect to win with.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

I don't think Barry was awful tonight but when we had to have it he didn't get it done. That's where we can make the upgrade and we should look to do it. 

It looks more and more like a talent issue to me. 

I'd love to upgrade both our coaching and our secondary.

1 minute ago, ThatJerkDave said:

The problem with that was it was really close.  We think they gave a bad spot, and they probably did.  But it is really hard to spot that accurately enough to change it, even with replay.  I am pretty sure that the line to go is only on the broadcast copy, so they don't have exactly what we see.  Best bet in that situation is to get the first down more clearly.

There didn't seem to be any definitive shot he made it.  I'm convinced it was a bad spot but agree a challenge wouldn't have been successful

• Like 1