Packers Signing RB Josh Jacobs

3 minutes ago, StatKing said:

2 out of his last 3 seasons he hasn't reached 1k yards and in 2022 he had almost 400 touches. We paid him after a year where he had career lows across the board. 

Small box bro, you're in the small box. Look at the whole team, look at what he had to work with. sheesh that's a dam dumpster fire in Oak/LV. If you can't see that you're missing a good deal of the entire picture. He was a moster for that team at times and all they had.

Just now, TheGreatZepp said:

That Raiders offense was such a dumpster fire last year, their o line was highly regarded in pass blocking iirc but QB and play calling truly provided nothing, even Davonte had his worst season in 6 years. Still that said always some reservation on how hungry a player stays after getting paid

I know Eddy Lacy stayed hungry. 

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, LacyIsGood said:

Is there any word on if the Packers ever entertained having Jacobs and Jones? Because it seems unlikely Jones will get much more on the open market then what that pay cut with GB would get him 

i'm not sure, but the idea of both of them was really ******* cool for....an hour. 

ngl fellas i'm pretty bummed. Jones was a leader and heartbeat of this offense. the young players looked up to him. Gutey saying "he'll be back" and then cutting him like this, it's not sitting well with me. i'm hoping he sees what his market is and then comes back to us on a new deal, but with the comments made by Gutey today it certainly seems like it's over 

i get that it's a business but as fans we can't help but be emotional. and if i see Jonesy with the purple douchebags imma cry 

• Like 2

I think the Packers were going to cut Jones last offseason unless he took a paycut. Jones correctly surmised that he would earn more taking the paycut over hitting free agency in a depleted RB market.

This was coming off a fully healthy 17 game season if I remember correctly. Seems unfair but the Packers had to do some things in order to get under the cap especially with taking on Rodgers dead cap money.

With Jordan Love as the Packer starting QB for the first time It did not surprise me they wanted to support him with a solid run game hence the Jonathan Taylor trade interest. Jones cap hit was much smaller then and we surely would've seen Taylor/Jones rushing combo. That would've been fun to watch.

This time round Jones missed most of the season to injury, even when he did play he was merely decent until he blew up in the final stretch of the season and playoffs. Unfortunately he had a cap hit of $17m so the Packers felt they had to negotiate his contract again. Seems rude to do so again but to be fair the cap hit vs his production made negotiation necessary. That cap hit was the 2nd biggest cap hit out of all the RBs under contract for the 2024 season. Honestly not surprising we tried to adjust Jones contract.

The signing of Jacobs briefly gave us hope of a Jacobs/Jones combo but this time Jones cap hit was too large to make it happen.

I'm not surprised they could not work out a deal. Don't think Jones ego could accept another paycut but the good news for him is that it appears the RB market this time round is much more robust and he should get a solid deal somewhere and that should push his career earnings past the $40m mark.

The cap decisions we made in the past and the timing of Jones injury caught up with us and it created the conditions where we had to somewhat prematurely part ways with Jones. It's unfortunate but this is the business reality of the NFL.

The good news is the Packers have done well to adjust to that new reality by signing a extremely solid RB. That's Gute doing his job.

Edited by Chili
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, PACKRULE said:

Small box bro, you're in the small box. Look at the whole team, look at what he had to work with. sheesh that's a dam dumpster fire in Oak/LV. If you can't see that you're missing a good deal of the entire picture. He was a moster for that team at times and all they had.

I'm in the small box? Everyone in this thread seems to be fixated on one year.  The Raiders got rid of him for a reason, primarily because they ran him into the ground in 2022. I'm just worried we got him right before the wheels fall off completely .

2 minutes ago, Isherwood said:

We bought low on him. I’m not saying there’s not a risk, and I’m not saying he’s guaranteed to bounce back. But keeping Jones carries similar risk. Were there other backs on the market without similar warts or risks? I don’t think so. 

If you wanted to go purely draft, then that’s one thing. But I’m not sure we could have done better than we did here. 

If we hit on a shiftier pass catching back in the draft, especially 3rd round or lower, things will be looking  dry good there. Bring in some athletes to develop and train on the PS and keep the train moving full steam ahead. 

