Early predictions: Who is QB1 come week one?

Who wins the starting QB Job?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins the starting QB Job?

2 hours ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

He really was that’s so crazy.

Everyone was just memorized by Stroud. O’Connell was definitely #2 of all rookie QBs

The question is how much potential does AOC12 have to get better. According to AP presser he’s been in the training facility a lot working on his body 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bucksavage1 said:

Everyone was just memorized by Stroud. O’Connell was definitely #2 of all rookie QBs

The question is how much potential does AOC12 have to get better. According to AP presser he’s been in the training facility a lot working on his body 

On one hand, it's great he was #2. On the other, it was an incredibly low bar. 

So it really does come down to the question you pose. 

Let's just look at the rookie class from last year taken before him. 

Stroud is clearly #1 and looks primed to be one of the league's best for a while. 

Richardson is totally TBD. That said, I think his playmaking ability surpasses O'Connell's. If he refines his passing, he's definitely ahead of him. 

Young sucks. His best trait is being the size of a High School freshman and drawing BS roughing calls. AOC by a mile, imo. 

Levis is intriguing. I think he's more like Richardson in terms of playmaking ability AOC simply doesn't have. 

Hooker was redshirted. 

Haener is like QB4. 

Bennett probably never comes back. 

For AOC, I think his overall ability has to greatly improve to keep pace. He's never going to be the mobile threat that Richardson or Levis are. But he can certainly become at least functional at it. 

But to make up for it, his passing will really need to take a big step forward. I don't see him catching Stroud, but I can see him ahead of Richardson and Levis now and in the future as a passer. 

I definitely think the potential is there in plenty of quantity. Arm talent and decision making were already pretty decent for a rookie, especially one with few reps. Those should improve from an already pretty high floor. If he can become even functionally mobile, I think he could stick around as a starter for a long while, possibly even near the top of the AFC. 

If we presume that the hard work ultimately pays the dividends hoped for, I like his chances. As far as the potential, I think it's definitely there. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

On one hand, it's great he was #2. On the other, it was an incredibly low bar. 

So it really does come down to the question you pose. 

Let's just look at the rookie class from last year taken before him. 

Stroud is clearly #1 and looks primed to be one of the league's best for a while. 

Richardson is totally TBD. That said, I think his playmaking ability surpasses O'Connell's. If he refines his passing, he's definitely ahead of him. 

Young sucks. His best trait is being the size of a High School freshman and drawing BS roughing calls. AOC by a mile, imo. 

Levis is intriguing. I think he's more like Richardson in terms of playmaking ability AOC simply doesn't have. 

Hooker was redshirted. 

Haener is like QB4. 

Bennett probably never comes back. 

For AOC, I think his overall ability has to greatly improve to keep pace. He's never going to be the mobile threat that Richardson or Levis are. But he can certainly become at least functional at it. 

But to make up for it, his passing will really need to take a big step forward. I don't see him catching Stroud, but I can see him ahead of Richardson and Levis now and in the future as a passer. 

I definitely think the potential is there in plenty of quantity. Arm talent and decision making were already pretty decent for a rookie, especially one with few reps. Those should improve from an already pretty high floor. If he can become even functionally mobile, I think he could stick around as a starter for a long while, possibly even near the top of the AFC. 

If we presume that the hard work ultimately pays the dividends hoped for, I like his chances. As far as the potential, I think it's definitely there. 

Good post, I think you’re right. O’Connell can improve his mobility a little for sure but ultimately, his success or failure will come down to his passing from the pocket.

If he’s not able to extend plays very well or escape the pass rush and offer a running threat then he has to be better than the others at pure passing. I think it’s doable as he had some decent moments as a rookie.

I think he could become a really solid game manager type but his ceiling is limited. He certainly has been given the weapons and platform by the team so it’s in his hands now.

On 5/14/2024 at 2:50 PM, NYRaider said:

FWIW Q (Raiders radio host that's at all OTAs etc) said that he'd be shocked if AOC isn't starting this season.

I read somewhere that the Raiders were thinking with a full off-season and training camp. He could take a big step forward.

• Like 1

I think Minshew is the security net behind AOC.

If AOC can make a big step in the right direction, then he is the starter. If he flops we have Minshew, who can operate and be watchable with a good D...

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Wrote in this thread a couple months ago that it would be Minshew job. today I back track and think it’s AOC job. Minshew is better off coming in if things go bad in that back up QB role. Has experience with it and has excelled in that role. 

• Like 1

On 7/15/2024 at 11:19 AM, RaidersAreOne said:

Still sticking with AOC.

Starting to feel like this will be the case. I just don't know what the upside is in the absence of mobility. Granted I think the OL/weapons will be better than last year.

• Like 1

We know what Minshew is, a great backup QB and low end starter, but technically we still don’t know what AOC is ultimately. Likely he’s in the same tier as Minshew but it’s worth finding out first. Let the kid cook.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Justwinning said:

We know what Minshew is, a great backup QB and low end starter, but technically we still don’t know what AOC is ultimately. Likely he’s in the same tier as Minshew but it’s worth finding out first. Let the kid cook.

I believe that’s the plan. Minshew gets a nice backup salary and the team sees what level AOC can get

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Any changes of opinion after game 1?

Not for me. Still AOC as the presumptive starter. Appeared to me that he has improved his footwork a touch. One nice instance of him climbing the pocket and then hitting Jakobi as his 2nd read.

He looked in control and managed to move the ball down the field pretty easily.

The sack was partly on him holding into the ball too long, but Peat was destroyed and 2 of his receivers went to the exact same spot (a criticism on Getsy as per spacing routes well).

This will be his main weakness I think and I don’t know if he will ever develop beyond this limitation. He still looks surprised by pressure whenever it comes.

Minshew made a couple of really nice throws, but he looks jittery in the pocket to me. He moves too fast too early, giving up on the play before it evolves.

I think that’s his nature. That he is confident he can make things happen outside the script. And it is evident that he can certainly do that much better than AOC can. But a) I can see that causing just as many problems as AOCs statuesque-ness and b) I don’t think that’s what AP wants.

I wouldn’t be surprised either way - but just feel that at least AP, if not the FO want AOC to start.

Also, Adam’s has been on the record in saying AOC and I think that will hold a lot of weight. Don’t expect he was too happy about that Bryant hospital pass!!!

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Any changes of opinion after game 1?

Flip a coin honestly. They are both backup level guys and the results will be the same. Regardless of who starts the season, the other guy is going to finish it. That seems obvious to me. 

Going to be a frustrating year at QB. A lot of yards are going to be left on the field each week. 

• Like 1