Who do you think your team's biggest, historical rival really is?

TecmoSuperJoe

I don't think this is clear cut for a lot of franchises. I'm interested to here the responses here. I'm a 49ers fan I think the biggest rival we've had in our history is the Rams. However, they really haven't had had a back and forth rivalry for a while. Both teams haven't been consistently good together for several years since I'd say the 80's. So a lot of other people will say Seahawks, Cowboys, Packers, or the Giants even. Obviously everyone is going to have different views, but I still think the Rams and 49ers are the biggest rivals for each other. 

I'm pretty confident in saying Giants/Eagles or Bears/Packers will always be each other's biggest rivalry regardless of how one team is doing compared to the other. A lot of other teams are mysteries to me though. I don't know who the Raiders biggest rival is. Chiefs? Broncos? I don't know about the Bengals or Cardinals either. 

The Falcons would be Saints for sure but the 49ers aren't far behind them imo.  If you grew up in the 80's to 90's even more so when prime time and rice was battling it out their was always hype on those games.  Plus the 49ers whipped our butts most the time so their was a hatred there that built up alot over those years lol.

But still Saints and Falcons will forever and probably always will be the biggest rivalry for either team as that hatred runs deep and is really ugly.  When your 2 teams are pure crap most the time and yall are fighting for who's not crappier of the 2 over the years it's not pretty :D     But now both teams are much better and well respected talent wise and the rivalry is really fun now.

I think it depends on how old the fan you ask is.

For example: In my lifetime the Chargers biggest rival has been the Broncos. The Raiders probably are historically, but the Raiders have largely been garbage in my lifetime.

Packers/Bears is another example of a rivalry that is historically significant, but the Bears have largely been mediocre for most of the past 25 years while the Vikings have been far more competitive with the Packers during that time.

4 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

I don't think this is clear cut for a lot of franchises. I'm interested to here the responses here. I'm a 49ers fan I think the biggest rival we've had in our history is the Rams. However, they really haven't had had a back and forth rivalry for a while. Both teams haven't been consistently good together for several years since I'd say the 80's. So a lot of other people will say Seahawks, Cowboys, Packers, or the Giants even. Obviously everyone is going to have different views, but I still think the Rams and 49ers are the biggest rivals for each other. 

I'm pretty confident in saying Giants/Eagles or Bears/Packers will always be each other's biggest rivalry regardless of how one team is doing compared to the other. A lot of other teams are mysteries to me though. I don't know who the Raiders biggest rival is. Chiefs? Broncos? I don't know about the Bengals or Cardinals either. 

Rams-49ers rivalry is official and fine no matter who's been better..because lifetime they are even almost

fhDeJPZI_o.png

Titans for the Texans. Houston's current team vs Houston's old team.

Dallas always generates bad blood, too - it's a rivalry that crosses multiple sports (Rockets/Mavs, Astros/Rangers) so it's a deeper seeded rivalry. People from Houston don't like people from Dallas, and people from Dallas don't like people from Houston.

Jags titans usually always a tough game. Probably our biggest divisional rivalm 

Jags dolphins is a battle of i-95 so state rivalry

Jags steelers was always a good game back in the day before the texans came into existence.

Texans get honorary mention because during expansion draft it seemed like appx a 10th of their roster were former jaguars.  

49 minutes ago, EliteTexan80 said:

Titans for the Texans. Houston's current team vs Houston's old team.

Dallas always generates bad blood, too - it's a rivalry that crosses multiple sports (Rockets/Mavs, Astros/Rangers) so it's a deeper seeded rivalry. People from Houston don't like people from Dallas, and people from Dallas don't like people from Houston.

I can confidently state, as a Cowboys fan, in his 40's, born and raised in DFW, I've never felt a consensus from other local Dallas fans that we really cared that highly about the Houston Oilers/Texans.  As far as we were concerned, it seemed more like they (Houston) were interested in some "intrastate rivalry" that simply wasn't there.  Our rivals have always been the Redskins, Eagles, Giants and 49ers (not so much anymore). After that, we've had a recent decade of heated rivalry with the Saints and their fans.  Casuals and the media didn't pick up on that rivalry, but in NE Texas, we kinda loathed the Saints and their "Who Dat" fanbase. It was partly because they owned us a lot with Brees, but moreso because they are geographically the closest NFC team to us (thus the back and forth between our fans). It's died down a bit, but it was white hot for awhile there.   BTW,  please fire Payton so he can come back home to Dallas.

Now that's just my experience with football. I can't speak to lesser sports like bat-ball or shooty-hoops...

Archived