3.91 - Ty'Ron Hopper [LB ; Mizzou]

4 hours ago, craig said:

Gute's presser, what he liked was that he "stops people".  I certainly took that to read that he's a tackle-maker, not a tackle-misser.  Weird.  

I like the NBA.  One of the things that galls me is when a team drafts guy to be a 3-pt sniper; then he ends up being not good at the job he was drafted for.  Hope Hopper doesn't play as a guy drafted to be a tackle-maker who ends up not being good at that function.  

He can kill dudes and stop them cold. Needs to wrap up better.

Can fix the fundamentals easier than the mentality.

5 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

I don't think anyone is worried if LB4 doesn't become anything other than a ST.

Just to be contrarian, I don't imagine you spend a 3rd-round pick without aspiring for more than a ST body.  So yeah, I think Gute, mlf, and fans will be justifiably disappointed if he never becomes more than a ST.  Star, of course not.  But you'd like to aspire to being a solid rotation guy who becomes better than LB4 in due time, even if not as rookie.  

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, craig said:

Just to be contrarian, I don't imagine you spend a 3rd-round pick without aspiring for more than a ST body.  So yeah, I think Gute, mlf, and fans will be justifiably disappointed if he never becomes more than a ST.  Star, of course not.  But you'd like to aspire to being a solid rotation guy who becomes better than LB4 in due time, even if not as rookie.  

And we'll be the same caliber of team whether he does or doesn't. No one on here is concerned about Hopper, he'll play his 4 years here, going to be valuable on teams, if he ever becomes anything more than that we'll see. Will be a testament to the new LB coach if he does.

16 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

And we'll be the same caliber of team whether he does or doesn't. No one on here is concerned about Hopper, he'll play his 4 years here, going to be valuable on teams, if he ever becomes anything more than that we'll see. Will be a testament to the new LB coach if he does.

Gotta say, coming from you, this take surprises me to the point that I'm legit wondering if you just forgot the Green font. 

If Gute just drafted Dallen Leavitt's replacement with pick 91, I would think it wouldn't be remotely controversial that it was a questionable pick. 

6 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Gotta say, coming from you, this take surprises me to the point that I'm legit wondering if you just forgot the Green font. 

If Gute just drafted Dallen Leavitt's replacement with pick 91, I would think it wouldn't be remotely controversial that it was a questionable pick. 

No this is just an overly dramatic response. How bad did the selections of Dillon and Deguara hurt the Packers? 3-4 players from this class will earn 2nd contracts with the team, and if that happens this class will be a resounding success. I am extremely high on Cooper and Quay and I personally will take Duff any day of the week over Hopper. Not a lot of defensive snaps for LB4, that's fine. If he helps our ST for 4 years we'll be a better team because of it. 

Obviously most late 3rd-rounders don't become franchise changers, we all get that, especially Packer 3rd rounders.  Rouse, Amari, Deguara, Sternberger, Burks, Adams, most likely Hopper will be little more impactful than those guys, we all get that.  So you've got good odds that you'll be right in dismissing interest.  But seems kind of silly on a Packer board obsessed with draft and new players to act like its dumb and mockable to take interest in, have hopes for, and spend time discussing players taken after pick 90.  

10 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

No this is just an overly dramatic response. How bad did the selections of Dillon and Deguara hurt the Packers? 3-4 players from this class will earn 2nd contracts with the team, and if that happens this class will be a resounding success. I am extremely high on Cooper and Quay and I personally will take Duff any day of the week over Hopper. Not a lot of defensive snaps for LB4, that's fine. If he helps our ST for 4 years we'll be a better team because of it. 

You find ST players on Days 3, 4 and 5, not day 2. That's the main point here. You're quietly sh*tting on the pick while trying to justify it at the same time. 

• Like 1

So you pick Cooper in the 2nd round because most of the time you have 2 LBs on the field and you want someone to play next to Quay.  But some of the time you are going to want to play 3 linebackers (like on obvious run downs) so I don't think drafting a guy to do that is necessarily a poor use of a 3rd round pick.  Maybe McDuffie beats him out, but, he's a free agent after this year and I'm not sure that's the player you want to commit a lot of money to.

We're used to thinking that stack LBs are less valuable since we never wanted to play 3 of them at once.

8 hours ago, packfanfb said:

You find ST players on Days 3, 4 and 5, not day 2. That's the main point here. You're quietly sh*tting on the pick while trying to justify it at the same time. 

I've made no attempts to justify the pick, just have no angst over the outcome . There were minimal snaps available/needs for this team going in, and outside of the top 80 or so players this was a very weak depth draft, so Gute went and filled what he deemed important depth roles in rounds 3-5. Unless Hopper is a star, this pick won't really move the needle much for the Packers over the next 4 years.