NYG TE Darren Waller Officially Retires

chiefs82

Crazy how fast careers happens sometimes.

Georgia Tech runs that goofy triple option but has two late round WR prospects with upside in DeAndre Smelter and Darren Waller.  Smelter goes to the 49ers if I remember right and gets hurt in a short career, and Darren Waller lands with the Ravens and converts to a TE on the practice squad. Greg Olson suggests signing him to Gruden and Waller becomes a star tight end for the Raiders often considered the third best in the league behind Kittle and Kelce. Two dominate years in and we saw two injury plagued years that were also high drama seasons for the Raiders. Waller's time with the Raiders had him marry LV Aces (Mark Davis' WNBA team) star and then not invite Josh McDaniels or something like that, then McDaniels traded him like a monthish into marriage to another Vegas athlete to the NY Giants for a third if I remember right. Then he has an injured plagued year for an injury plagued Giants. Offseason hits ands he gets divorced. Then he releases a song, and he's done music as a hobby his entire career, then he just retires. I wish he had at least a successful year for the Giants or something the end just seemed as fast as the nearly out of nowhere rise.

• Like 1

This was a long time coming. We rolled the dice on an injury prone player who not only got injured again, but divorced his wife and lost all passion for the game. The luck of the Giants, I guess.

• Like 2

Honestly a great story and a great career. Cringey rap career! But the dude was an outstanding human being! And it’s what second chances are all about. Talent means nothing without the right mindset. 

2 hours ago, y*so*blu said:

This was a long time coming. We rolled the dice on an injury prone player who not only got injured again, but divorced his wife and lost all passion for the game. The luck of the Giants, I guess.

You guys deserved all the bad karma. Souls were sold to

win those 2 rings off Brady. 

It's easy to make fun of his music and his whole marriage situation, but it sounds like this was a deeply thought out decision and Waller is ultimately a very insightful and good dude. He admitted to his passion for football fading, and he's got a lot he wants to do and continue to do for mental health initiatives. It's truly pretty honorable.

Can't say I'm ever going to listen to his music, but I do look forward to seeing what he does with the rest of his life. I think he's gonna do a lot of good for a lot of people. I hope he can find more happiness in retirement.

• Like 1

Shame he's calling it quits. And I mean it's just a shame that he won't be able to showcase what he can do on the field anymore. But if his passion is truly gone, then there isn't a point in sticking around. At least he got that payday before he retired. I do wonder if playing for the Giants for the foreseeable future aided his decision to call it a career. Guessing injures/daily grind were the top reason. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe