Realistically, how much do the Panthers improve?

They hired Tampa's OC, who recently helped Baker Mayfield to his best statistical season. Will he have similar success in Carolina? Can he be for Bryce Young what Sean McVay was for Jared Goff in 2017?

They've added some weapons in the draft and they improved the offensive line, so at the very least they should be much better offensively.

They also play in a weak division, so who knows how things might turn out.

What would you say is a realistic win total for Carolina in 2024?

2 hours ago, NudeTayne said:

I'm going 4-5 wins.

Agree with this.

They'll definitely be better, but still pretty bad. I think Canales will help Young improve, but they still should have taken Stroud.

• Like 2

I hate the construction of their roster. Not sure how any other team is capable of being worse than them.

They will have the #1 pick again. And it’s not necessarily an indictment of their QB/HC if they suck. The roster around them is impossible. 

I'm just gonna say they can't be any worse. 

I think they're legit gonna pull a 2017 rams and win the AFC south with a 9-8 maybe 8-9 record.

4 hours ago, Xmad said:

I think they're legit gonna pull a 2017 rams and win the AFC south with a 9-8 maybe 8-9 record.

Can you hook me up with some of whatever you're smoking?

• Like 2

On November 10th Carolina gets to "host" the Giants in Munich.  This is likely the only game in which the Panthers will be favored so I'll say they cap out at 2 wins in 2024, selecting second in 2025 behind the hapless G-men.

====  PFF 2024 [vs 2023] Aggregates, DVOAs, Ease of Schedules  ====

0611  Ovrl-Rk-2023 DV | Off-Rk-2023 DV | Def-Rk-2023 DV || W/L-From
2024  **** **      OA |             OA |             OA || EoS-2023
                      |                |                ||
Atla   873-12-[27] 28 | 405-24-[15] 24 | 468--9-[14] 24 || 1st-[ 2]
N.O.   899-15-[10] 15 | 356-14-[ 2] 17 | 543-15-[ 4] 15 || 2nd-[ 1]
T.B.  1128-29-[ 8] 18 | 511-31-[19] 20 | 617-23-[28] 14 || 5th-[12]
Crla  1253-31-[31] 32 | 561-32-[28] 31 | 692-30-[30] 25 || 4th-[20]
                      |                |                || 
NYGS  1361-32-[22] 30 | 466-26-[25] 30 | 895-32-[31] 21 ||  26-[24] 

Yes, technically, they are slightly better less awful than 2023 (1253 vs 1269), but they've tread water relative to the field.

10 hours ago, Xmad said:

They don't play in the AFC South...

A lot of it depends on Bryce Young, but you could say that about any team and its quarterback.  

I'm not sure what my expectations are for Bryce.  On one hand, I loved him as a prospect.  I still argue that his size is the least of his problems.  And he landed in a situation that turned out to be as bad as it gets.  On the other hand... woof.  After about Week 5 or 6, the positives that Bryce would occasionally show evaporated and the bad was front and center.  Some of it you could blame on the situation around him.  I thought he looked a lot less confident towards the end of the year than he did at the start, which tells me all the hits were adding up.  But some of it has to fall on him.  The poor and at times lazy footwork especially.  If I had liked him any less as a prospect, I would probably be out on him already.  

The rest of the offense around him should be better, on paper anyway.  The guard position has been improved.  Diontae and Legette should give us what we didn't have last year and that is 2 guys who can separate and make plays after the catch.  But there's too much unknown with Bryce to think that the offense can be even middle-of-the-pack good.  

The defense is as much of an unknown.  Evero did a good job last year, but talent wise there are some major holes.  I expect the run defense to be much better with who we added, but the pass rush might be down in the dumps.  And the only hope in the secondary is if Jaycee Horn stays healthy.  And my confidence in that happening might be less than the confidence I have in Bryce.

We've seen worse teams (I think? We were pretty damn bad last year, so maybe not) turn it around before but I can't see more than 6-7 wins for us.  And that to me would be a good season for us.  My prediction is 4-5 wins.

Offensively, I guess it all comes down to how well Bryce adjusts to the change in scheme and develops chemistry with his weapons. They added talent, but he has to make it happen. I loved Leggette as a prospect, reminds me a ton of AJ Brown, but he could also end up being just another Gabe Davis. Diontae Johnson should be a legitimate upgrade, but he's not a true number one. Thielen is still reliable and essentially WAS the Panthers offense last year.

Realistically, I think 2019 Buffalo might be a reasonable offensive expectation.

2019 Buffalo added Cole Beasely and John Brown at WR, as well as IOL Mitch Morse and Quinton Spain in free agency. Josh Allen was a train wreck in 2018 as a rookie but started to put it together in year 2 with an average supporting cast. I think Bryce Young's situation is very comparable as far as the starting point and the amount of talent added on offense.

I think the defense will be solid, but will ultimately lack enough juice in the pass rush to perform any better than the bottom 10.

Offense finished around 20 in DVOA, defense around 24ish.

4-13???

Young holds the ball forever, leading to a ton of sacks. Even if he improves, he's not going to last long given how small he is. 

That said, the current version of Andy Dalton really isn't any worse than Young so the QB position is what it is. 

They've added some young talent on the team, but they still look like a bottom 10 team at absolute best. They just won't be the worst team in the league again.