Broncos name Bo Nix as starting QB

BroncoSojia

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Excellent.

Why? This is pretty awful for my team as I'd much rather have someone like checks notes Gardner Minshew starting at QB for the Broncos.

Edited by BroncoSojia

I mean it was a forgone conclusion after the Packers game. Stidham played pretty bad for almost 2 full quarters and Wilson couldn't run the offense and had losses on multiple plays. Meanwhile Bo again showed ability to lead drives, even after holding penalties and 3rd and longs and a surprising ability with his legs.

Dude is as advertised supercomputer already going through progressions on offense and reading defenses pre-snap. It's honestly impressive and absolutely translates to the NFL game that is often in shell formation to prevent over the top stuff...doesn't really matter if it's preseason or not. Will he face adversity? Yes of course, but he seems to have the brain to adapt as other coaches do. He's showing skills the other rookie QBs aren't in preseason and that's honestly pretty surprising to me. 

I will say the knock I see with him is he has some foot issues with his form (though he's acknowledged this in press conferences) and probably because of this, can throw low at times. His accuracy is as advertised though most of the time and his ability to anticipate throw is pretty clear. There's not a lot of negative to say of him right now

• Like 4

Know a Bringham Young fan who was adamant that Zach Wilson was going to win the starting job even after Nix was drafted.... sounds like he's not even beating out Stidham for the QB2 job lol.

I really wasnt high on Nix and still think he's a second round talent, but considering their other QBs, this is by far their best option. Will be interesting to watch, if nothing else.

19 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Know a Bringham Young fan who was adamant that Zach Wilson was going to win the starting job even after Nix was drafted.... sounds like he's not even beating out Stidham for the QB2 job lol.

I really wasnt high on Nix and still think he's a second round talent, but considering their other QBs, this is by far their best option. Will be interesting to watch, if nothing else.

The fact Nix has looked great in preseason speaks to how vanilla preseason is (duh), but also to how well Sean Payton can scheme / fit a QB's strengths & limit their weaknesses with enough advance preparation.    Last year was a bigger testament to how limited the current version of Russell Wilson is from his peak years (where his insane skills and ability to extend plays and avoid pressure masked the inability to place to spots, or see/use the middle of field).    2023 was so telling - our 1H production >>>>> 2H production, because once teams saw how Payton limited Wilson's flaws for that game and adjusted, Russell had nothing to fall back on once they took away the initial edges created from the week's prep.   That should improve dramatically with basically anyone-but-Russ, if they have even just league-average QB talent.

Nix isn't even close to elite-ceiling, and in that respect, I'm never a fan of spending a 1st on limited-ceiling guys.   Having said that, Payton's a guy who can make it work, provided that the QB in question can do 4 things - get the ball out on time, make the right read, throw to spots (not wait to see the guy open like Russ needs), and use the entire field.   

Bo Nix can do those things well - I'm not sure he can throw guys open, or create magic on his (he can run if pressured, yes, but I'm talking about making guys miss the way Allen, Mahomes, Lamar etc. can, or make the insane throws like Mahomes/Herbert/Allen/Burrow do routinely).    So even though I have reservations of his ceiling, I'm quite optimistic the O will be 10x better with him there, even with rookie pains, because of how limited Russ' corpse was....but I'm also not sure we'll ever be able to match up with the big gun QB's on good teams - which is what you want long-term.     But still, we're likely 10x better now than the last 2 years (low-bar).   I'll gladly eat crow if I'm wrong and he's a star.  But I'm also not going to deny that he's what Payton needs to let his full O unfold.   So we'll see how it goes.

And yeah, if your competition is Jared Stidham and Zach Wilson.....as a 24-year old rookie with that many SEC games (and then ORE's O).....not really as much benefit in sitting as with the untested, 20-21 yo low-rep vs. elite college competition rookie guys.     

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1