Jordan Love to sit out practice until new deal reached

vike daddy

16 hours ago, Xmad said:

That's the Washington Commanders. A premier NFL franchise.
You literally cannot buy the packers thus they are not worth much as a collective football team on the open market.

https://www.sportspromedia.com/news/green-bay-packers-2023-season-financials-revenue-profit/#:~:text=The National Football League's (NFL,million on the previous campaign.

The Packers as a brand are strong in Wisconsin and that's about it. NFL Legacy is cool and all but they're not worth that much as individual franchise since you can't actually buy them and their brand reach is limited. 

"but they're an NFL franchise and are worth X amount" projections are not actual value also you literally cannot buy the packers so technically their value is their exact revenue at about $600 million on a good year.

Packers fans take over every stadium we go to. You're drunk. In Miami on Xmas day back in 2022. We filled the stadium. All my south FL friends were very surprised. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, RuskieTitan said:

That's all the snow birds coming down during winters.

The Packers actually travel really well. IIRC, wasn't the Chargers/Packers game in San Diego (or LA) like 75% Green Bay fans a few years ago?

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

The Packers actually travel really well. IIRC, wasn't the Chargers/Packers game in San Diego (or LA) like 75% Green Bay fans a few years ago?

I think you mean the one from 2011 which was 13 years back. Packers did take over that stadium. At the same time the Packers were 7-0, and were defending SB champs. They were going to flock well to every away game that season. 

Now that I think of it, when the 49ers were on the ropes against the Packers in the divisional round, I could hear the "Go Pack Go!!!" chants. That was disheartening. 

36 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

The Packers actually travel really well.

Because getting tickets to Lambeau is a massive PITA. Pre-ticket reselling sites, it used to be impossible unless you knew someone with season tickets. That's a significant part of the reason I never became a Packer fan, even when we wanted to go as a family we straight up couldn't.

Even today, I know plenty of Wisconsinites who plan their vacations around catching a road Packer game.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

Tbf any Chargers home game ends up being a home game for the road team 😆

• Like 4

21 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Calling the Commanders a premier franchise and the Packers not one is certainly interesting.

I'm talking in terms of revenue and branding. 

The commanders may be a **** franchise but everyone either hates them (NFC east teams) or their former owner.

Did you care more about the packers or Aaron Rodgers over the last decade outside of being a packers fan?

21 hours ago, StatKing said:

I want whatever you are smoking. Packers are a cornerstone franchise and easily one of the biggest brands in the league. There's a reason the league gave them like 6 primetime games last year even with all the uncertainty surrounding them.

Eh that's just a scheduling team thing if they sucked flexing takes care of that.

19 hours ago, Forge said:

I think love will get 56-57. 

I don't think he's resetting the market by a ton

Valid.

19 hours ago, NJerseypaint said:

I don't know how you do company evaluations but yearly revenue does not equal the total value of company. The value is whatever someone is willing to pay, and any rational buyer would be including future earnings in their evaluation.

But you can't buy the packers. Future earnings don't matter when you literally can't buy them.

They are such a unique NFL franchise that they are worthless to anyone who isn't the NFL or the packers fans who fund the team. 

I don't say this because I think they're a bad franchise or anything like that, they're just the unique case of you cannot have it. Someone offers the packers in hopes of moving them for the franchise and the fans get a cut? Not happening so thus they are worthless to anyone outside the NFL and packers fans. 

4 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Because getting tickets to Lambeau is a massive PITA. Pre-ticket reselling sites, it used to be impossible unless you knew someone with season tickets. That's a significant part of the reason I never became a Packer fan, even when we wanted to go as a family we straight up couldn't.

Even today, I know plenty of Wisconsinites who plan their vacations around catching a road Packer game.

This is also a core problem of their business model lol. The Packers have to fund their own stadium and everything else with just league revenue and fan support they don't have a financial backing of anything else.

5 hours ago, Xmad said:

But you can't buy the packers. Future earnings don't matter when you literally can't buy them.

They are such a unique NFL franchise that they are worthless to anyone who isn't the NFL or the packers fans who fund the team.

And I can't literally buy Microsoft. That doesn't make Microsoft not worth trillions of dollars.

6 hours ago, Xmad said:

I'm talking in terms of revenue and branding. 

