Bills sign WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling

SteelKing728

3 hours ago, Trentwannabe said:

I mean they obviously didn’t want Xavier.

But what does that have to do with MVS? 

9 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

If they had a WR1 it wouldn’t be bad… 

That's what I meant to quote. 

But (for some reason) I forgot they landed Keon Coleman. I think he's definitely going to be a #1 guy, probably just not this year.

• Like 1

I don’t really mind this.   MVS is a solid 3rd/4th option and he can keep the deep 3rd honest.     He was never worth what we paid him, but this contract is fine. 

A decent signing and not super expensive, big time deep threat.  

With Shakir taking another step which he will and Keon Coleman potentially being a beast as a jump ball WR, also have Claypool who maybe could finally get back to how he was early as a rookie and Samuel is a decent pickup as well.  They got options no question, also have Isabella, Cephus, Shorter and Hamler so one of them will show out as well most likely so that makes a pretty solid five WR group.  They brought in Mack Hollins as well ....

Honestly could be just fine without Diggs, another case where no you do not pay the WR big time money you just sign a lot of quality players and someone will show up and produce.  But one does need the QB first and foremost, then the WRs are not as needed especially high dollar ones.   That is a very promising WR group and they do not all of them to be good just three basically, and three of them will standout and if not there are options otherwise.  

26 minutes ago, D82 said:

That's what I meant to quote. 

But (for some reason) I forgot they landed Keon Coleman. I think he's definitely going to be a #1 guy, probably just not this year.

I gotcha. I think Coleman can get there at some point too. I think the pass game will run through Kincaid for a while anyway 

I love MVS.  He is a big target and super fast.  He is only about 50/50 catching the ball, so you don't give him 10 targets.  Throw him a couple of deep passes, if he catches them, you probably get 40-50 yards; if he doesn't, he still pulls a safety with him wherever he goes.  He is also a very good blocker for a WR.  He can play the goon role very well, despite not looking like that kind of WR.  

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I love MVS.  He is a big target and super fast.  He is only about 50/50 catching the ball, so you don't give him 10 targets.  Throw him a couple of deep passes, if he catches them, you probably get 40-50 yards; if he doesn't, he still pulls a safety with him wherever he goes.  He is also a very good blocker for a WR.  He can play the goon role very well, despite not looking like that kind of WR.  

Yeah. I'm surprised to read about his blocking, which is a welcome addition since Buffalo is going to run the ball a lot more. They have a lot of size in the WR along with Knox and Kincaid who will be on the field a lot. They're going to try to bully teams. Just have to hope the O line can gel after losing Morse.

10 hours ago, Ozzy said:

A decent signing and not super expensive, big time deep threat.  

With Shakir taking another step which he will and Keon Coleman potentially being a beast as a jump ball WR, also have Claypool who maybe could finally get back to how he was early as a rookie and Samuel is a decent pickup as well.  They got options no question, also have Isabella, Cephus, Shorter and Hamler so one of them will show out as well most likely so that makes a pretty solid five WR group.  They brought in Mack Hollins as well ....

Honestly could be just fine without Diggs, another case where no you do not pay the WR big time money you just sign a lot of quality players and someone will show up and produce.  But one does need the QB first and foremost, then the WRs are not as needed especially high dollar ones.   That is a very promising WR group and they do not all of them to be good just three basically, and three of them will standout and if not there are options otherwise.  

This is what I'm thinking. Shakir and Samuel are both very good #3s who have potential to be strong #2s in the Bills system. Coleman is the wildcard in that group. MVS brings an element they lacked, and I think he's fine as the #5 or #6 receiving option. Their bread-and-butter flows through the TEs, though. Knox and Kincaid are a killer duo. Knox is a solid receiving option while Kincaid is already a good receiving option who could become elite as soon as next year. 

Also, it's important to note that Brady wanted to spread the ball around more. Diggs was nonexistent to end the year. It was 'make plays by committee' rather than 'let's try to force the ball to our best weapon', and it worked wonders.

It's for this reason that I'm intrigued by this WR/TE room. They're big, fast, run great routes, have reliable hands, and if they're not getting the ball in their hands then they're going to play physical. It seems like Brady actually has an idea of what he wants this offense to look like, and I'm here for it. 

