Who would you draft? Drake Maye or Jayden Daniels

mdonnelly21

43 members have voted

1. 1. Your team needs a QB who are you taking between these two?

• Jayden Daniels
    • Drake Maye

I'd take Maye, but I'm way lower on both than most people.

Daniels I don't think has the frame to survive being the kind of QB he needs to be in the NFL (dual threat), and frankly I'm not super thrilled with the way the ball comes off his hands compared to Maye or Williams.

Maye I just don't trust the processor. He's got everything else, but I watch his film and I only see him making half field, single read plays.... and he's too eager to run, despite not actually being that dynamic a runner. I feel like you basically need to teach him how to read defenses/the entire Field from the ground up. That said, despite SERIOUS misgivings about him, if he can be made comfortable in the pocket, and does develop the mental game, his arm talent when playing in structure is elite, even by nfl standards.

• Like 4

I'd lean toward Daniels. He has more experience and probably more tools in his box. IMO his bust potential is lower. Maye looked good in college, especially in 2022 when he had better receivers but he's from the Trubisky and Howell QB line. Stroud changed the history of OSU QBs so maybe Maye will do it for UNC. But I wouldn't want to bet my job on it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Epyon said:

I'd take Maye, but I'm way lower on both than most people.

Daniels I don't think has the frame to survive being the kind of QB he needs to be in the NFL (dual threat), and frankly I'm not super thrilled with the way the ball comes off his hands compared to Maye or Williams.

Maye I just don't trust the processor. He's got everything else, but I watch his film and I only see him making half field, single read plays.... and he's too eager to run, despite not actually being that dynamic a runner. I feel like you basically need to teach him how to read defenses/the entire Field from the ground up. That said, despite SERIOUS misgivings about him, if he can be made comfortable in the pocket, and does develop the mental game, his arm talent when playing in structure is elite, even by nfl standards.

Well put. I'm also a bit wary about how Daniels' ASU stint ended. Not a lot of teary eyes when he left. Maybe he has matured/it was a bad situation, but like Rattler, I'd be really looking into the personality (which is info I'm not privy to).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Epyon said:

Maye I just don't trust the processor. He's got everything else, but I watch his film and I only see him making half field, single read plays.... and he's too eager to run, despite not actually being that dynamic a runner. I feel like you basically need to teach him how to read defenses/the entire Field from the ground up.

Bad at reading the defense, single read qb that's too eager to run... And you capitalized Field. I gotta think that's either intentional or your unconsciously making comparisons. 😆

I'm not super high on any of the QBs this year either but I think I'm taking Maye here.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

Man some of the shots this guy takes

I think it's certainly fair to question how Daniels' frame is going to hold up if he continues to take hits like that as a Pro.  It's also something that is hard to really coach out of a guy or change about them.  Especially considering he's an older QB prospect to begin with, and more ingrained habits along with that.  Some guys are just naturally better at protecting themselves, while others have a bit more of a kamikaze mentality that they rarely tend to get over.

Anyway.  I'd take Maye.  It's really probably a closer question for me if you ask Caleb Williams or Drake Maye for me tbh.  I've got reservations about all three to varying degrees.  But they are all guys with a lot of upside.

• Like 1

Maye. But people aren’t understanding that Daniels isn’t some running QB that occasionally throws well from the pocket. He can be very successful even if QB runs were banned. Dude can throw the ball very well & just so happens to have some great long speed. I don’t think he runs all that much in the NFL.

We've done the Jayden Daniels thing with a much better prospect in RG3. It didn't work out because much like Daniels, RG3 refused to slide. All its going to take is him taking off against Dallas and Micah Parsons killing him before we're back in the QB hunt. I'd be absolutely shocked if we don't pick Maye at 2. And I've said it multiple times that I think come draft day McCarthy surpasses Daniels as well. His slight build is going to be a major issue. 

• Like 1