4 minutes ago, persiandud said:

i'm not sure, but the idea of both of them was really ******* cool for....an hour. 

ngl fellas i'm pretty bummed. Jones was a leader and heartbeat of this offense. the young players looked up to him. Gutey saying "he'll be back" and then cutting him like this, it's not sitting well with me. i'm hoping he sees what his market is and then comes back to us on a new deal, but with the comments made by Gutey today it certainly seems like it's over 

i get that it's a business but as fans we can't help but be emotional. and if i see Jonesy with the purple douchebags imma cry 

I'm with you on that. I really thought if anything we would have him for two more years. It's a real bummer. He brought so much more than just his amazing game. Dude is a class act world class teammate.

Case in point. Def going to miss 33 in the green and gold. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, StatKing said:

I'm in the small box? Everyone in this thread seems to be fixated on one year.  The Raiders got rid of him for a reason, primarily because they ran him into the ground in 2022. I'm just worried we got him right before the wheels fall off completely .

Nah he's 26 got lots left in those legs. You'll see. Nothing anyway can say will sway you. But ask yourself if Jones was that good and yes he was good just not always. Why wouldn't we get him 400 touches a year? Why did we not get him that or close to that in any year? The pack kept him on a pitch count they were smart with him but no way can or could Jones pull that. Jacobs can. IN 5 years with that team, he's still at a 4.2 yrd per carry avg. You did suggest he only had 1 good year but he rushed for 4.8 yard per carry in another year. Kid can play.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, StatKing said:

This is wrong .. it was reported earlier today that the Raiders were expecting to resign him and the Packers outbid them. The raiders were confident they were going to be able to work out a new deal with him and Packers stepped in after Jones turned their offer down the other day. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, incognito_man said:

Josh Jacobs is 3mo older than AJ Dillon. Just imagine this as "Jacobs is what we hoped Dillon would be, so let's give him the money we were hoping Dillon would be worth"

I had this exact thinking about McKinney and Savage. The money was always there. 

• Like 2

He's a better version of Dillon but he ain't no Aaron Jones.  Not really a fan of the signing.  Of course wasn't a fan of signing Charles Woodson either.  So there's that.  Need to supplement him in the draft.  Need a slasher like Jones with some speed.  Keep Jacobs fresh and rotate RB's might turn out OK.  Gonna miss Jones not going to lie.  Don't think Jacobs is as good or dynamic.  

Just now, Scoremore said:

He's a better version of Dillon but he ain't no Aaron Jones.  Not really a fan of the signing.  Of course wasn't a fan of signing Charles Woodson either.  So there's that.  Need to supplement him in the draft.  Need a slasher like Jones with some speed.  Keep Jacobs fresh and rotate RB's might turn out OK.  Gonna miss Jones not going to lie.  Don't think Jacobs is as good or dynamic.  

I think Jacobs is better. 

Have to admit, my initial reaction was 'meh'. I didn't have a high opinion of Jacobs. I didn't have really any opinion. I kind of thought of him as athletically limited. But that's not really the case at all when you watch him. He has some great footwork behind the line of scrimmage and good vision. And he looks smooth as a pass catcher. I was surprised by that, wasn't expecting it because that wasn't the image I had of him in my head. He pretty effortlessly broke off some long TDs that took me by surprise, too.

Edited by incognito_man
  • Like 3

I may be wrong, but given Josh Jacobs is a 220pnd+ RB, I've been wondering if Gute wants to get away from these 240pnd+ plodders as far as playing that Late December in Lambeau short yardage bruiser role. (Braelon Allen fans may hate this post). I mean, with the relatively recent rules on leading with the helmet and such, that former "Brandon Jacobs" era seems long gone. Granted, Josh Jacobs got flagged for leading with the helmet more than once last season so my speculation may be moot. I just question the value of a 240pnd+ RB if he is somewhat limited by the rules in terms of using his weight advantage to run with low pad level through tacklers and punish them, given that sometimes can end up leading with the helmet and getting flagged, even if it was unintentional. I rarely saw Dillon running with low pad level. He rarely lowered the boom, at least last season. Maybe it's just a Dillon thing, but I do at least wonder if Gute might be thinking a shiftier, slightly quicker 220pnd RB might be better overall as the maximum size for the RB unit. Again, it's just a speculation, so don't freak. I could be wrong. If Gute drafts Allen, such a speculation will be definitely be proven wrong. But I do at least pose the question.

Edited by DWhitehurst