Who do you think your team's biggest, historical rival really is?

TecmoSuperJoe

52 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Really don't know for NE. We don't have a successful past, so it has to be based on 2001 and since.

One of Colts, Broncos, Dolphins, Jets. 

Realistically the NFL. We have some type of history with the Raiders, Steelers, Colts, Broncos, Rams, Seahawks, Giants, Jets, Dolphins, Bills, Ravens, Texans , Panthers, Chiefs and Chargers. Easier to list who we don't have some type of rivalry with.

Falcons are definitely the Saints biggest rival, and it's largely underrated to a lot of fans.

Outside of the Falcons, personally I feel as if the Cowboys are a big rival, and this is due mostly to that fact that a lot of Dallas fans spill over into Louisiana and Mississippi, and the one thing they all have in common is that they hate the Saints.  There are also a lot of Green Bay fans around that hate the Saints, largely because of Brett Favre.

The one other fan base that's relatively big around here, is the Patriots, and 99% of them became Patriots fans sometime after 2001, and they all seem to hate the Saints and were just looking for an excuse to root for another team.

So I'd say outside of the division, those three teams are what I consider the biggest rivals.

Probably the Steelers or Titans.

1995-1998, we were trading the division title back and forth with the Steelers. We could add the Broncos in there, but that was mostly as the role of spoiler for the 1996 season that was supposed to net Elway his first title.

1999, and the Titans really played the role of nemesis at that point.

2000-2004, maybe the Titans continued on as our nemesis, but we clearly weren’t engaging in any real rivalries. At that point, there were some big wins and important games against the Steelers there too. Closing down 3 Rivers, 9-0, etc.

2005-2007, the Colts were the biggest rival. But our biggest series of that time had to be the way we played Pittsburgh at Heinz in the 2007 season and postseason.

2008-2016, I’m not sure anyone really engaged in anything resembling a rivalry with us. Maybe the Browns or Rams, solely based on a race to the bottom.

2017, the Titans are again playing the largest potential role for our spoiler. And we *arrived* with the performance against the Steelers.

5 hours ago, Pugger said:

For most of our history the Bears have been our biggest rival.  Lately the Vikings have been.

You can pretty much mix and match any grouping of the Packers, Bears, and Vikings as all of them hover somewhat near .500, as the Vikings lead the Bears 59-51-2 and the Packers lead the Vikings by the same margin, along with the Packers-Bears matchup listed on Page 1.  All 3 of them dominate the Lions.  But, the majority of the rivalries are hotter during some decades than others...pre-1970, it was Packers-Bears, during the 70s, I'm not sure, since the Vikings were so dominant,  during the 80s, it was probably Vikings-Bears, during the 90s, it was Vikings-Packers, during the 00s, it was probably Packers-Bears again, and now, it's back to Vikings-Packers.  

Archived