Falcons sign QB Kirk Cousins (4 years, $180M, $100M gtd)

RaidersAreOne

16 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

So is anybody still in the Justin Fields sweepstakes?  Vikings need a QB, but the Bears aren't going to trade him in the division.  

I don't know why not.  If he's not good enough for us to win, why would we not want to see him go to a division rival?  It's not like when Favre left Green Bay.  I'm a big fan of Justin Fields, the man, but his ceiling seems very limited in the NFL, IMO.  I hope he ends up in a place where he can extend his career, but I wouldn't be terribly worried about seeing him play for any of the other three NFC Norris teams.

Seems decent for a QB needy team who has a nice fit for their new OC. Veteran makes more sense than a rookie QB at this point. Vikings probably only offered a team-friendly deal, given they've been desperate to replace him. They're not ideally set to replace him, so hope they don't regret it. 

Front loaded two year deal they can easily get out of if he bombs. Smart move and the falcons can focus on defense with Morris not having to worry about QB stability for the next 2-3 years.

draft a long term guy this year or next as well.

20 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

Maybe I’m a hater, but Cousins is going to be 36 years old coming off a torn Achilles… how confident should we be that there won’t be a noticeable fall off in his game? 

Certainly is far from a guarantee that this works out well for Atlanta, but they had to do something at QB and this is about the best move they could have realistically made.

2 minutes ago, RuskieTitan said:

I'm surprised they are moving on from Ridder. I've been told if you take out all his bad plays, he's a good quarterback. Are they going to have Cousins and Ridder battle it out in TC?

I still think Ridder is legit talented but he's gotta figure it out between the ears and be consistent if he wants to stay in the league.   He has every tool you would want from a franchise QB and has made some legit impressive plays at times.   But you gotta be consistent and limit all the bone headed plays to be a true #1.

3 minutes ago, FalconFan13 said:

I still think Ridder is legit talented but he's gotta figure it out between the ears and be consistent if he wants to stay in the league.   He has every tool you would want from a franchise QB and has made some legit impressive plays at times.   But you gotta be consistent and limit all the bone headed plays to be a true #1.

Maybe he can learn from watching Cousins go to work.

20 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Atlanta needed to do something at QB but yeah, this scares me in a season or two.

In fairness, the Atlanta OL is better than any OL Kirk played behind in his entire tenure in Minnesota (save, maybe his first year there).  If the Achilles heals (and he had a tear, not a complete rupture) without sapping him of explosiveness in his drive-leg (I'll be honest I don't know whether the injury was in his drive leg or his plant leg, but muscles compensating for opposing muscles is common), it's not a sure-fire matter that he's going to suffer long-term performance negatives from the injury in the same way a skill-position player would.