Packers Signing RB Josh Jacobs

Just now, deltarich87 said:

Yeah I'm good with this

That's a good deal considering the low gtd. I am very surprised he didn't demand more guaranteed. $12M per is a ton for a RB but you seemingly can get out of it at any time.

Why the hell not?

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

i don't have an opinion on Jacobs the player, I've paid effectively zero attention to him as a pro. But whatever your take on the player is, a 4yr deal for a 26yr old w/ 25% of the total deal being guaranteed seems like it definitely has the flexibility to be a long-term solution. It just seemed like an odd criticism of that contract.

plus, we're just about guaranteed to acquire a rookie RB or two 

1st team All Pro two seasons ago and he's 26.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

this is true and it's why they signed him.  I would've gone bargain hunting for a better Dillon to pair with Jones rather than have a better dillon take most of Dillon and Jones' snaps.

If you had Jones and Jacobs both, it's not like Jones wouldn't be the better player.  And that's where I'm hung up I think.  Jacobs is the worse player and the more expensive one.  They made a lot of bad choices in the name of ring chasing with Aaron Rodgers and the Jones extensions were some of them.  Now they have pushed so much money into this  year that Jones is actually affordable to keep. 

I don't get why you don't just close it out with Jones and player X, using whatever extra you spent on Jacobs to get player X.  

Obviously FO thinks Jacobs is a major impact player.  I just don't see it -- veteran RBs are almost never worth it.

Decided to pull up his 2022 highlights. He ain't no plodder lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1s1LbPrL7r0

He showcases some fantastic cut-backs, which is exactly what you want on this offense. I already like him more than Saquan, but I also am notoriously low on him.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

That's a good deal considering the low gtd. I am very surprised he didn't demand more guaranteed. $12M per is a ton for a RB but you seemingly can get out of it at any time.

Why the hell not?

Yeah and with how cheap they are everywhere else on offense at WR/TE, not really a big deal giving a RB that much for this upcoming season

2 minutes ago, deltarich87 said:

Yeah I'm good with this

Something like this:

Year 1 2.3 base/roster/workout 12.5 signing, 3.125M prorated signing cap hit,  5.45M total cap hit

year 2  6M base/roster, 3.125M prorated,  9.125M cap hit,  9.375M dead cap to cut

year 3  10M base/roster, 3.125 prorated 13.125 cap hit, 6.25M dead cap to cut

year 4 17.2M base/roster, 3.125 prorated, 20.325 cap hit, 3.125 dead cap to cut

2 years, 15M  with 6M dead in year 3

OR
3 years 28M with 3M dead in year 4

That would be nice.

• Like 1

So Jacobs getting around $14.8 in year one, which includes the SB. Parse that out over 4 years and his 2024 cap hit should be around...$5.4m or in that area. 

This basically equates with the cap savings in 2024 for Jones...around $5m. 

Edited by packfanfb
  • Like 2

On some level, I get the argument for keeping Jones, but Jacobs isn't Dillon by a long shot.  I have to assume Jones being dinged the majority of 2023 was a major factor in how this played out.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

So Jacobs getting around $14.8 in year one, which includes the SB. Parse that out over 4 years and his 2024 cap hit should be around...$5.4m or in that area. 

This basically equates with the cap savings in 2024 for Jones...around $5m. 

we replace Jones w/ Jacobs in 2024 and get his rights thereafter for 3 more years until he reaches what is Jones' current age

easy to see how this was a pretty obvious decision from a purely on the field move

bummed we couldn't get Jones a ring here

#blameQAaron

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

they need a contributor on a rookie deal.  Next year we're looking at another "should we keep our aging/injured/mediocre RB" in all likelihood.  Which is fine the deal is amazingly flexible. 

I just don't like the player at all.  I think he's Dillon with a little more wiggle.

he lead nfl in 2022

• Like 2