The Official 2024 Raider Draft Day Thread

Just now, 101Raider said:

Man, this was a pretty dang good draft. I’m genuinely pleased, can’t say I remember saying that about a Raider’s draft pretty much ever lol.

Same. I think the FO reached on only one player. I am not used to that.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Geezy said:

Good value throughout the draft maybe except Glaze, but had to make a move before all the Ts were gone

I think he’s going to be our utility OL. Play 4 positions for us as a backup. It makes sense.

I think a lot of our day 3 picks have potential to impact our STs. The 4th round CB is probably going to be a gunner on ST right away. Overall, I’m pretty happy with this draft. I was hoping for Brenden Rice when he was still available so late in the draft. But such is life.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Justwinning said:

Has he had the likes of Brock Bowers and Michael Mayer at TE on his teams? No, he had Kemet (who’s decent) and Big Bob Tonyan. Not exactly working with the cream of the crop there.

Agreed. In 2022 CHI had Ryan Griffin and Trey Wesco for TE2 and 3. No one is getting production out of them. Then last year Tonyan had 11 receptions and old man Lewis is a skinny OT who runs the occasional route, getting 4 receptions. 

Kmet is a good TE but Tonyan was poor and dropped a 70ish yard TD pass that was an absolute dot. I'm guessing there was a reason Fields didn't look his way too often. Having Meyer and Bowers is completely different. There is a good chance that the 11 and 12 personnel could be blended together, using one as an inline and the other as a flex that can be on the line or move to the slot based on defensive personnel. 

Now I'm far from a fan of Getsy by any means, but just by default they should get a lot of reps each. One will basically be a rocked up WR IMO.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Styrian Raider said:

How can anyone prove events that may or may Not occur in the future?

You can't. That is why you look at historical data. And in the meantime, you don't pretend that someone with a negative opinion based on said data is merely mindlessly whining. 

We literally just went through these exact same issues and arguments with McDaniels and Zeigler where people stuck their sword firmly in the hill of what they "felt" "would" happen, jumping the bones of anyone who dare point out trends, issues, shortcomings, etc. 

The minute you don't 100% agree lock, stock, and barrel with whatever the copiate crowd thinks or feels, you're accused of ranting, raving, being a Negative Nancy, fake fan, etc. 

I've said before countless times now, if Getsy and Telesco  prove me wrong, great. That's their job and they can succeed or fail. Until then, they're the backup OC we hired when Kliff left us at the altar and the GM we virtually all laughed at when we had a historical day against the Chargers and he was fired after years of underachieving. 

If someone wants to buy into them hook, line, and sinker- be my guest. In the meantime, don't castigate people who are skeptical. With regard to our entire setup- from Telesco's past to Getsy's past to retaining AP to rolling with a few key spots filled by guys who are probably beter backup types than starters, there's way more reason to be skeptical than the feelings evoked for these guys just because they now collect a check from Mark Davis. 

• Like 1

After the draft we still have major holes to fill.  We need a QB, RT, CB1, those are the glaring needs.  

QB will hopefully be addressed in next years draft but I must say the staches will limit what this team can achieve.  

I was optimistic this regime would make CB1 a priority as I felt that if we had a lockdown #1 this D could make a nice jump.  We still have our CB's playing out of place as Jones is a CB2 playing in the CB1 position.  

RT is still a need but there are some intriguing FA players left (Beckton) that could provide value on a 1 year prove it deal. 

I would have liked to move Adams to get younger at WR as I don't feel he provides much value in terms of W/L considering who's throwing to him and his declining value due to age. 

Bowers appears to be a stud prospect but now the pressure is on our staff to get elite production out of him.  I'm not quite sure what this means for last years 2nd rounder (Mayer) but it appears he will now be an afterthought.

JPJ is a beast and should be a starter for many years.  

Outside of that I hope the rest of the players drafted can provide quality depth with another starter sprinkled in there. 

We now have a clear idea of what Telesco's M.O. is when it comes to draft day.  Stay put and go BPA...  After 20+ years of reaches and terrible value it's hard to hate the first two picks though one can argue TE was a luxury pick and not a need.  If Bowers produces like Kelce all will be forgotten but now the pressure is on the staff to get the most out of our shiny new weapon.

3 minutes ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

After the draft we still have major holes to fill.  We need a QB, RT, CB1, those are the glaring needs.  

QB will hopefully be addressed in next years draft but I must say the staches will limit what this team can achieve.  

I was optimistic this regime would make CB1 a priority as I felt that if we had a lockdown #1 this D could make a nice jump.  We still have our CB's playing out of place as Jones is a CB2 playing in the CB1 position.  

RT is still a need but there are some intriguing FA players left (Beckton) that could provide value on a 1 year prove it deal. 

I would have liked to move Adams to get younger at WR as I don't feel he provides much value in terms of W/L considering who's throwing to him and his declining value due to age. 

Bowers appears to be a stud prospect but now the pressure is on our staff to get elite production out of him.  I'm not quite sure what this means for last years 2nd rounder (Mayer) but it appears he will now be an afterthought.

Outside of that I hope the rest of the players drafted can provide quality depth with another starter sprinkled in there. 

We now have a clear idea of what Telesco's M.O. is when it comes to draft day.  Stay put and go BPA...  After 20+ years of reaches and terrible value it's hard to hate the first two picks though one can argue TE was a luxury pick and not a need.  If Bowers produces like Kelce all will be forgotten but now the pressure is on the staff to get the most out of our shiny new weapon.

Agree with you about Bowers.

As for CB1 and RT, yea I would have liked for it to have been addressed earlier but at the very minimum, they have a young guy that can potentially step up in Thayer Munford and Jack Jones. I have faith that Munford can be solid and there’s still guys like Xavien Howard and Adoree Jackson available to be a short term CB1.

Edited by Justwinning
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

Hard to disagree for the most part. QB going unaddressed was the way it fell without jeopardizing the future, which I personally didn't want to see a major trade up. But that leaves us where we are with Minshew and AOC which is uninspiring for long-term goals. 

Adding Bowers and JPJ were slam dunks and add a ton to the offense. We are at a point that there are no other glaring spots on offense except RT as you mentioned. With the supporting cast we can make playoffs with Minshew playing average or AOC taking the next step. Not impossible but Vegas has us at 7 wins, so that should tell you something.

CB I am not as concerned as others, I think Jack Jones can be a good CB1 with Hobbs at 2, but the depth is too unproven for me. I feel good about the other areas and an elite d-line cures a lot of sins on the back end.

All said, we still have work to do to be real contenders.

• Like 1