Edited by WizeGuy

2 hours ago, WizeGuy said:

Yeah. I'm surprised to read about his blocking, which is a welcome addition since Buffalo is going to run the ball a lot more. They have a lot of size in the WR along with Knox and Kincaid who will be on the field a lot. They're going to try to bully teams. Just have to hope the O line can gel after losing Morse.

This is what I'm thinking. Shakir and Samuel are both very good #3s who have potential to be strong #2s in the Bills system. Coleman is the wildcard in that group. MVS brings an element they lacked, and I think he's fine as the #5 or #6 receiving option. Their bread-and-butter flows through the TEs, though. Knox and Kincaid are a killer duo. Knox is a solid receiving option while Kincaid is already a good receiving option who could become elite as soon as next year. 

Also, it's important to note that Brady wanted to spread the ball around more. Diggs was nonexistent to end the year. It was 'make plays by committee' rather than 'let's try to force the ball to our best weapon', and it worked wonders.

It's for this reason that I'm intrigued by this WR/TE room. They're big, fast, run great routes, have reliable hands, and if they're not getting the ball in their hands then they're going to play physical. It seems like Brady actually has an idea of what he wants this offense to look like, and I'm here for it. 

You keep MVS on the field as your number 2 outside WR.  He isn't really your 2nd in pecking order, but that is what you line him up like.  There are a handful of plays that are "MVS shot plays" where he is pretty much the only route, you chuck it deep and he either gets it or the pass is incomplete.  You keep him on the field to open up the underneath routes, and then more often than not, he also takes out a corner or safety from a blocking perspective.  I think he very much helps take his teammate's 8 yard reception to a 13 yard reception.  

Also of note, his two worst team seasons were his rookie season, where the relationship between Aaron Rodgers and Mike McCarthy was too stagnant to continue, and last season's 11 win Chiefs team.  You could argue that he was with top-tier QBs his whole career, and that is valid.  But he is a winner.

2 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

You keep MVS on the field as your number 2 outside WR.  He isn't really your 2nd in pecking order, but that is what you line him up like.  There are a handful of plays that are "MVS shot plays" where he is pretty much the only route, you chuck it deep and he either gets it or the pass is incomplete.  You keep him on the field to open up the underneath routes, and then more often than not, he also takes out a corner or safety from a blocking perspective.  I think he very much helps take his teammate's 8 yard reception to a 13 yard reception.  

Also of note, his two worst team seasons were his rookie season, where the relationship between Aaron Rodgers and Mike McCarthy was too stagnant to continue, and last season's 11 win Chiefs team.  You could argue that he was with top-tier QBs his whole career, and that is valid.  But he is a winner.

Yup, and the Bills have a wealth of guys who run good routes, are sure handed, and can get YACs. I like the fact he's a good blocker. As I said, that's important in Brady's system (at least what we saw last year). Geez, imagine lining up against the run with Knox, Kincaid, Coleman and MVS out there? That's some big boys who like throwing their weight around. 

Let's bully teams with the running game while also having great route runners for the short and intermediate routes and using MVS to stretch the field keeping the Safeties honest. On top of that, you have a unicorn at QB and a very good RB in Cook. I'm digging what Brady and McD are cooking.

4 hours ago, Chiefer said:

He’s only useful in the playoffs. During the regular season your QB get so annoyed with his inability to catch that they give up on targeting him. Great blocker

Gabe Davis/MVS

Spiderman meme

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Trentwannabe said:

Gabe Davis/MVS

Spiderman meme

Hes worse than Gabe, but similar yes

Im actually ticked off because of his playoff ability, should help Buffalo there. Also his QBs tend to become MVP, so get your bets in now 

10 hours ago, incognito_man said:

Needs a new title: Bills sign two-time super bowl winning WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling"

More rings than Aaron Rodgers, playboi

Two more rings than Jordan Love will ever have too!

On 5/14/2024 at 9:22 AM, BobbyPhil1781 said:

I get Kincaid and Knox are in the equation but I have a hard time seeing how this is "incredibly solid".

It isn't. It's anything but. I won't be at all surprised if they miss the playoffs.