3.91 - Ty'Ron Hopper [LB ; Mizzou]

3 hours ago, HighCalebR said:

Yeah, tf @ThatJerkDave

Watch the highlights.  He is fast, and he is pretty good in coverage.  Our ILB group is really, really fast now.  Probably hasn't been this fast since the days of Hawk and Barnett.  Do I think that it is a little early? Yes.  He will be behind Quay and Cooper for sure to start camp.  And if those two work out, he may be Eric Wilson.  Do you really hate the idea of a cheaper and younger Eric Wilson under team control for four seasons?  My guess is that he is an immediate stalwart for special teams, and if he is called upon to play from scrimmage, he will be just fine.  The team obviously thought Hopper was better than Gray or Wilson at ILB.

I am not sure exactly what the board looked like at the time.  I know I wanted Zinter, and if he wasn't there a lot of people wanted Puni.  Turns out neither of them were still there. I believe Haynes also went right before our selections.  I actually don't like how the board fell for the third round for us.  The value probably was a WR, but we are at a very healthy WR room, and any additions are probably very diminished returns.  So we went with a RB and a LB that we would be fine with a little later.  But I think that would have been the feeling about no matter who we selected at that point.

• Like 4

Not gonna IGWT on this one. For me, it's by far the strangest and most out of place pick in 2-3 years by Gutey. For one the pick makes no sense after you already took Cooper. Regardless even of the player, there's no positional value there for a top 100 pick. 

In essence, we just used a top 91 pick on a guy who's competing for OBLB No. 4 on the team and a ST role. I probably wouldn't have liked this pick, or any pick for another OBLB, before round 5-6. 

Love our first 4 picks. This one left me completely puzzled. 

Edited by packfanfb

1 hour ago, packfanfb said:

Not gonna IGWT on this one. For me, it's by far the strangest and most out of place pick in 2-3 years by Gutey. For one the pick makes no sense after you already took Cooper. Regardless even of the player, there's no positional value there for a top 100 pick. 

In essence, we just used a top 91 pick on a guy who's competing for OBLB No. 4 on the team and a ST role. I probably wouldn't have liked this pick, or any pick for another OBLB, before round 5-6. 

Love our first 4 picks. This one left me completely puzzled. 

At some point we were going to give Hafley and Campanile the ability to get the types they wanted.

Packers desperately needed more depth and speed at linebacker, and this was clearly a guy they targeted during the process given the Top 30 visit.

LaFleur did the same thing with Deguara as a bit of a head scratching 3rd rounder at pick 94 in 2020. It didn’t work out.

I'm willing to wait and see. Mizzou fans seemed to love the kid.

Edited by wisportsfan4
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, PossibleCabbage said:

They were apparently all over this kid well before the draft.  I wonder if this was a Scout's pick, like "I really believe in the kid." 

Yeah, the GB scouts obviously see something GB in this kid.  Just have to hope they are right.  I had no idea who this was when the pick was made.

9 hours ago, MuFF said:

LB, S, RB, LB with top 90 picks. Not the way to build a team. You can find these positions in day 3 or FA. 

You can always drop your alternative picks in the "smarter than Gute" thread and see how things play out.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, wgbeethree said:

Ruins my 10 yard split theory after 14 in a row but I've learned well from goalpost and I'll just put an asterisk next to it, change the goalposts to top two rounds, and shout twice as loud about how I'm still right.

I see the vision. I don't like it. I don't think it will come to fruition, but I see the vision.

ILBs are going to get hurt. McDuffie played 500+ snaps last year. As ILBs get smaller to cover, and OL get bigger, injuries are inevitable and failing to prepare for that is dereliction of duty. 

I don't think replacing McDuffie was such a high powered need that picking the replacement for McDuffie 3 rounds earlier than the original was good value. 

However, you can't say you want a faster, more aggressive defense and then swear jihad when the GM goes and does just that. 

+++

For better or worse, his biggest weakness from my eye seems to be mental and that scares the **** out of me. 

Zone coverage awareness is EVERYTHING for being an ILB in the NFL. It seems like 80% of pass plays now have a TE or Slot receiver running a route that equates to "get behind the LB and run across the middle of the field until you're open". 

If ILBs aren't looking for that, they're not playable. 

When he sees it, he's damn good at moving with guys. He saw a couple wheel routes that he absolutely smothered, and he gets out there in a hurry when dealing with the scat protection routes. 

In run D it's a similar picture. When he sees it, he hits it and he's got the closing speed to get there. 

He just sometimes gets lost in traffic and doesn't have the greatest feel for flow. I know it's a cliche at this point, but if you can keep him clean, he's going to be a player. You're just going to have to keep him clean because he doesn't have the instincts to set up the guys coming to kill him and his disengagement moves aren't elite. 

+++

I can see why a GM might like Hopper. He's got tools, he needs polish. His best football is ahead of him. But he's also pretty much guaranteed to be a ST staple from the beginning. 

Also, as a big Wheel of Time fan, I can't not cheer for Hopper.

• Like 5

I'm pretty much with you. The cries of "ST in the 3rd round" are silly. Obviously they hope he becomes the #3 LB, or if he doesn't, makes the room competitive. The upside is he will also be able to immediately play ST doesn't mean that's his only role, just his most likely one for 2024. ]

I see the ability to be a good LB if he puts it all together consistently and that's worth a pick at this point given the desperate state of that position room going into the draft. Im no sure there isn't room to add another body there yet today. 

• Like 1

Way better prospect for this defense than Gray or Trotter. Less pro-ready to start but he won't need to. 

Thin draft at the position and they clearly wanted at least two, so I'm not shocked they moved early. 

We still might grab one more LB in round 7 for depth depending on who's there, since it seems we're planning on rostering 6. That'll give competition to Wilson and Welch's spots. But I feel great about the position right now. 

4 hours ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

I would have liked Trotter as the second ILB drafted, but wish Hopper all the best in Green Bay.

I don't think Trotter was very high on our board given his physical limitations.