2018 Packer DEFENSE Discussion

squire12

7 minutes ago, cannondale said:

Was Randall injured the last 2 games ?? Is that why he didn't play ??

https://www.google.com/amp/s/247sports.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/Bolt/Green-Bay-Packers-vs-Minnesota-Vikings-CB-Damarious-Randall-added-to-injury-report-with-knee-injury--112668087/Amp

with a knee. Don’t know how serious it was but if we don’t think they just rested guys to rest them... then MM is harping on availability.

What did everyone take from this comment? He later went on to explain the 4 aspects of how to improve the defense and money allocation was one. Has me thinking he's looking straight at that WR position, maybe both Cobb and Nelson are gone? This WR class is loading up, maybe a double dip there and a lower priced FA (could be Cobb/Nelson returning).

22 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Yeah, well, the more I complain the more people do it, so... It's 2018 and I'm turning over a new leaf. 

What is the preferrence? 

I miss read the situation always thought you preferred Dix.

hehehe. 

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

What did everyone take from this comment? He later went on to explain the 4 aspects of how to improve the defense and money allocation was one. Has me thinking he's looking straight at that WR position, maybe both Cobb and Nelson are gone? This WR class is loading up, maybe a double dip there and a lower priced FA (could be Cobb/Nelson returning).

Randall Cobb WR $8,600,000 $3,250,000 $468,750 - $400,000 - - ($3,250,000) $12,718,750 7.86
Jordy Nelson WR $9,250,000 $2,300,000 $468,750 - $500,000 - - ($2,300,000) $12,518,750 7.74
Davante Adams WR $1,000,000 $3,600,000 $5,437,500 - $500,000 - - ($25,960,000) $10,537,500 6.52

This can't be like this next year. Three WRs, two of which are not in the top 30 WRs in the NFL if we look at 2018 play, can not make up 22.12% of our cap. Something needs to happen. 

Clay Matthews OLB $10,400,000 - $468,750 - $500,000 - - - $11,368,750 7.03

No dead cap for Clay. Do something with this money. 

50 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

What did everyone take from this comment?

It was an interesting tidbit

Defense wins Championships....:)

AR can't/shouldn't carry the whole thing himself going forward. Teams with "older" QBs beef up the defense and running game to support their Title chase

Denver did it with Manning and NO is doing it with Brees too, adding Kamara and Lattimore to beef up the non-Brees Saints. AR isn't quite there yet in terms of age, but this next couple of years need to be about a more complete Packers football team

The other thing is that the Packers strategy on defense was to force turnovers, assuming AR would score like crazy and you'd often have the lead.

Perhaps that's changing too as Rodgers moves into the next chapter of his NFL career.

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

I didn't take anything from it. He simply gave a list, as he did with regard to other subjects or questions. Unless someone here is a mind reader, I don't think he really tipped his hand to anything specific that was to be done or how it was going to be done. The defense needs to play better. I don't think that's any type of news flash. There are 4 ways to accomplish it. He also said that the rookies the past 2 years haven't progressed as fast as previous years. 

30 minutes ago, cannondale said:

I didn't take anything from it. He simply gave a list, as he did with regard to other subjects or questions. Unless someone here is a mind reader, I don't think he really tipped his hand to anything specific that was to be done or how it was going to be done. The defense needs to play better. I don't think that's any type of news flash. There are 4 ways to accomplish it. He also said that the rookies the past 2 years haven't progressed as fast as previous years. 

He said the defene needs to play better than the offense. Different emphasis there. That suggests that this draft should again be defense- heavy, assuming the GM takes into account what MM wants. It might also mean a stronger commitment to veteran FAs. 

Me, I think the offense needs a shot in the arm - they have their RB injection, but they need a starting quality WR, and a starting quality TE, ie  two of the four picks in rounds 1-3. Deeper in the draft you also have to add at least one O lineman (which you should do every year).  If MM has a strong voice in the draft, the Packers might double dip at either OLB or CB in those 4 picks.

16 minutes ago, deltarich87 said:

14 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Lol, some people here will still try to pretend like they knew all along it was a bad idea. 

Hes been good at the Charges, still feel like some things sort of fell/fall his way. Not saying hes a bad player, but he has a knack for getting his hands on the ball. There are a lot of other corners I'd choose over him though. Does having Hayward save our 2017 season? No. 

For me its not that we didn't resign Hayward, its the ANDs. We didn't re-sign Hayward AND Hyde AND Peppers. With Shields going down, we lost too much talent and too much leadership too fast. 

Between Shields, Collins and Finley-- Its always what could've been. The guys above were our choices... that's what rough.

I loved Collins...

2 minutes ago, tredpack said:

Hes been good at the Charges, still feel like some things sort of fell/fall his way. Not saying hes a bad player, but he has a knack for getting his hands on the ball. There are a lot of other corners I'd choose over him though. Does having Hayward save our 2017 season? No. 

For me its not that we didn't resign Hayward, its the ANDs. We didn't re-sign Hayward AND Hyde AND Peppers. With Shields going down, we lost too much talent and too much leadership too fast. 

Between Shields, Collins and Finley-- Its always what could've been. The guys above were our choices... that's what rough.

I loved Collins...

Hayward's play especially this season went far beyond him simply having a knack of creating INTs. He was the highest rated corner in football many weeks and looked about as good against everyone he faced as anyone could ask for. 

3 minutes ago, Rodjahs12 said:

Hayward's play especially this season went far beyond him simply having a knack of creating INTs. He was the highest rated corner in football many weeks and looked about as good against everyone he faced as anyone could ask for. 

Yeah, I think last year was similar for him too. I get. Just don't think he's defense altering like a Norman, Talib, Revis, Smith is. 

Would love him still in Green Gold, just dont think its as big of a loss as all the numbers suggest. He's got an awfully good pass rush to help him out. 

2 hours ago, JBURGE25 said:
Randall Cobb WR $8,600,000 $3,250,000 $468,750 - $400,000 - - ($3,250,000) $12,718,750 7.86
Jordy Nelson WR $9,250,000 $2,300,000 $468,750 - $500,000 - - ($2,300,000) $12,518,750 7.74
Davante Adams WR $1,000,000 $3,600,000 $5,437,500 - $500,000 - - ($25,960,000) $10,537,500 6.52

This can't be like this next year. Three WRs, two of which are not in the top 30 WRs in the NFL if we look at 2018 play, can not make up 22.12% of our cap. Something needs to happen. 

Clay Matthews OLB $10,400,000 - $468,750 - $500,000 - - - $11,368,750 7.03

No dead cap for Clay. Do something with this money. 

This year is a waste for the Packer's WR corp. BH didn't do any good for the complimentry skill players.

Archived