Grading the Packers 2021 draft.....

Grading the Packers 2021 Draft Class  

21 members have voted

1. 1. What grade would you give the club?

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F
    • Incomplete
    • My mom, your mom, @Norms mom could have drafted better
    • F-. Everyone is a complete failure, no one is or ever was an NFL caliber player. They would have been farther ahead had they just forfeited picks. #FireGutes Oh....and he doesn't have a strong leg!

52 minutes ago, Zycho32 said:

Grade: C+. Decent rotational piece, has hung on. Closest thing we have to a nose, but that may change one way or another. He'd make it to 'B' if he had more impact when he plays.

Ive got a little beef over Myers but I done did that one throughout the year.

To grade Slaton as a "Decent rotational piece" is under selling him. He's not "the closest thing to a nose" he IS our nose. A starter against more run heavy teams. He's VERY good against the run, our best run defender for sure. Now he's never gonna be a sack guy, although I think he does decent shrinking a pocket. For a plug and draft slot he's an A.. but in a passing league i think you downgrade that grade a bit.

But yeah Slaton should be more celebrated he is, did the lords work under Barry.

Edited by HighCalebR

F-

Everyone is a complete failure, no one is or ever was an NFL caliber player. They would have been farther ahead if they had just forfeited all their picks. 

#FireGutes 

15 minutes ago, R T said:

F-

Everyone is a complete failure, no one is or ever was an NFL caliber player. They would have been farther ahead if they had just forfeited all their picks. 

#FireGutes 

My good man, that was such an excellent reply that I had to edit this poll and add it as an option!  I'm honestly upset at myself for not offering it as an option right away.  My apologies good sir.

47 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

We got:  Myers and Slaton as hits.  McDuffie as an ascending contributor.  Stokes and Newman as descending contributors.  Three late round misses.  And a bust.

We should end up paying Myers and Slaton second contracts.  And I think McDuffie will be able to have an Eric Wilson type career at the very least.  

The nice thing about the past two gradeable drafts is that outside of Love, no one should break the bank on the next contract.

Moving on from the Rodgers and Bakh contracts, while not doing any voided years stuff now really puts us in a nice position to reward our younger guys, should they continue to produce.

I don't know about you, but I'm certainly not feeling like Slaton or Myers are 100% locks to be re-signed.  Though I will say they are likely to be re-signed.  And they certainly should not be near elite money at the position.  Quality guys, but they shouldn't cost all that much to keep around.

3 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I don't know about you, but I'm certainly not feeling like Slaton or Myers are 100% locks to be re-signed.  Though I will say they are likely to be re-signed.  And they certainly should not be near elite money at the position.  Quality guys, but they shouldn't cost all that much to keep around.

Will be and should be are different things. 

I can't imagine Myers being a top of the market AAV center, which is 12-14 million.  But getting him for 6 million per would put him tied for 15th.  And to me, that is an easy fix.  I don't need a superstar center, I need a cromulent center.

In the same vein, Slaton at 5 million per would be ranked 36th for DTs, and like 2% of the cap. We have been clamoring for a running mate for Kenny Clark since when? And now we finally found one, who is young, and people don't want to pay him average money?

I am not suggesting paying either of them top dollar.  Give them good money and keep them here for three or four more seasons, while they are still good, and then let them go.   Part of churning the roster is keeping the good players.  And if someone offers them 15 million per year, shake their hand, thank them for their service, and collect your comp pick the next year.  

• Like 2

I am now actually kind of interested in seeing what the opinions are of the 2020 draft, now that they are all free agents.  Probably let this one die down a little.  So save (most) of those thoughts for later.  I do wonder what people think of guys like JRJ, DeGuara, and Garvin.  We got a lot of games out of them, and on some teams with pretty good records.  Take Love out of it and just give us whomever the next guy was, I want to know what the consensus of the rest of the class is/was.  I would guess that I am higher on it than most. 

A fun little tidbit that I just saw.  SJC has played in 28 games.  Jordan Love has played in 27.

57 minutes ago, Scoremore said:

meh  I'll give it a C-.  Not one of Gute's better efforts.  Stokes really brought the grade down.  Dillon just OK, Meyers OK, I do like Slayton.  McDuffie was a nice find in the 6th.  

Dillon was 2020 (the Love draft).

Hard one. Not a good draft. I'm not sure how other team's drafts look like from 2021, but gut feeling is this is a C- at best. Has a really outside chance to be more if Stokes does anything,McDuffie becomes an actual starter and Myers doesn't regress. I'm not 100% sold on any of those things. But this one is still too soon to call. We'll have a way better idea after this season. 

1.29.  Eric Stokes, CB., D+: Injury bust at this point but played well when he was on the field. There's hope so that's why it's a D+

2.62. Josh Myers, C, C+: I hated the pick because of the lack of athleticism, but he's not exactly a liability. We could stand to use an upgrade, but it's not urgent.

3.85.  Amari Rodgers, WR, F: We traded up for a guy coming off a torn ACL that looked really good at the Senior Bowl. I blame our former ST's coaching staff for his failure as a returner TBH. Kinda feel bad for the guy TBH.

4.142.  Royce Newman, G, D-: Logical pick given the body of work at Ole Miss that just hasn't worked out. He looks and plays like Chumlee from Pawn Stars...

5.173.  Tedarrell Slaton, DL., C: Rotational body that could be on the chopping block due to a new scheme.

5.178.  Shemar Jean-Charles, CB, D: Played well in spot duty and then got cut when a bunch of UDFA's leapfrogged him on the depth chart. Now on his third team in as many seasons.

6.214.  Cole Van Lanen, OL, C-: Spent a year here then got traded to Jax where he's the third string RT.

6.220.  Isaiah McDuffie, LB, A: He's worked hard to earn quality reps and has made the best of them despite some physical limitations. He just seems to continuously improve.

7.256.  Kylin Hill, RB, F: Violated some undisclosed team rule and never latched onto another team.

I'm giving the overall grade a C. You can't hit on every dude and if Stokes doesn't get hurt this grade is probably higher. I think the most disappointing part of this draft was really Day 3. Usually, we hit on at least 2 guys but only McDuffie is a sure-fire bet to survive the cuts this year.

Wasn't Stokes already struggling pretty badly in year 2 prior to the injury?  Calling him an injury bust is an over-simplification.  That pick is a C at best.

Meyers, Slayton, and McDuffie are fine, but are JAG level.  The rest are woof.

Overall: D+