Boston College Head Coach Jeff Hafley is Packers New DC

2024 DC Search  

75 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you WANT to be the next DC?

• Jeff Hafley
    • Jim Leonhard
    • Wink Martindale
    • Ejiro Evero
    • Christian Parker
    • Zach Orr
    • Jesse Minter
    • Anthony Weaver
    • Chris Hewitt
    • Al Harris
    • Larry Foote
    • Aden Durde
    • Dennard Wilson
    • Aubrey Pleasant
    • Brandon Staley
    • Joe Barry
    • Bobby Babich
    • Mike Vrabel
    • Leslie Frazier
    • Chris Harris

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/01/2024 at 01:07 AM

4 minutes ago, spilltray said:

The Bellicheck talk here is absolutely ridiculous. Dude isn't taking a DC job and it's absolutely ridiculous to suggest it's even worth considering. I doubt he's even interested in a HC job unless he can do it his way. There is no reason for him to take anything less, unless it's basically a retirement/consulting type role with a team. I'm sure he would like to chase that record but he also wants to do it HIS way. 

what did Bill have for breakfast this morning? You seem to be in his inner circle!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

he'd be another 'two totally different types of people and defensive coordinators'?

I meant more as a retread hire with middling results. As a defensive guy, Staley's defense with LAC never ranked higher than 27th in points per game. His defenses with LAC were underwhelming with talented players (e.g., Derwin James, Khalil Mack, Joey Bosa, etc). He had an amazing defense, in his single season with the Rams in 2020, but he arguably had two of the best defensive players in the league on that defense (e.g., Donald and Ramsey). 

I want to see us hire a guy from the BAL/SF tree. Two teams where a strong defensive culture is a part of their DNA. I would be happy with either of Weaver or Hewitt. 

• Like 3

The thing about Staley is he's a bit of an unknown at DC. He only did it for one year, and had a great year. 

We also know his defense has been awful as a HC. Are there any examples of good DC -> bad defense as HC -> good DC again out there?

Edited by incognito_man

The 2020 Los Angeles Rams with Staley as defensive coordinator and Barry as linebackers coach led the NFL with 18.5 points allowed per game. Moreover, the Rams were first in total defense and yards allowed per play, first in passing yards allowed per play, third in rushing yards allowed per play and third on third down.

55 minutes ago, spilltray said:

The Bellicheck talk here is absolutely ridiculous. Dude isn't taking a DC job and it's absolutely ridiculous to suggest it's even worth considering. I doubt he's even interested in a HC job unless he can do it his way. There is no reason for him to take anything less, unless it's basically a retirement/consulting type role with a team. I'm sure he would like to chase that record but he also wants to do it HIS way. 

Word is that he didn’t get the Falcons gig bcuz he pressed Blank for control over personnel which was not going to happen.  If he wouldn’t take a HC job straight up, it’s really difficult to see him taking a DC gig.  I guess it will depend on badly he wants to coach next year. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, thrILL! said:

Word is that he didn’t get the Falcons gig bcuz he pressed Blank for control over personnel which was not going to happen.  If he wouldn’t take a HC job straight up, it’s really difficult to see him taking a DC gig.  I guess it will depend on badly he wants to coach next year. 

I severely doubt he does, but it would be cool to see such an old established coach play the "Splinter" role for a bunch of young ninja turtles. Kind of a getting back to the basics of coaching sort of thing. He's probably not interested. And if I made the kind of money he's made, and had the kind of relatively unmarred legacy he has, not sure I'd have the energy or want-to for that either. 

• Like 2

I know it was just one year and he had a couple HOFers but wasn't the Rams defense pretty creative under Staley? It was by far the best defense the Rams have had in the McVay era.

I would also push back on the Chargers defense being loaded on talent. Derwin James has looked pretty washed (maybe Staley is to blame) and Bosa is never healthy.

42 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

The thing about Staley is he's a bit of an unknown at DC. He only did it for one year, and had a great year. 

We also know his defense has been awful as a HC. Are there any examples of good DC -> bad defense as HC -> good DC again out there?

The best I can think of is Gunther Cunningham.  But I would be lying if I said I remember how his defenses fared.  I just know that he was DC for the Chiefs, then HC for the Chiefs, then came back as DC for the Chiefs.

• Like 1