Cowboys, 49ers, Packers, Steelers, Patriots, Chiefs. Those are your cornerstone NFL franchises as far as branding goes.

Chiefs are a heavyweight due to the last decade, Patriots due to the greatest dynasty in league history still being fresh in the minds of many. The rest have multiple periods of sustained success and major legacy with huge fan bases that travel very well.

I watched the Super Bowl in Louisville, KY due to work travel for a store opening. I decided that instead of watching the game from the confines of my hotel room, I'd go out to a local sports bar to watch the game. My choices were a Packers bar, Steelers bar, or 49ers bar in close proximity to my hotel. Decided to go to the 49ers bar. Now, Louisville is only like an hour and a half from Cincinnati but it has more fans of those teams than Bengals fans. 

Honestly, arguments could be made to throw the Raiders in there with the rest of those guys, too. Probably the Browns as well.

But those first 6 I mentioned are the biggest brands. Commanders are just in a great market. Like the Giants, Jets, Rams, Chargers, Texans, and Cardinals. But most of those teams aren't powerful brands. 

9 minutes ago, HoboRocket said:

Cowboys, 49ers, Packers, Steelers, Patriots, Chiefs. Those are your cornerstone NFL franchises as far as branding goes.

Chiefs are a heavyweight due to the last decade, Patriots due to the greatest dynasty in league history still being fresh in the minds of many. The rest have multiple periods of sustained success and major legacy with huge fan bases that travel very well.

I watched the Super Bowl in Louisville, KY due to work travel for a store opening. I decided that instead of watching the game from the confines of my hotel room, I'd go out to a local sports bar to watch the game. My choices were a Packers bar, Steelers bar, or 49ers bar in close proximity to my hotel. Decided to go to the 49ers bar. Now, Louisville is only like an hour and a half from Cincinnati but it has more fans of those teams than Bengals fans. 

Honestly, arguments could be made to throw the Raiders in there with the rest of those guys, too. Probably the Browns as well.

But those first 6 I mentioned are the biggest brands. Commanders are just in a great market. Like the Giants, Jets, Rams, Chargers, Texans, and Cardinals. But most of those teams aren't powerful brands. 

And all of them have value outside of the NFL. The packers do not. 

On 7/23/2024 at 5:56 PM, CWood21 said:

Calling the Commanders a premier franchise and the Packers not one is certainly interesting.

As a Bears fan I love it. I don't agree, but these are the takes that make my offseasons worthwhile. 😆

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

As a Bears fan I love it. I don't agree, but these are the takes that make my offseasons worthwhile. 😆

The packers are at least relevant. 

Hopefully the bears can too be relevant with the drafting of their latest shiny new franchise QB. It can't go any worse.

On 7/23/2024 at 5:12 AM, 43M said:

Once again, I absolutely loathe how QB contracts have turned into "all or nothing".   Hardly any in between.    I said it before, and I will say it again...

Not all "franchise" QBs are created equal....yet they are paid as if they are.

Guys like Jordan Love and Trevor Lawrence have never proven anything remotely close to the actual top QBs in the league, but instead of paying them based on what theyve actually shown, they get paid based on what teams hope they MIGHT eventually be.

And how many of them actually turn out to be worth it?   Like, based on the percentage of the cap they take up and how vital they are to their teams success....how many end up truly being worth it?

This is essentially a lottery ticket....but youre paying the taxes up front, whether you win or not.

Agents and players know they have most of the power, and I like the players having power over the owners, but its pretty annoying seeing players who have barely shown anything expecting top end pay.

On the other hand, Green Bay handled this whole situation horribly, so I don't feel bad for them.

But no, I absolutely wouldnt pay Jordan Love right now...unless he is willing to take a 2 year "prove it" deal.   In that case, make him play out 2024 and franchise him next year if you have to.    If you end up having to pay more going forward, so be it, but at least you have a better idea of what youre getting.   

Or you dodge a bullet altogether and dont end up in a Daniel Jones type situation.

It’s really not that different from the wild rookie QB contracts that led to the rookie salaries being slotted. Eventually they will come up with some solution that wiggles the money around a bit but mid tier QB’s getting insane money is a forever thing. 

9 hours ago, HoboRocket said:

Now that you mention it. There's multiple Greenbay Packers bars in FL. I also went to a Steelers Bar in Augusta GA of all places. 

• Like 1