Commanders hire Dan Quinn as HC, Former Atlanta HC and Dallas DC

scar988

2 minutes ago, MaddHatter said:

Wonder who he takes with him - some good talent in the Dallas Defensive Coaching staff that I'm sure Jerry hopes to retain.  Worst part is the hiring cycle is towards the end so anyone we'd want to go after is likely already gone, meaning an internal promotion is most likely.

2 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

If it’s Klint Kubiak or Mike Lafleur or even a college mind, there’s hope.   

If it’s Brian Schottenheimer or Darrell Bevell - I’m so very, very, very sorry.   

Yeah, the OC hire was more important to me than HC if we decided to go with a defensive-minded HC.

Hope Peters has something cooking from the Shanny tree.

Besides the OC, Quinn is going to have to show he’s learned re: game management.    Not just the SB, but many games Quinn showed he truly was bottom 5 in that cat.   

As for being different than Rivera - Rivera was a DC fraud imo.  His admission that he didn’t do any coaching in WAS the last 3 years mirrors a lot of what happened in CAR.   I defer to CAR fans but it just seemed he was just….there.   Even the Riverboat moniker was a fraudulent title - he only went that hard when he had nothing to lose.   His WAS tenure was as conservative and clueless and the exact opposite from high-risk gambler.    

With Quinn you are getting a great D mind and a guy who really does engage the team.   As opposed to the reallly likeable but completely inept Rivera.  

The butterfly effect where DAL hires Rivera as DC to replace Quinn there would be delicious though.    Getting the popcorn out there.  

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Yeah, the OC hire was more important to me than HC if we decided to go with a defensive-minded HC.

Hope Peters has something cooking from the Shanny tree.

On the Shanahan coaching tree currently id look at the 49ers TE coach Brian Fleury. Former QB has coached defense and currently is in charge of putting together the run game plan. 

49ers QB coach Brian Griese 2022 he helped improve Jimmy G and of course we know Purdy. Think he would be an interesting person to look into. 

• Like 1

Before Dallas lost to the Packers, everyone thought he was a great candidate, that he was a top tier HC candidate.

Now the general feeling is that he is a consolation prize?! Come on guys, we can do better than that.

He's a great hiring, who did a good job as HC of the Falcons, and might well repeat that with Washington.

• Like 1

In all seriousness I don't think this hire is that bad. I think it is meh. He is clearly a very good defensive coach. I do worry about their offense now as he won't have Kyle Shanahan to carry that side of the ball for him in Washington. 

I am just really happy it isn't Ben Johnson or Mike Macdonald. 

I can’t stress enough how important game management improvement with Quinn will be.  It wasn’t just the Super Bowl.   Many examples.   DAL fans will remember week 1 2020 lol.  

That along with the OC are pivotal to Quinn’s future in WAS as HC.   WAS fans have to hope GM Peters and he are on the same page about an aggressive and fresh perspective.  Going recycle route (Bevell / Schotty lol) would be a disaster.    Time to wait and see.  

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

He's probably not the guy to get them to 14 wins, but he can get them to 10 and make sure the team consistently plays hard/the locker room culture is good. Then they can go out and advertise a much more compelling job to an offensive minded coach.

Could be worse.

I was 14 when Snyder bought the team. I'm going to be 39 in August. I'm getting tired of kicking this "lets try not to suck" thing down the road whilst improving culture is the excuse used for hiring scrub retreads. 

5 minutes ago, MaddHatter said:

Yeah, Joe is our top candidate to replace Quinn in Dallas.  Also have Al Harris Jr. who coaches our DBs/secondary who may follow Quinn even though he's a McCarthy guy

Would either want to be the DC in Washington with no play calling duties? I know it's a bump in pay, another step into becoming a real DC but it would be DC in Name only. 

Quinn will call plays I'd assume, be in charge of that defense no?