1.10 - JJ McCarthy, QB, Michigan - #9

Imagine if McCarthy was in Jayden Daniels or Michael Penix's situation - Both in much pass happier offenses with ELITE WR targets. 

McCarthy would have thrown for 5k yards and 40TDs if he was in that situation (and if that's what he was asked to do).

Love Love Love how well McCarthy takes care of the football, love his athleticism and love his arm talent. 

• Like 1

There is much excitement about McCarthy and Turner.  I hope we as fans remember, as gifted as these two players are, they are still 21 year old kids.  They are still developing into adults. Their brains are still the brains of adolescent boys.  Let's be patient with them and all the youngsters who will be playing football for the Vikings this season and in the future. Let's temper our immediate expectations while being hopeful and excited for their growth.

Fellow Michigan alum and new Vikings teammate Josh Metellus has no doubt McCarthy is ready for the next level. Metellus noted the professionalism expected by former Michigan Head Coach Jim Harbaugh, as well as the pro-style offense the Wolverines ran and big-time moments they've encountered over the past three seasons.

Metellus: "People talk about 'sample size,' but playing at a program like Michigan and being in the College Football Playoff every year he was their starting quarterback, those weighty football games, that's how you build up your football hours. It's not just because you played 50 games in college. Those 50 games could have been insignificant. It's, what type of games did you play in? What type of role did you play in those games? I think that's a big part of him. I know he was in NFL-type situations at Michigan because I was there, and I know it's going to translate very well for him."

https://www.vikings.com/news/jj-mccarthy-minnesota-connects-justin-jefferson

• Like 2

Smart money said O’Connell’s first choice was Maye, but McCarthy wasn’t believed to be far behind. Missing on McCarthy, with Penix already off the board at 8, would have left the Vikings in position to be criticized and second-guessing themselves for not being more aggressive in moving up the draft board.

O’Connell, who was part of a contingent from the Vikings that conducted private workouts with all of the top QBs except for Williams, acknowledged there were some anxious moments as the process played out.

O’Connell: “We knew we weren’t the only ones that had identified JJ as a quarterback that we wanted to select. So, in those moments you start thinking about kind of the what if? If we’re not able to get this thing done, making that one pick jump. Once we were able to do that and agree to that deal [with NYJ] and I knew we were going to be selecting J.J., it was just pure excitement.”

https://vikingswire.usatoday.com/2024/04/26/zulgad-suspense-turns-to-celebration-after-vikings-land-j-j-mccarthy/?utm_campaign=trueanthem&utm_medium=trueanthem&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwZXh0bgNhZW0CMTEAAR2MDrCM5S1CFbpOERW4rlFV2hK8fOGOYoqLtYMFC6zbXF6wZ7DY8gfCvv4_aem_ARgo3Q6yYv7vDUcocOjwSDCf5Yly51YIZv5mVV_ngM_RE2TcSr5y6eLVz_P85-_dkGGnL-uDFiKxPpllD_YEs0Tb

• Like 1

Pat McAfee@PatMcAfeeShow

Bill Belichick, on McCarthy: "He's got a quick release and he sees coverages very well. He can play under center and out of the shotgun. He has good ball security and he doesn't turn the ball over."

Bill doesn't pull punches over the fear of losing clicks. Bill knows.

Edited by vike daddy
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

Pat McAfee@PatMcAfeeShow

Bill Belichick, on McCarthy: "He's got a quick release and he sees coverages very well. He can play under center and out of the shotgun. He has good ball security and he doesn't turn the ball over."

Bill doesn't pull punches over the fear of losing clicks. Bill knows.

Very true, and honestly the Vikings clearly liked his ability to play under center and not in the shotgun like say Michael Penix Jr.  Also the left handedness of Penix Jr I am sure they did not love either with already having a LT in Darrisaw who could become a great player.  Plus the fact he is not a RPO QB like a lot of them are as well, sure they loved that also since McCarthy can move as a QB but he is not really a running QB like say Daniels or Maye can be in certain systems.  

But it is not like he has never thrown an INT in college or something, so he has turned the football over, has thrown 11 INTs in three years which of course is not bad, has fumbled 12 times but they only lost one of those fumbles in three years also.  Has a crazy small sample size of throws so if he threw 400+ more attempts in the past two years like Michael Penix Jr did, I am sure that INT number would be higher.  

Mentally and personality wise is where McCarthy is super elite and will be fun to watch a QB who could be far more connected to his teammates and he is absolutely elite with his "emotional intelligence" that is for sure.  Curious if Bill was still in New England if they would have taken McCarthy over Drake Maye, that I kind of doubt honestly since Maye has more arm talent and upside.

Hopefully Darnold is good enough where it can give McCarthy some much needed time to sit and learn a bit.  The talk of McCarthy starting all season and competing with Caleb Williams for rookie of the year, I do not buy that.  

• Like 4

Mel Kiper: “All along, McCarthy was linked to the Vikings. And all along, we thought they might have to give up their other first-round pick — No. 23 — to get him. Instead, though, they patiently waited. They traded up one spot with the Jets, got their guy and kept the No. 23 pick. That’s a huge win. McCarthy, who finished No. 15 in my rankings, is going to a great spot. Coach Kevin O’Connell and the Vikings will put him in position to succeed. Plus, he’s going to be throwing passes to Justin Jefferson, Jordan Addison and T.J. Hockenson. This is a great fit for a young signal-caller.”

https://vikingsterritory.com/2024/news/top_news/vikings-draft-win?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

Edited by vike daddy

On 4/25/2024 at 9:00 PM, vike daddy said:

what will be the difference in salary for us to pay McCarthy being chosen at 10 instead of... let's say, 5?

On 4/26/2024 at 8:05 AM, SteelKing728 said:

Nice.

This was the first source I found. It is a difference of about ~$11.3M if he was drafted at 5.

https://www.sportico.com/leagues/football/2024/nfl-draft-2024-rookie-contracts-signing-bonuses-1234776938/

Another source has it right at that $11M mark using spotrac and OTC estimates.

Spotrac $11.01M
OTC $11.31M

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/nfl/2024/04/25/nfl-draft-picks-paid-salary-contract-rookie-round-1-wage-scale-slot-value/73384189007/

All hail the rookie-wage scale!

• Like 3

• SemperFeist changed the title to 1.10 - JJ McCarthy, QB, Michigan - #9