Packers Signing RB Josh Jacobs

3 minutes ago, deathstar said:

They don’t even play the same position dude. Moss can run the ball. Jacobs can run/block/catch. It’s like comparing a puzzle to a Rubik’s cube.

it's like saying Dillon can run/block/catch.  He's like a small notch up in each department, except maybe block where I think they are the same but won't claim to know if Jacobs is something elite and I'm unaware.

Moss is a good player.  Jacobs is a good player who we paid like a star plus is coming off an injury.  It's a big swing/big risk I think.

Interesting choice by Gute.  I'm OK to trust their scouting judgement, they've earned that.  I'm not prioritized on long-run speed at RB.  Big plays are huge, but being productive on the majority of runs is vital.  Jones was quick and shifty enough to get around the outside, not strictly between-the-tackles stuff. I don't know Jacobs, I hope he can do both.  But I think it's kind crucial to have enough COD and stop-and-go to burst through inside, but also to be able to cut around the outsides too.  We'll see.  

Not a believer that the second RB needs to differ from the first.  Quick and shifty is essential for any and every back.  How whoever we draft has that capacity.  

Hopefully a change of scenery and scheme and having a QB will do Jacobs worlds of good.  Hope so.  

7 minutes ago, craig said:

Hopefully a change of scenery and scheme and having a QB will do Jacobs worlds of good.  Hope so.  

The difference between our offense and that of Las Vegas?

Night & day.

11 minutes ago, craig said:

Interesting choice by Gute.  I'm OK to trust their scouting judgement, they've earned that.  I'm not prioritized on long-run speed at RB.  Big plays are huge, but being productive on the majority of runs is vital.  Jones was quick and shifty enough to get around the outside, not strictly between-the-tackles stuff. I don't know Jacobs, I hope he can do both.  But I think it's kind crucial to have enough COD and stop-and-go to burst through inside, but also to be able to cut around the outsides too.  We'll see.  

Not a believer that the second RB needs to differ from the first.  Quick and shifty is essential for any and every back.  How whoever we draft has that capacity.  

Long speed doesn't create big plays at RB. 

Elite blocking and vision does. 

• Like 4

these are the tough decisions that a GM needs to make.  

Jones was having a tough time staying healthy, large cap hit and nearing 30 years old.  

Jacobs is a younger back, but now is the higher paid RB and has some high volume touches on his NFL ledger.

will be interesting to look back at 2 hypothetical options

• Jones + Moss (or similar level contract)
  • Jacobs at current contract
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, StatKing said:

The Love agenda is back on if we give him 5/250.

Get ready .. get set .. go.  Just look to the Vikings for a team with QB issues and maybe even the Bears and then get back to me.

8 hours ago, Kampfgeist said:

Would love to leave this draft with one of Benson, Wright, Brooks.  (in that order for me)

Really don't know much about available running backs in this years draft.  I don't think there's any doubt the Packers will be taking at least 1 in the top 4 rounds.  

16 hours ago, incognito_man said:

i don't have an opinion on Jacobs the player, I've paid effectively zero attention to him as a pro. But whatever your take on the player is, a 4yr deal for a 26yr old w/ 25% of the total deal being guaranteed seems like it definitely has the flexibility to be a long-term solution. It just seemed like an odd criticism of that contract.

plus, we're just about guaranteed to acquire a rookie RB or two 

Not that my opinion matter much, but....I thought he was cooked last year.  I watched a game or two and he was pretty bad.  Well.....he was poorly used is a better term.  

Then I watched another game and clearly the focus was to give him the ball until the defense stopped him.  And he ran the ball down the field twice for TD's.  

What I saw is a guy who needs carries and a plan.  Kind of like how we used Jones late in the season.

He runs with a lot of power.  Didn't make spectacular cuts, but he had enough wiggle to make defenders miss sizing him up....and then he would run through the arm tackle.  Not a burner.  But the speed is good enough.  The speed, vision, size combo works nicely for him.

But with what I saw?  If he's a 8-12 touch RB, he will underwhelm.  If he's getting 15-18+ game?  And we have an offensive plan for him?  I really like the fit.  He seems like he fits what MLF wants in his running game.

13 hours ago, coachbuns said:

This was such a nice topic .. doom slayer shows up and it's gone.

No.  It is not.

@StatKing is playing 3 D chess while you all are playing checkers.

He calls out Jordan Love for poor play....look what happens.  He doubles down and calls Love "QB purgatory", look what happens.

Let the man talk.  This is a good thing.   

• Like 1

Absolutely pissed we didn't give Jones the extra 1.5 million to stay. That tandem would have been lethal. I think Gute does a heck of a job as GM. He ****ed up on this one though. 

Having Jones would prolong Jacobs career too. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Leader said:

The difference between our offense and that of Las Vegas?

Night & day.

We all know there is something of the night, about Vegas.

As for Green Bay.....

The sun has got it's hat on
Hip Hip Hip Hooray !
The sun has got its hat on and its coming out to play.
It may be bloody freezing, every winters day
but, the sun has got its hat on and its coming out to play.

2 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Absolutely pissed we didn't give Jones the extra 1.5 million to stay. That tandem would have been lethal. I think Gute does a heck of a job as GM. He ****ed up on this one though. 

Having Jones would prolong Jacobs career too. 

There is a very good argument that says Gute didn't mess this up at all. Jones has been an excellent RB when healthy. He is 30 at the end of this season.

As a matter of interest, where did it say the Packers and Jones were $1.5m apart ?

• Like 2