Packers Signing RB Josh Jacobs

6 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

we replace Jones w/ Jacobs in 2024 and get his rights thereafter for 3 more years until he reaches what is Jones' current age

easy to see how this was a pretty obvious decision from a purely on the field move

Other than paying Jacobs rather than Dillon, this is playing out more or less how Gute envisioned it when he drafted Dillon.  It will play out again a few years from now with whichever RB Gute drafts next month.  Just have to hope this next guy pans out better than Dillon did.

Edited by Mazrimiv
  • Like 1

Will always remember Jones as a Cowboy killer. He saved his best for them. 
It'll be interesting to see where he goes....and how it affects us.
Best case? He winds up in the AFC somewhere. Watch KC pick him up!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Leader said:

Will always remember Jones as a Cowboy killer. He saved his best for them. 
It'll be interesting to see where he goes....and how it affects us.
Best case? He winds up in the AFC somewhere. Watch KC pick him up!

I could easily see Jones targeting a ring at this point and latching onto one of the AFC contenders.  Maybe Jones to BAL or CIN?

How mad would GB fans be if Jones went to SF on a cheap deal just to "stick it" to Gute?

Edited by Mazrimiv

I just need Jones to go sign with the Texans and NOT the Cowboys so I can feel a bit better about seeing him go. Let him return back home to Texas, just not with Dallas. I want to root for him and the Texans are a fun, young team that's easy to root for

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

I could easily see Jones targeting a ring at this point and latching onto one of the AFC contenders.  Maybe Jones to BAL or CIN? How mad would GB fans be if Jones went to SF on a cheap deal just to "stick it" to Gute?

He's gonna help somebody thats for sure. I'd rather it be in the AFC and somebody we dont see till the SB.

Just now, deltarich87 said:

I just need Jones to go sign with the Texans and NOT the Cowboys so I can feel a bit better about seeing him go. Let him return back home to Texas, just not with Dallas. I want to root for him and the Texans are a fun, young team that's easy to root for

I already don't hate DAL just because of Mac.  Dallas with Mac and Jones would make them even more tolerable.

• Like 3

ESPN hates it

Packers to sign RB Josh Jacobs

The deal: Four years, $48 million with $12.5 million guaranteed
Grade: C-

The Packers decided to pay Jacobs approximately $12 million instead of paying Aaron Jones approximately $11 million and that is a trade I would make zero days per week.

I'm usually the first to choose a younger running back -- and Jacobs is three years younger than Jones -- but there's just one problem: Jones is better.

Jacobs is coming off a disastrous season in which he accrued just 3.5 yards per carry and minus-0.4 yards per carry over expectation, per NFL Next Gen Stats. His total minus-86 rush yards over expectation was the sixth-worst mark by any running back in the league last year.

While part of that can be attributed to the Raiders' lack of a consistent passing threat, that's somewhat accounted for in the expectation metric. If defenders are loading the box, that lowers the expectation.

Jacobs was good in 2022 by any measure, including RYOE (plus-158 that year). But after last season it looks like that was the outlier year, not 2023. Jacobs has accrued negative rush yards over expectation in three of the last four seasons. Dating back to 2018, Jones has never recorded a negative RYOE season.

Jones has long been heralded for his receiving abilities, but Jacobs make an impact there, too. If I'm choosing one of these backs it is Jones, but in reality I'm picking neither. I would try to get Jones back on a cheaper deal and if that doesn't work, just go cheap.

The one saving grace here is that this is really a one-year deal with team options, as the guarantees are minimal. -- Seth Walder

3 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I mean, I'm not surprised.  He's coming off a down year, and he's the 6th highest paid RB.

Pretty terrible take only looking at Jacobs 2022 and 23 seasons he avg 4.9 yars earlier in his career also. His tame has sucked and he knew it that's why he held out last year they wanted to pay him nothing and run him into the ground. Now he gets a fresh start with a full camp with a young upcoming team. He'll be eager and ready to show. Even on that crappy raider team he ran his *** off. Bad Oline, bad QB play, different OC or coach every year. MLF will have fun with Jacobs and hopefully a speedy rookie to match with him.