NFL approves Guardian Caps for in game use

BullsandBroncos

Had a kid wear one in practice back in 2014. Weird that 10 years later there still isn’t much data to support or refute them. IMO it makes sense to use them in practice, especially on the OL/DL and not worry about them in games, but whatever.

• Like 1

Can any of you that are upset about this explain what is wrong with it? 

I genuinely do not understand the discontent here. 

This is an optional safety device, available to the players that won't impact on field play in any way except that less players will likely get injured. This isn't a hip drop tackle ban situation.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, drew39k said:

Can any of you that are upset about this explain what is wrong with it? 

I genuinely do not understand the discontent here. 

I'm all about head safety but when so much of DB technique relies on quickly pivoting your head around, this looks like it would make sideline coverage and specifically high pointing the ball really difficult.

Even as someone who is for player safety, when the bulk of subconcussive hits occur during pee-wee/HS ball practices, this type of focus feels more like the NFL wanting other people to know they care about concussions rather than reducing the amount of exposure to football-related brain trauma.

1 hour ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I'm all about head safety but when so much of DB technique relies on quickly pivoting your head around, this looks like it would make sideline coverage and specifically high pointing the ball really difficult.

Yeah but a DB could just... choose not to use it?

It's optional

2 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Sure, but not wearing it doesn't solve that problem in the helmet design.

so its an optional device that may be better suited for positions where that's not an issue for, like linemen. still don't really see the problem.