Rashee Rice wanted in Dallas in connection to accident

warfelg

29 minutes ago, Soko said:

Not familiar with Texas law, but also googled: 

Qualifies as assault under 22.01 “recklessly causes bodily injury to another”. Upgraded to aggravated under 22.02 3b “is in a motor vehicle” and “is reckless as to whether the vehicle is occupied”. 

That’s not really how it works, though.

The section you’re referencing in 22.02(b)(3)(B) is a penalty enhancement that only applies to people discharging firearms from motor vehicles.

This incident is only an aggravated assault if he caused “serious bodily injury” or “uses or exhibits a deadly weapon.” I haven’t followed the story to know the full extent of the injuries, but a car (in this context, when it’s not intended to be used as a weapon) is typically not going to be considered a deadly weapon.

Assuming the injuries are just what was initially reported, aggravated assault feels like an overcharge to me. Tough to get prosecutors to not do that on these high visibility cases, though.

Edited by e16bball
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, e16bball said:

That’s not really how it works, though.

The section you’re referencing in 22.02(b)(3)(B) is a penalty enhancement that only applies to people discharging firearms from motor vehicles.

This incident is only an aggravated assault if he caused “serious bodily injury” or “uses or exhibits a deadly weapon.” I haven’t followed the story to know the full extent of the injuries, but a car (in this context, when it’s not intended to be used as a weapon) is typically not going to be considered a deadly weapon.

Assuming the injuries are just what was initially reported, aggravated assault feels like an overcharge to me. Tough to get prosecutors to not do that on these high visibility cases, though.

Ah yes, thanks for clarification. The website I was reading it off of + my own confusion made it unclear. 

I’m not sure what standard procedure is in Texas, but by definition, the vehicle could pretty easily be identified as a deadly weapon in this case. 

“Anything that in the manner of its use … is capable of causing serious bodily injury or death.”

No idea what speeds they were going at. But I think it’s not much of a leap to wager that speeding/racing sports cars can cause SBI/death in “the manner of their use”.

Edited by Soko

3 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

Odd batch of charges. Nothing for the marijuana, nothing for street racing. Aggravated assault seems like an odd choice, comparatively. Not what I expected, and I don't honestly know if that means it's harsher or more lenient.

It's harsher. 

They often charge the highest and the jury usually wittles it down to a lesser offense. 

Told ya before, I wasn't going to be surprised if he was toasted for this. 

14 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

It's harsher. 

They often charge the highest and the jury usually wittles it down to a lesser offense. 

Told ya before, I wasn't going to be surprised if he was toasted for this. 

He’s got no priors, that goes a long way here 

19 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

It's harsher. 

Grand jury probably already met.

Doubt this goes to trial, though.

15 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

How much are the Chiefs going to give Cincy for Tee? Rashee might be going to jail

There is no universe in which the Bengals would trade us Higgins. Same with the 49ers and Aiyuk. The Steelers didn't even want to give us Diontae Johnson for fear of helping the competition lol. No chance a team actually competing with us will.

Though yeah, Rice probably needs to serve time at this point.