Players That Left Your Team and Became Good Elsewhere

SteelKing728

10 hours ago, Trentwannabe said:

Stefon Gilmore always sticks out to me. He wasn't bad in Buffalo but was never living up to his draft position or number 1 lockdown corner tag.

Joins NE and everything changes for him. Glad he got his SB.

Wasn't that the case for Wes Welker in Miami too? He was nobody then he goes playing with Brady and becomes an allstar lol

21 hours ago, Trentwannabe said:

Stefon Gilmore always sticks out to me. He wasn't bad in Buffalo but was never living up to his draft position or number 1 lockdown corner tag.

Joins NE and everything changes for him. Glad he got his SB.

IIRC people thought the Patriots massively overpaid for Gilmore.  Count me in as one of those people who did not see him becoming as dominant as he did in the years that followed.

11 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

Wasn't that the case for Wes Welker in Miami too? He was nobody then he goes playing with Brady and becomes an allstar lol

He was electric in Miami and they wanted to keep him, New England employed the poison pill in his restricted FA contract negotiations to get him. 

• Like 2

Finally a topic where being a Jets fan doesn't bring immediate shame.

Thankfully, our lack of talent evaluation and player development has all but evaporated the chances of a player leaving us and being any good at all. 

The best player to fit this mold in recent memory is probably Johnathan vilma. He was pretty good with us but we changed defenses and he went to New Orleans and carved out a pro bowl career. Leonard williams was, briefly good with the Giants. Bryce Huff has a shot to be that guy in philly though.

Edited to add Demario Davis. He did well after leaving my.

Edited by drew39k

17 minutes ago, drew39k said:

Finally a topic where being a Jets fan doesn't bring immediate shame.

Thankfully, our lack of talent evaluation and player development has all but evaporated the chances of a player leaving us and being any good at all. 

The best player to fit this mold in recent memory is probably Johnathan vilma. He was pretty good with us but we changed defenses and he went to New Orleans and carved out a pro bowl career. Leonard williams was, briefly good with the Giants. Bryce Huff has a shot to be that guy in philly though.

Edited to add Demario Davis. He did well after leaving my.

Brett Favre actually would fit, for the Jets.  John Abraham a little, but he was pretty great in NY before Atl, but he does have the majority of his sacks in Atl.  James Farrior for sure. Lamont Jordan had his only notable year the year after leaving the Jets.  Santana Moss and John Riggins were both more productive in Washington.  Terance Mathis and Rob Moore.  Hugh Douglas.  Lorenzo Neal was a mercenary, but his career really took off, after he left NY.   '24 Sam Darnold. 

On 4/15/2024 at 10:34 AM, SalvadorsDeli said:

James Harrison never played NFL snaps for us but he was in camp with the Ravens and got cut before going to the Steelers and my god I can't even imagine what a defense with him, Suggs, Ray, and Ed Reed could have done together if he had caught on with us. 

He wasn't good when on the Ravens but roided up with the Steelers and Richard Rydze's program. Barry Bonds head.

On 4/12/2024 at 11:24 AM, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

For the Ravens:

1. Zach Seiler
  2. Matthew Judon (was like good here but got even better in NE)
  3. Darren Waller
  4. Breshad Perriman (was awful here and become below average in TB)
  5. Darious Williams

There could be more but I think I hit the major players recently.

Ryan Jensen was a really good C for the Bucs, but was a backup for the Ravens until the final year of his rookie contract when he started.

Zadarius Smith is another Raven that got away, but like Judon, the Ravens are comfortable developing their edges slowly and letting them walk.

• Like 1

On 4/17/2024 at 5:35 AM, ET80 said:

Brandon Brooks was serviceable in Houston, but turned into an elite G with Philadelphia. The narrative in Philly is that he had his anxiety issues actually managed through mental health experts; I don't know if that was afforded in the Bill O'Brien era.

Thought he was a PFF darling in Texas?

52 minutes ago, redsoxsuck05 said:

Thought he was a PFF darling in Texas?

He ran hot and cold, some games he'd look dominant and some games he'd look to be the worst player on the field...

• Like 1

On 4/19/2024 at 9:05 PM, AkronsWitness said:

Shaq Barrett. He did well behind Von/Ware but I dont think any fan ever saw him turning into the monster he became in Tampa.

I was feeling good because I couldn't think of anyone of the top of my head but then I read this and got sad. 

Jameis Wins..nope

Kwon Alexand..nope

I really can't think of any for the Bucs. LeGerrete Blount and Talib were already good w Bucs but got more recognition when they got to better teams. 

Edited by indifference

6 minutes ago, indifference said:

Jameis Wins..nope

Kwon Alexand..nope

I really can't think of any for the Bucs. LeGerrete Blount and Talib were already good w Bucs but got more recognition when they got to better teams. 

Steve Young?